Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2013, 05:05 AM   #11
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Re: Sticky brake caliper, or something else?

Is that really a dedicated impact socket---photo makes it look too shiny. I've never seen an impact socket do that though---very odd.

At any rate your calipers were indeed done. As you mention vehicles in a four season climate that sit more than they're driven tend to experience that sort of rusting and corrosion of parts.

Glad you've got this sorted out now---nothing like a firm feelin' brake pedal!

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
Is that really a dedicated impact socket---photo makes it look too shiny. I've never seen an impact socket do that though---very odd.
It was from Harbor Freight, so I'm neither surprised or disappointed. It was an impact socket, but I've had it for close to 10 years and used it a lot, (21mm is the size of my Toyota lug nuts) so the black oxide coating has rubbed off.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:05 AM   #13
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogusBlake

It was from Harbor Freight, so I'm neither surprised or disappointed. It was an impact socket, but I've had it for close to 10 years and used it a lot, (21mm is the size of my Toyota lug nuts) so the black oxide coating has rubbed off.
That's makes more sense then----I didn't get the impression you'd use a chrome standard socket with an impact but had to ask!

Quite a life span for any sort of tool though, especially an impact socket.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #14

Garage

Hi there-

I have a 2007 4x4 SMB, I had a caliper stick on the RH front under the convention center on a Friday night, I live in Seattle too. May be the weather and recent switch to salting our roads is to blame... Glad you've diagnosed it.

I replaced my brake system with OEM calipers, and bought rotors and pads from The Brake Man after cruising through these threads. http://thebrakeman.com/

I talked with the owner at length before ordering and while I had hoped for the 25% braking improvement over stock he promised, I'd guess I 'd describe it as more like a 10% improvement overall. Unfortunately wet braking is not much improved at all. All said, I am better off and generally happy with their parts and customer service. Just saying.

Hope to see you out there. Matt
dar636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #15

Earlier this week, since I was off work, I used the daylight to replace both front calipers. I mic-ed my rotors and they were still within thickness tolerance. I probably should have checked runout for warping, but I didn't. I also stopped driving the van immediately once I knew there was a problem.

Anyway, I shopped around for OEM calipers but ended up going with Napa's highest grade. I'm sure they're "globally sourced", but they looked OK and to my surprise, came with metal pistons instead of phenolic. The pads were pretty shiny and I had seen them smoking, so just in case, I replaced them too. I went with Napa's "Ultra Premium, Severe Duty" after the Napa guy said he sells those to a lot of tow truck shops. $80 for the set, we'll see how long they last...

I flushed out the old brake fluid with new Motorcraft PM-1C. It took a little under 32oz to flush the system and bleed the new front calipers. I also lubed the crap out of all the sliding pieces with that silicone based brake lube.

The labor part of this job is trivial. You just need a breaker bar and socket strong enough to get those caliper frame bolts loose.

I headed down to the long road (with few stoplights) East of Boeing Field and bedded in the new pads. People probably thought I was a weirdo- accelerating up to speed then slamming on the brakes time and time again... Luckily there weren't many folks out.

Everything is cool now. No pulling, when braking or not. Pedal feel is relatively firm; not rock solid (but it never was), but firmer than my other project car with 4-wheel, non-power discs. I'll probably bleed them again before the next trip just to be sure.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #16

I've heard very good things about the NAPA severe duty pads. Glad you are rolling, enjoy!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:28 AM   #17
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
I've heard very good things about the NAPA severe duty pads. Glad you are rolling, enjoy!

Also using the NAPA Ultra Premium pads! Along with the '08 brake upgrade to my '03 E250 I have pretty incredible braking power now. Considering I've been a bit lazy and the rear system will be renewed soon those pads definitely add more ummph to stopping.