Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2018, 09:23 PM   #1

The trouble with Powerstop rotors

Three photos, one the original Ford front rotor that was on the van when I bought it five years ago. The other two are new (5000mi) Powerstop slotted / drilled rotors with Powerstop supplied pads. The Powerstop rotors are trashed, but the original Fords are mirror like. The holes in the rotors are completely plugged, and the slots are almost level with the disc surface. Corrosion is the problem, the van only sat for a couple months while the rotors rusted away unknown to me. Oddly, today I was at the local autoparts buying more ATF and on the counter was a Powerstop rotor, the same exact rotor I have. Their machine shop had just turned it and the guy mentioned it was in bad shape when they got it, but didn't mention the exact problem. So, I suspect Powerstop is sourcing their castings in China with little to no Quality control on the metalurgy. When you look at the original rotors there is very little rust while the rears are completely corroded to the point of plugging the holes. More to come after I call powerstop (and Summit, where I bought them)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5984.JPG   IMG_5983.jpg   FullSizeRender (51).jpg  

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:51 PM   #2

It suddenly occured to me that Summit is open 24 / 7, so I called them. It was after 1am at Summit HQ, but the phones were answered quickly. While talking to a very nice lady I looked up the Powerstop website and discovered the rotors are under warranty for rust within 60 days of Purchase. (HASSLE FREE)! Wow, 60 whole days. Well, the woman on the phone was great. Despite buying the rotors last April, she sent me a pre-paid shipping label, and will credit me so I can buy a different set of pads and rotors. Customer satisfaction. I still intend to call Powerstop on Monday though...........
Advanced 4wd
Old 04-08-2018, 04:47 AM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Sorry to hear you've had problems with new parts----good its been resolved.

Summit Racing and Jeg's are both somewhat local to me, both located here in Ohio. FWIW I've been buying stuff from Jeg's since the middle 60's, their last (and first/original) remaining brick & mortar store still open and thriving not too far from me. Along with eBay and Amazon they're one of the sites I'll check for so many things automotive related, not just higher performance items.

I've often heard of the Powerstop brand, one guy on FTE touting them with his own money-back guarantee to anyone disappointed in the performance. Yeah fat chance that ever coming true but it would be great testing his promise with your situation AT.

For whatever reason that brand has never appealed to me, could be I'm a price-snob thinking most costly is "better" somehow. I've used nothing but stock-style rotors, calipers and other brake parts directly from Ford. The only aftermarket parts are NAPA's Ultra Premium pads--@$100 for the front set maybe they meet my "more $$ is better" mindset?

I'll be interested in hearing Powerstop's reply especially since you have photos.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:45 AM   #4

This makes me feel real good I just put a complete set of powerstops on last week.
4x4sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4sporty View Post
This make me feel real good I just put a complete set of powerstops on last week.
The performance of the rotor / pad combo was great with a noticeable improvement in braking. The issue is rust. Prior to driving for the first time after sitting for a couple months, the rotors looked like cast iron that had been sitting in salt water with heavy corrosion. I will admit that just prior to sitting, I spent time in Montana where they seem to de-ice the roads with a mixture of salt and acid. When I got home, the underbody corrosion was extensive for only a couple weeks of exposure. I spent a lot of time pressure washing, treating and painting the worst of it, but there's nothing you can do to the rotors besides wash them. It's possible I got some from a bad batch and this is a rare problem, I hope yours don't suffer the same fate. The good news is that Summit is making this good, and changing them doesn't take long. I just need to figure out what to use next.
Advanced 4wd
Old 04-08-2018, 02:05 PM   #6

Offhand that does look like a lot of wear for 5000 miles. Perhaps if those miles were all at speed on a racetrack.

Did you manage to measure the remaining rotor thickness? I'm curious how much of the rotor is actually gone, vs the slots / holes filled in with rust and brake dust. I do see a bit of a lip on the side, but I feel like the slots would have been deeper than that.

Also, did you take those pictures after driving for a bit? I don't really understand how the pads wouldn't scrape off the rust.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
Also, did you take those pictures after driving for a bit? I don't really understand how the pads wouldn't scrape off the rust.
I only drove a few miles, but the rust was so bad that I assume it simply got impacted into the pads and coated the surface of the pads too. I tried poking out a couple of the holes, but the only thing that would work would be a drill. The slots are filled with the same thing as the holes, rust, brake dust, and possibly some mud. The fronts on the other hand have a like new surface finish. I plan to pull the wheels today and will measure the rotor thickness, but I don't think wear is the big issue here. I suspect a lack of chromium in the metalurgy.
Advanced 4wd
Old 04-09-2018, 11:15 AM   #8

This doesn't bode well! I too just installed a set on the rear of my van and have the fronts waiting for me to put on. Guess I'll watch this post to see how others have fared.
Attached Thumbnails
Rear RH brake assy.jpg  
flyr6105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:42 AM   #9

I spoke to a Powerstop tech today and they confirmed that they source their rotors from China. I have a lot of experience with Chinese metalurgy, mostly with gate and check valves used on overboard skin valves on ships. We installed quite a few one winter because they were less expensive, and by mid summer they were corroded shut, wouldn't move and had to be replaced. My sailboat had Chinese stainless fittings that all rusted and streaked rust down the hull. Casting metal is a bit like baking a cake, you can follow the recipe and get predictable results, or you can try substuting less expensive materials, but the end result might not be so tasty. It's possible that Powerstop simply got a bad batch of blanks, but there is no way to tell, so I'm going back to stock Ford rotors. Hopefully, other batches are more corrosion resistant, there must be thousands of Powerstop rotors out there that are performing fine. Additionally, as long as the van is used on a regular basis, surface rust should be worn off quickly, but mine sat for a couple months while the transfer case was out.
Advanced 4wd
Old 04-09-2018, 02:00 PM   #10
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
If you’re looking for an upgrade from stock, I’ve had good luck with my frozen rotors up front, got the slotted set. Holding up and still look and function great after several years with no significant rust, but I don’t live near the coast. Not sure of rotor origins

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote