Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2018, 09:33 PM   #21

I got a call today asking for shipping information and some additional information about the U-bolts I ordered. He said my springs, mounting hardware and U-bolts will go out tomorrow. Lets see, that's only a week since I placed the order, I'm saving about $1000 over the cost of the Devers, and well over a month in waiting time. I'm getting an 8 leaf, progressive pack with an additional 4 inches of arch so I can remove the blocks I now have, and two other major spring manufacturers said it couldn't even be done. What could possibly go wrong?

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:06 AM   #22

Wow, they were fast! Thanks for the update and continue to keep us posted.
wish41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:33 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I got a call today asking for shipping information and some additional information about the U-bolts I ordered. He said my springs, mounting hardware and U-bolts will go out tomorrow. Lets see, that's only a week since I placed the order, I'm saving about $1000 over the cost of the Devers, and well over a month in waiting time. I'm getting an 8 leaf, progressive pack with an additional 4 inches of arch so I can remove the blocks I now have, and two other major spring manufacturers said it couldn't even be done. What could possibly go wrong?
"It can't be done" HA! It has been done millions of times since leaf springs were invented.

I really hope this works out.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:41 AM   #24

If I seen this sooner, I might have suggested what idid with mine. A newer F250/350 style spring can be put in giving you a 10 inch longer leaf spring for a smoother ride with more articulation. Obviously you could have then had the custom pack made based on that spring length.
Slicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
"It can't be done" HA! It has been done millions of times since leaf springs were invented. I really hope this works out.
I think it's more "we won't do it" despite them saying "we can't" When I pressed the guys at Detroit spring about why it was impossible, they never really answered the question, but when I asked if it was a matter of tooling, they said "mostly". I got pretty much the same answer from a couple other manufacturers too, and came to the conclusion that it's more a question of liability. They don't want to work outside the box that stock springs are in because it safer. If something doesn't fit or work as desired they are safe in saying they were built as designed, and we didn't do the design. Alcan spring on the other hand seems happy to design a spring any way you want. In addition, communication has been top notch, with another call today to see if I wanted to upgrade to grease-able mounting bolts and to confirm they are shipping today.
Advanced 4wd
Old 10-17-2018, 07:26 PM   #26

I'm also interested in your updates.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:03 PM   #27

The springs and hardware were delivered today, just two weeks after I ordered them, but I'm about 900 miles from where they are, so I can't say anything about them yet. I expect to get down there in a couple of weeks to install them and will report back after that. So far, so good.
Advanced 4wd
Old 11-09-2018, 02:50 PM   #28

The springs are in. They fit perfectly, the ride height seems just right, and all supplied hardware was correct. After I put a few miles on them and re torque everything, I'll have a full report.
Advanced 4wd
Old 11-09-2018, 03:29 PM   #29

👍Sweet, anxious to see how they ride and act after they are broke in some.
Slicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:53 PM   #30

Garage
Been following your Thread since I'm contemplated replacing mine in early next year. Look forward to hearing your thoughts once you've put the new packs through a trial run.
For comparison, May i ask what your Van weighs in at? And are you running Fox shocks?