Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2018, 10:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster View Post
Arctic, sounds like your plan is set.
I'm curious, did you reach out to Weldtec?
The well known builders I've worked with in the past have mostly fallen into the "were so busy with large projects that there is little or no time left for the small stuff" I've seen this happen time and time again, and totally understand when they can't make me a priority.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
I had to check, I thought there’s no way shipping springs to you from Denver is cheaper than from SoCal. In fact, Denver adds around 100 mi. to the shipping distance to you than from Santa Ana. Go figure.
I was talking about shipping from Detroit, the shop I had first hoped would build my springs. I assume if I had ordered Devers, they would be built in Oregon and I could just pick them up in person, but now that I'm back to shipping, I'll have them sent to my buddys shop in California where I can put the van up on a rack to switch them out, and it's on the way to Baja too.

As for your build, you don't need the full interior to camp on the beach, your outside most of the time anyway. I'll just bring extra beer, you won't know the difference.
Advanced 4wd
Old 10-03-2018, 11:00 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I was talking about shipping from Detroit, the shop I had first hoped would build my springs. I assume if I had ordered Devers, they would be built in Oregon and I could just pick them up in person, but now that I'm back to shipping, I'll have them sent to my buddys shop in California where I can put the van up on a rack to switch them out, and it's on the way to Baja too.

As for your build, you don't need the full interior to camp on the beach, your outside most of the time anyway. I'll just bring extra beer, you won't know the difference.

Get front a back weights call deavers and be happy

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseberry View Post
Get front a back weights call deavers and be happy
If this works out, I'll save $1000.00 over the cost of Deavers, and three to four weeks waiting time. So far, I'm happy, I placed the final order today after discussing my desired outcome again, and then gave him my credit card number. He quoted three to four weeks delivery in his contract, but thought he could begin building them early next week. Every time I've called, I've talked directly to the owner and felt he was helpful and honest about what is possible. I should know in a few weeks..................
Advanced 4wd
Old 10-05-2018, 10:35 AM   #15

Garage
Agile makes custom leafpacks too (or rather has a guy that does). I was going to have them build me a progressive set and remove my lift block just like you are wanting. I believe its about $1200 or $1300 for the set last I checked but probably a longer wait time 4-6 weeks plus? Ill be interested to see how yours work out, seems like a great price.
nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:26 AM   #16

Interestingly, several years ago a company in Southern Cal named National Spring did some work on my front springs (re-arched them). That company folded up shop, and one of the former employees started producing springs at his home after building some of the needed equipment. Today, he continues to manufacture springs and is the main supplier of custom leaf springs for many of the well known van builders in Southern Cal, some of the same builders that are so busy that they seem to have placed spring replacement lower on the priority list. Since demand seems to be high, his lead time is longer than some, and his price a bit higher. (no doubt due in some part to the shop's markup) Ordering directly from the manufacturer may have saved me some money and time,but the jury is still out as I don't have them yet.
Advanced 4wd
Old 10-05-2018, 12:25 PM   #17

Looking forward to hear how the Alcans turn out. I talked to the owner a couple times as well. Was about to pull the trigger when a new set showed up my mechanics from UJ unexpectedly the very day we were going to order from Alcan. Chris never let us know he was sending me new ones. Although the new ones didn't fix my sag issues and had to eventually add some leafs to the pack. Alcan seemed like a good source in the future.
keytothestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:34 PM   #18

Just FYI that Agile is 12 weeks out for custom springs.
wish41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wish41 View Post
Just FYI that Agile is 12 weeks out for custom springs.
I assume your talking about leaf springs. Coil springs seem to have a much shorter lead time, or at least they did.
Advanced 4wd
Old 10-06-2018, 04:14 PM   #20

Yes, leafsprings.
wish41 is offline   Reply With Quote