Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2021, 06:58 PM   #1

Stymied By Stall in 1st Gear/Down Hill - 1999 E350/7.3L

I was wondering if anyone has experienced a problem that I have run into about three or four times with my 1999 E350, 7.3L. When driving a steep downhill in low/1st gear (in 2wheel or 4wheel drive), without any pressure on the accelerator, the engine stalls. It's happened often enough to make me gun shy about taking it off-road until I figure it out.

I have checked it out with our mechanic but they can't reproduce the conditions to assess the stall. I was wondering if anyone had experienced this and/or have any insights? Thanks!

Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:27 PM   #2
Site Team

I don't suppose you have a fuel pressure gauge?

Herb
Old 01-24-2021, 07:45 PM   #3

No fuel pressure gauge.....
Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:01 AM   #4
Orv

Garage
Does it happen even if the fuel tank is full?
Old 01-25-2021, 06:10 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Would such an event trigger a retrievable DTC or "code"? If this is transmission-related it would require being interrogated seeing if it had triggered a DTC.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:31 AM   #6

Garage
I had an issue a while back with the engine just shutting down after traveling over a small bump - high speed and low speed.
No mechanic (including dealership) could reproduce it, and no codes ever developed. Frustrating!
After the 5th or 6th trip to the dealership (and a lot of useful suggestions from members here), we uncovered the engine wiring harness had come apart slightly on the passenger side of the engine - just enough that a single wire would randomly make contact with the exhaust manifold. Insulation of the wire melted on that point of contact and became bare (just a very small section, and only visible when you turned the wire around to see the underside). Would cause a momentary short that shut down the engine.
Could it be you have a similar issue - since it happens at a specific angle ???
Hope you’re able to get this resolved - I feel your pain with regard to the anxiety it creates.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:16 AM   #7

I’d suspect wiring too. Possibly at the valve cover. Something is causing the injectors to stop firing.

That said.... is the engine oil low by chance? Could it be sucking some air? That would also cause the injectors to not fire...
Old 01-25-2021, 11:19 AM   #8
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Twoxentricx's point is perfect timing for me to suggest everyone with any sort of "adventure van" should frequently check under their hood for issues as he describes. During oil changes etc remove the dog house and any other part of the factory build in order to do a thorough inspection of anything critical to the engine's proper operation or affects reliability.

I myself will remove the dog house and all the air intake ducting (gasoline 5.4) back to the throttle body. I'm looking for chafed, melted, cut or other wiring maladies. Any high heat source that's too close to a wiring bundle has me moving it away and secured in place so normal bumps etc don't allow it to all fall back into a "dangerous" place.

I've seen these sorts of minor issues on my own completely street-driven vans. if its loose batten it down, damaged fix it but assure the cause is remedied too.

It would chap my arse being disabled, towed to a costly repair facility only to learn a bit of preventative maintenance might have avoided it all. We can't or shouldn't fall into that trap thinking since it worked yesterday all is well today.

Been there, done that and hope to NOT re-visit it!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:52 PM   #9

For the OP. How many miles on your 7.3? We need to know that and if you have had any other problems.
The reason I ask is the 7.3 engine's have a history of the injector harnesses in the valve cover wearing around 175k.
When the injectors are replaced (about then) it highly recommended to replace the 2 harnesses at the same time.

If it was back in the day I would say your float level is too high lol.........when things were more simple.
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:09 AM   #10

I had some stalling issue with my 7.3. I had read about delaminating fuel tanks. I pulled mine and did not find any issues, but I did find that the pick up foot had disintegrated and clogged the filters on the in tank fuel pump. Easy enough to clean, but I ended up replacing the tank anyway in preparation for the 4x4. Just another thought. I hope you figure it out. ��
Agile Offroad 4x4
chrisbaffico is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear, low range, stall