Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2011, 11:17 AM   #1

Step-by-Step Amsoil Oil Change Process

Hey guys, I've searched around on the site and can't find that anyone has ever done a full write-up on changing the oil on an Amsoil vehicle.

Now that I live in the booneys and can't run down to Hubert to do my oil changes, I guess I need to learn for myself.

I'm willing to do the process, take the pictures, and document the whole thing so that it can be posted as a sticky here but I need someone to walk me through it first! If I remember right, there was some talk about it being easier/less messy to puncture the filter, etc.

I'm happy to document both the process for actually replacing the oil as well as the intermediate steps of just replacing the filter, I just want to talk with someone knowledgable first before I launch into it.

I'll write up the tools list, parts list, photos, step-by-step and "double-check" issues, etc. I just need someone to fill in a few blanks.

I know that there has been much discussion on the location of the grease zerks also which I will put into the overall write up since I always seem to forget myself.

Are there any takers for walking me through this over the phone for the ultimate write-up on the step-by-step process?

If soemone's already done it then good on them and let me know where the link is?

DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #2

Re: Step-by-Step Amsoil Oil Change Process

I have some details on my home computer that I will share later tonight. However, it really is a simple process (luckily). I'm also more than willing to walk you through this over the phone if that would help you out.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #3

Step One

Make sure your Amsoil system is installed correctly.
See viewtopic.php?p=17313#p17313
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #4

Charile56, Thanks.

Sdwindandsea, I will reach out to you when time comes for me to do the change. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #5

No problem, just send me a PM. I completely forgot to look up the info last night. I'll try to remember this evening when I get back home. Sorry about that.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #6

Ok, here are my notes and additional comments. A lot of this is the result of recommendations from Jim, the Amsoil rep for SMB.

Here are the items I use.
Donaldson P553411 (full flow filter)
Eabp-100 (bypass filter)
AME-01 15W-40 diesel oil
  • You will need 16.5 quarts of oil for the change.[/*:m:3oqtjw7s]
  • Perform the oil change when the van is dead cold[/*:m:3oqtjw7s]
  • I punch a hole in the bottom of each filter and let it drain for about one hour (or more). This can get a bit messy as the oil sometimes drips on the cross beam under the filters. Also, I do not recommend doing this on a windy day. I put a large plastic sheet under the van during this part of the process. Finally, it seems like it drains better if you remove the oil cap under the hood and loosen the filters a bit first before punching the hole.[/*:m:3oqtjw7s]
  • Once the filters have drained, remove them.[/*:m:3oqtjw7s]
  • Now you can drain the oil from the pan. I use a Home Depot 5 gallon orange bucket to collect the oil, it is the perfect size.[/*:m:3oqtjw7s]
  • Once all the oil has drained, replace the drain bolt.[/*:m:3oqtjw7s]
  • Put 1 quart of oil in white filter (can hold more, but don't put in). Then lubricate the gasket with some oil and screw the filter on tight. Jim recommended hand tightening it then using a wrench strap for another 1/4 turn. I just use gloves and my hands as this is easier for me. Same with the black filter.[/*:m:3oqtjw7s]
  • Pour oil in middle of black filter until it reaches the edge. I can't remember how much this is, but I seem to recall it is around 1 quart. Then lubricate the gasket with some oil and screw the filter on tight.[/*:m:3oqtjw7s]
  • Put no more than 13 quarts in engine.[/*:m:3oqtjw7s]
  • Let engine run for 15 - 20 minutes. After this, it should be about 1.5 - 2 quarts down. Fill the engine with more oil, keeping the oil level in the space on the dip stick.[/*:m:3oqtjw7s]

Hope this helps a bit.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #7

This is an awesome start. I'm going to work through this, gather the materials and then try to put together step-by-step complete with pictures.

Thanks again.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
Site Team

I think the biggest challenge is actually being able to see the (fresh, clean) oil level on the dipstick. It seems to me that snaking the long dipstick into and out f the tube results in clean oil all over the oil level indicator.

Herb
Old 04-07-2011, 10:43 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

Not to go off topic but AMSOIL is now offering a lower grade oil that is supposed to be changed at the regular rate that engine manufactures recommend...guess it's cheater in price and is supposed to be similar in quality to stuff like Mobile-1 synthetic.
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:09 AM   #10

Thanks for this guide, going to be giving this a shot soon.

Side note: holy crap the oil for this thing is a bit more expensive than for my Subaru Outback
crawpappy is offline   Reply With Quote