Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2018, 12:50 PM   #11

Well, lots of phone calls have taken place and here's where I currently stand. Summit has done a 180deg turn on replacing the rotors. They now refuse to even discuss replacing them, and say they only gaurantee against rust for 60 days. Another call to Powerstop (different guy this time) confirms that the metal used is prone to rusting out, and they will be happy to replace them with what ever different type I'd like. Great, with assistance from their tech, we pick out a set made in Germany that are made from a different metal. He confirms he will ship them out same day for delivery in two days, can't beat that. The following day, he calls back to say they don't have them in stock, and it wont be until July when they get them in. Ok, lets try another type, but it turns out they have nothing in stock except the same crappy one's I already have. Meanwhile, I'm trying to depart on Friday for a two week trip, so for now I guess I'll pick up a stock pair at the autoparts store. The saga continues.............

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:37 PM   #12

Garage
so was your braking with these powerstop rotors diminished? are there cracks in the rotors at all?

personally i wont use crossdrilled rotors ever. ive seen what happens to them under abusive conditions (autox/track days) and they always crack. i was told the only crossdrilled rotors that don't crack are Porsche rotors cause they are cast that way and not actually drilled.

I say abusive and to me with the weight of these vans and a long downhill the vans rotors are getting some serious abuse.

i started using brembo blanks after that set of crossdrilled rotors that i acquired for free started cracking. every set ive bought had excellent braking and got good life even with lots and lots of abuse (and beautiful coloring with blues, purples, bronzes, etc, lol). the price has always been right as well.

either way, i hope you can get it squared away where it doesn't impact your wallet too much.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:41 PM   #13

I was planning on returning my front PowerStop rotors, but it looks like I am stuck with them. I'll watch them after I start driving and update this thread.
flyr6105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:50 PM   #14

Here's a couple of links since some of the posts in this thread are with reference to aftermarket parts and production. FMTRVT is also TooManyTools on FTE and was a product tester in the brake industry. He knows his stuff.
Front Brake Suggestions and Hints - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...or-brakes.html
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
so was your braking with these powerstop rotors diminished? are there cracks in the rotors at all?

In the begining, braking power seemed better. After discovering all the rust, and driving up and down some steep hills in a effort to scrub it off, braking power seemed somewhat less, as would be expected when the pads are impacted with big flakes of rust particles. There are no cracks or detectable wear. The problem is that they rusted so badly, it filled the holes and slots and ruined the pads. Adding very small amounts of different kinds of metals and minerals at the steel mill is a real science. Smelting raw ore and adding different amounts of different kinds of scrap metal to the mix, has a huge impact on the propertys of the end product. Mixing raw materials like coke, limestone and iron ore are the basics of the mix, then other trace minerals are added to give the metal the desired propertys, depending on the end use. Once they have added the proper amounts of each material, they take a sample to the lab for a quality check. Once the lab says they are good to go, they poor the molten metal into ingots, slabs or large blocks which are later formed into the desired product. If the quality control is off, or just as likely, they are trying to save money and say it's good enough as is, no one will know, the end consumer gets an inferior product. Bolts are a good example. Counterfit bolts are a huge problem in aircraft. Any bolt used in an aircraft has certificates that follow them from the foundry where the metal was created, to the company that sells them, to the mechanic that installs them, they can all be traced back to the origin should there be a problem. Then there are fake bolts that seem to have the proper paperwork, but don't have the required strength and end up being counterfit. There is no such traceability with brake rotors that I know of, and the manufacturer gets what ever the foundry provides, unless they do their own lab analysis, which I doubt they do. So, I suspect my rotors used metal with inferior corrosion propertys. Since the fronts are still perfect and they both had the same exposure, it's clear to me there is little corrosion resistance in the Powerstops. Hopefully it was just one bad batch. Fortunately, I'm only out about $100 at this point, so it's a pretty minor expense. The new ones go on tonight.
Advanced 4wd
Old 04-10-2018, 06:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyr6105 View Post
I was planning on returning my front PowerStop rotors, but it looks like I am stuck with them. I'll watch them after I start driving and update this thread.
I was happy with mine prior to them rusting. They had improved performance, no noise, and seemed fine. If you dont let them sit for long periods, or drive in corrosive conditions (on the beach, through de-icer etc) they should not be a problem. Hopefully, the blanks Powerstop used had better metalurgical propertys than mine did. I'm guessing you will be ok.
Advanced 4wd
Old 04-11-2018, 05:51 AM   #17
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
Here's a couple of links since some of the posts in this thread are with reference to aftermarket parts and production. FMTRVT is also TooManyTools on FTE and was a product tester in the brake industry. He knows his stuff.
Front Brake Suggestions and Hints - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...or-brakes.html
Fascinating reading---thanks for sharing those links.

I did learn the Hawk pads might be a worthwhile look---not sure they'd be a real improvement for me but do seem to be something to consider.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:27 AM   #18

I think it is too late for me to replace the slotted rotors on the rear. The spacers were an absolute bear to remove. Since my van is definitely going to see lots of beach driving, I ordered Motorcraft front rotors. I have contacted the vendor CARiD to see if they would take the PowerStop rotors back. Keeping my beat up fingers crossed.
flyr6105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:14 AM   #19
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
The trouble with Powerstop rotors

I believe the Hawk LTS pads were what was recommended I use and are what I’m running now. There was a reason why I was told not to go with their superduty pads, even though the description sounds right for our rigs, I think it was because of the compound they use for them, they tend to squeak really badly.
I acquired my rather well sorted E36 M3 with race pads on the front, I enjoy the extra grip, but not so much the cringe worthy wailing that ensues every time I come to a stop, not to mention the looks I get from nearby motorists and pedestrians “Dude, you need to fix your brakes!” 🤦🏼

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:40 AM   #20

I have the Hawk LTS pads on dynatrac rotors. No issues with noise, dust, or decreased stopping distance when cold. At least not by my seat of the pants measureometer.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote