Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2017, 07:58 PM   #1

Spark Plug Troubles

All,

I've owned my '06 E350 5.4L gasser for about two years. Ashamedly, I'm just getting around to a tune up. This past weekend I changed the plugs, fuel filter and air filter. I got to the last plug, number 3 (third one back on the passenger side) and it wasn't very tight. I kept turning the ratchet and it wouldn't come out. I kept turning and turning and nothing, the plug is stripped and won't tighten or loosen.

I'm guessing the threads are stripped in the head or possibly it's been repaired in the past with the rethread insert. I put it all back together and it runs ok, no noticeable difference in performance.

Has anyone gone through this before?

Thanks,
Justin

Jboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:29 PM   #2

Are you sure the socket was actually grabbing the spark plug? Even a small piece of debris will keep it form grabbing. I'm skeptical a completely stripped spark plug threads are stripped, it wouldn't be running just fine.

One other thought though.... if a plug did need a repair in the past, and they used the NAPA solution repair kit... It's uses a smaller plug from the newer Triton motor, in which case your socket definitely won't grab.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:35 AM   #3

No 3 has really good access from inside the cab. It was really easy to feel the socket grab the plug and slip on and off the hex nut part of the plug. There was some resistance to the socket while on the plug, none when it wasn't.

I know, I'm skeptical too. I'll do a triple check and see if the plug may be smaller size. I'll try tonight.

Thanks.
Justin
Jboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:27 AM   #4

Sorry to hear your having this issue, hopefully it's just a smaller plug. It's why, for the first time ever, I took my van to the dealer to have the plugs changed. It was stupid expensive, but at least I didn't have to stress about wrecking something. Best of luck.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote