Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2020, 09:58 AM   #1

Stock Turbo Model!? ‘98 7.3 Power Stroke

Hello,

I’m sorry if this is a total newb question, but what is the model number of the stock van turbocharger (1998 7.3)? I’ve seen “GTP38” mentioned once or twice, but am unsure if that is only the stock designation for the truck 7.3’s, or...? I know the “GTP38R” is a common upgrade turbo, but I don’t believe the “R” models came stock on any of the Ford production vehicles.

I only ask because some folks list parts as being available for a particular turbo using those alphanumeric designations (GTP38, TP38, etc), but when you ask them about whether or not they fit the van turbos, you get nothing but blank stares. It seems that most of the “knowledge base” on the net is geared towards the trucks.

What I’m specifically shopping for is a turbo blanket. The company I’m looking at makes one for the GTP38R, and said that it will also fit the GTP38, if that’s what I have, but I’m not sure. Eventually I’ll also be looking at rebuilding my stock turbo, most likely with better wheels (I know a lot of people change the compressor wheel, but RiffRaff lists a van-specific exhaust wheel (conceivably for the truck guys who use them) that boasts quicker spooling and further reduced EGT’s.

Anyway, again, sincere apologies if this has been covered, but I sure can’t find it.

Thanks!

crazycaseys53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:41 PM   #2

Garage
A blanket for the GTP38 unit should fit your van without issue. The main differences between the truck and van units are internal (aerodynamic changes) and result in a different part number for the turbo unit.

I will advise that adding a blanket to the turbine housing may have costly negative effects since the unit was not designed with those thermal restrictions in mind. We have several "thermally cladded" units going through R&D right now that never had issues until we wrapped them (packaging restrictions) and they started cracking due to uncontrolled thermal hot spots. If heat is the problem, adding thermal capabilities to the doghouse is a safer way to go.
http://https://www.quietride.com/web...12_catalog.pdf

Scott Thompson
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL View Post
A blanket for the GTP38 unit should fit your van without issue. The main differences between the truck and van units are internal (aerodynamic changes) and result in a different part number for the turbo unit.

I will advise that adding a blanket to the turbine housing may have costly negative effects since the unit was not designed with those thermal restrictions in mind. We have several "thermally cladded" units going through R&D right now that never had issues until we wrapped them (packaging restrictions) and they started cracking due to uncontrolled thermal hot spots. If heat is the problem, adding thermal capabilities to the doghouse is a safer way to go.
http://https://www.quietride.com/web...12_catalog.pdf

Scott Thompson
Thanks Scott! I appreciate the information. I also saw in another post that you work for Garrett, so I will take your recommendations about turbo blankets to heart. You guys are a primary sponsor for a good buddy of mine who runs turbo blankets from another of his sponsors on your turbos with some pretty insane boost and horsepower levels, and he swears by them, but, his engine bay also gets a lot more air movement than mine will, and I suppose that that may make all of the difference.

Anyway, it’s all very interesting stuff, and I thank you. I was mainly entertaining the idea of the blanket because my stock heat shield has seen better days, and I’m sure finding another one of those will be quite challenging. I didn’t even think that there might be a detriment to running a turbo blanket, given that the stock turbo has such a robust and well-fitting heat shield. I just assumed that the van turbo was way overbuilt for this application in terms of material thickness and strength. I suppose I must ponder...
Old 10-22-2020, 09:28 PM   #4

Garage
How much will a different compressor wheel really help egt’s?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
How much will a different compressor wheel really help egt’s?
They were advertising the turbine while to reduce EGT’s. I don’t know how a compressor wheel would either, but I know the two wheels have to be balanced somewhat. I’m pretty novice here, but if you could increase spooling while maintaining the increased exhaust flow of the van turbo’s larger exhaust housing, you’d have the best of both worlds.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:13 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycaseys53 View Post
They were advertising the turbine while to reduce EGT’s. I don’t know how a compressor wheel would either, but I know the two wheels have to be balanced somewhat. I’m pretty novice here, but if you could increase spooling while maintaining the increased exhaust flow of the van turbo’s larger exhaust housing, you’d have the best of both worlds.
Without changing the A/R of the turbine housing the time to spool should be very negligible at best. We spend a ton of time optimizing the turbo match to the engine, so in this case the most efficient scenario is stock is best. People to seem to overlook the fact that the 7.3 is not a powerful engine as it was only rated at 235/450 ish (dyno cert spec) in the van configuration. The setup was very limited from the start in terms of performance as it was non-intercooled and air flow in the engine compartment is quite low per CFD analysis. Changing wheels in the turbo to gain performance is likely less efficient than a water/methanol injection setup to help control EGTs.

Nearly all of my time is spent on the 6.7L Scorpion engine these days where we are pushing the limits of aerodynamics and thermal sustainability. It's fascinating what turbos go through during normal operating conditions.

Scott Thompson
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote