Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2019, 09:01 AM   #11

Garage
I had power problems for about a year. New FICM helped a bit for a while, but when I replaced all 8 injectors it was like getting a new engine. Vrooomm!

Old 01-15-2019, 11:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
Fine but your just trolling here and contributing nothing useful. I suggest you follow your own advice from one of YOUR threads
Wow. Guess you told me Is this where my feelings are supposed to be hurt Well,JOEY
Beasty Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty Boy View Post
Wow. Guess you told me Is this where my feelings are supposed to be hurt Well,JOEY

How old are you? Go troll somewhere else.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK33FAN View Post
Can you give us a rundown on what this is costing you? I will be dropping Sportacus off at a local shop in the next few weeks so they can check the injector circuit out. If I need a few injectors it may be wise to do some other bulletproofing while there are in there.
I am most interested in the cost of EGR and fuel injectors.

You can find OEM reman injectors for $200 ea. A repair shop or the Ford dealer is going to charge $300. The passenger side is a PIA. You have to raise the engine, remove the engine mount, and then lower to gain access to the head. That's the main reason to replace all 4 on that side if one craps out. InjectorsDirect.com – 6.0 2003-2007 MOTORCRAFT OEM REMANUFACTURED FUEL INJECTORS

The upgraded EGR cooler is relatively inexpensive but stick with the one from BPD rather than a cheap copy. Or, if you don't have emission testing in your neck of the woods you may consider deleting it.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty Boy View Post
I did. Lookin for another,but,WILL have a V-10. Will move on with NO diesel headaches
I guess I need to get rid of my diesel because it needs its eleventh set of tires.......624,000 miles
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK33FAN View Post
Can you give us a rundown on what this is costing you?
I have a total estimate of $7,700 for the work listed in my original post, but not a breakdown on each item. Since labor is a huge part of the work combining as much work as you can afford to be done at once is a good idea.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:49 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railvan View Post
... Since labor is a huge part of the work combining as much work as you can afford to be done at once is a good idea.
Depends on the shop. If the shop is strictly a flat-rate operation, they may charge a set number of hours for each individual task, even if there are efficiencies to be found when certain multiple tasks are combined. Worth asking about, and worth negotiating.

Herb
Old 01-16-2019, 11:41 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasm View Post
I guess I need to get rid of my diesel because it needs its eleventh set of tires.......624,000 miles
Well good for you There is always an exception. Sorry though I just don't
believe all those miles are on a 6.0 without some kinda problem.to another
Beasty Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:35 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railvan View Post
I have a total estimate of $7,700 for the work listed in my original post, but not a breakdown on each item. Since labor is a huge part of the work combining as much work as you can afford to be done at once is a good idea.

I'm one who believes in oil & fuel additives. I lost an injector and plugged the EGR early on about 24k miles on the engine. Didn't use cetane booster and idled the vehicle for 5-10 min before I drove it. After Ford did the warranty work I started using the fuel additive and quit idling the engine so long. I also changed the coolant every year and a half or so (no coolant filter back then). When I decided to start bullet proofing the engine at 85K, I asked the shop how it looked especially the turbo and EGR. They told me it was surprisingly clean considering it had 80+K miles on it. I did add a bulletproof EGR cooler in the rebuild because they look for any smog mods here in CA so blocking it wasn't an option. At about 85K I had a new harness installed (stock) & swapped the FICM to an HV atlas 40. At 92K I finished the job installing a DP tuner, new aluminum radiator, and had them heat wrap the harness.

I feel replacing the harness is something to think about as I've heard others having the same issue I had with it breaking down. It gets hot under that hood. Finished, I have dumped about 14K into my motor but considering how well the engine looked at 82K, other than the harness issue, I probably could have waited a few years more before tearing it apart.

6.0 gets a bad rap but at 115K, the only thing engine wise that has failed was an injector, two sensors, and a plugged EGR cooler. The rest of the headaches were from Ford equipment failures like the wiring harness, vac booster, alternator, radiator, transmission, and rear end. I do blame how hot it gets under the hood due nature of the 6.0 but I was surprised how much cooler it runs with the DP-60 hp tune installed compared to stock.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:40 AM   #20

As others have stated, I will second it. Replace ALL injectors while the engine is out, yes they are expensive but so is trying to change them once the engine is back in. Stay away from the high voltage ficm, use the updated ford oil cooler and simply delete/block off the EGR. Use a program and leave the EGR valve in for inspection purposes. Do not use the air cooled oil cooler from BP. Make sure the shop you use really understands what they are doing and get back to enjoying your van!! You will love the new found power! The tuner that will be needed will have some very nice HP tunes on it, once you dial that in you will be amazed at how nice the 6.0 will work for you!! It’s only money! Lol
(Disclaimer, check with state and federal laws before you attempt) lol