Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #11
Site Team

Re: Stranded in Ely

Quote:
Originally Posted by saline
The charge air cooler, radiator, fan shroud(s), fan, and all associated lines must be removed. It is a royal pain in the a$$. The charge air cooler and radiator can be removed as one piece. It is a messy two person job.
$900 doesn't sound so bad after all, provided of course they install the correct water pump.

Herb

Old 02-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #12

^ I tend to agree. The labor alone is the biggest cost. I imagine by them allowing me to help that I saved a few hundred dollars worth of time. Minus the skin I have lost on my knuckles.
I must say that the mechanic and I got the pump removed in 1/3 the time this morning as opposed to yesterday.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by saline
^ I tend to agree. The labor alone is the biggest cost. I imagine by them allowing me to help that I saved a few hundred dollars worth of time. Minus the skin I have lost on my knuckles.
I must say that the mechanic and I got the pump removed in 1/3 the time this morning as opposed to yesterday.
If nothing else, that was probably money well spent on getting educated on the removal and installation of a lot of engine parts.

Herb
Old 02-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #14

I have suggested this once before but I think we need to add another category on the home
page for 911 breakdowns on the side of the road. The Cummins group has this and its great
for when you traveling and experience mechanical trouble, I,v seen other members(Cummins group TDR) offering to help and even putting up said stranded members at their home or even driving out to help.

Dave Put and paste happy
unimogdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #15

If your still on the road going East on 50 detour at Dixie Valley and watch the F18 drop
bomb at the Navy bombing range, about 50 miles East of Fallon. Watch out for a road sign that states
Low Flying Planes, the range is on the left.

Dave
unimogdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:19 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage

Just curious, where are you staying? In the van?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #17

Back home in one piece without further issue. We stayed at the Prospector Hotel on the east end of town. The shop owner offered to let us stay in the van in the shop but we declined. It was nice of him to offer.
The shop D&S Diesel Service and Repair was decent and although they do not specialize in 6.0L per se, they are knowledgeable. They all smoke about 2 packs a day and blast butt rock hair bands on the boom box but I would recommend them if you need service in Ely. Even despite the wrong water pump. They moved a rig out of the shop on the spot and made changes in their schedule to try and get us back on the road. They also gave us a ride to the hotel.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #18

Stranded in Ely

Glad to here you got home safely.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
That sucks. Even with the plastic impeller blades you don't hear of too many water pump failures on the 6.0. Go figure?

Did you go OEM or find one like the BPD with aluminum blades. Diesesite offers one with metal blades as well.
Just to comment on my own comment but from what I've gleaned from the diesel forums is that the 05-up had an upgraded water pump compared to the early 6.0. Apparently the early 6.0 had all the water pump failures.

I like the looks of the BPD unit but it appears to flow the same as stock, just that it has a metal impeller instead of plastic. The updated Ford water pump may be more than sufficient.

You never really said what you ended up installing. OEM or aftermarket?
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote