Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2020, 12:33 PM   #1

Swapping in factory 4.30 rear axle into 2wd E350?

Looking to regear and add a selectable locker to my 2004 E350 5.4. The price quote from 4WP was ridiculous IMO.

Currently the van is 2wd and will probably be that way for quite a while. If I was doing a 4wd right now then I planned on sourcing some newer F350 axles with the 4.30 gearing and factory E locker.

My question is there a way to run that 4.30 rear end for the time being? The issue I am running into is that the van front would be 8x6.5 lug spacing and the new truck axle for the rear would be 8x170. Is there a way to address this?

RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 12:43 PM   #2

You could do the rear swap now, and either carry two spares, carry a spare tire wheel-adapter, or run a pair of wheel adapters up front so you could run 8x170 wheels all around (with minimum backspacing). Or use adapters on the rear to keep you 8x6.5” wheels, but you’ll be just outside the body with your tires if you do that.
Old 10-04-2020, 03:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
You could do the rear swap now, and either carry two spares, carry a spare tire wheel-adapter, or run a pair of wheel adapters up front so you could run 8x170 wheels all around (with minimum backspacing). Or use adapters on the rear to keep you 8x6.5” wheels, but you’ll be just outside the body with your tires if you do that.
Ok, thank you! I was thinking it would have to be something like that. I have always been nervous about wheel spacers and figure wheel adapters would have the same issue.

If I ran any then I would prefer to run them on the rear. I will look into those. I would really like to keep the front and rear tires in line though.
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote