Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2021, 07:09 AM   #121
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycaseys53 View Post
...Is anybody else having this issue with their PHP Hydra chip, and/or with PHP’s complete lack of service after the sale?

Thanks,
Casey
Casey, I hate to say this, but it may be time to consider an alternate Tune provider. A lack of support has you contemplating work-arounds that may jeopardize your engine IMO.

I imagine that you have a fair amount of money invested in your Hydra setup, but maybe you could find another vendor that could install their tune on the chip that you already own?

Herb

Old 01-02-2021, 08:46 AM   #122
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Thinking about DP Tuner

The fact that they haven’t responded is unfortunate, but it might be that they were forced to shut down due to Covid? I would try to reach out to one of their vendors listed, they might be able to help you out. I purchased mine from John Wood and one of his transmission installers loaded up the tunes. You also might have better luck with the lower hp tunes, 80 is pretty aggressive for stock gear, but you’re also seeing the issue with the 60 tune, so....?
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 11:00 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Casey, I hate to say this, but it may be time to consider an alternate Tune provider. A lack of support has you contemplating work-arounds that may jeopardize your engine IMO.

I imagine that you have a fair amount of money invested in your Hydra setup, but maybe you could find another vendor that could install their tune on the chip that you already own?

Herb
Yeah, I had considered this. It is unfortunate though, because I don’t have mods (like injectors and/or valvebody) that should require a custom tune. Hydra’s website says that if they don’t have tunes for your vehicle that they will write custom ones. Being able to plug and play to a certain extent is part of the product offering. My 7.3 is low mileage (just rolled over 90k), which was the major selling point when I bought my van in the first place. I certainly don’t want to jeopardize the best thing I got. 😊

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
The fact that they haven’t responded is unfortunate, but it might be that they were forced to shut down due to Covid? I would try to reach out to one of their vendors listed, they might be able to help you out. I purchased mine from John Wood and one of his transmission installers loaded up the tunes. You also might have better luck with the lower hp tunes, 80 is pretty aggressive for stock gear, but you’re also seeing the issue with the 60 tune, so....?
I guess you might be right about the Covid thing...though I’ve been trying to get this thing sorted out with them since the first week of November...maybe they just completely shut down for the holidays...?

I bought my chip from Clay at RiffRaff diesel. He’s been VERY helpful getting me the parts I need for the van, which as everybody knows is NOT a truck. 😊 I guess I’m almost at the point where I should get him involved, though I think his advice will be to just install a “boost fooler”, which he sells, and be done with it.

The truck guys seem to be very unafraid of deleting and tricking components to gain power. I’m trying really hard to look at that fact in a ls non-judgemental a way as possible. I know a lot of these guys in the forums are up in Canada doing pipeline work making GOBS of money, so their trucks are probably a bit more disposable to them than the average Sportsmobile owner’s rig. That said, my rig is an ex plumbing van, but it’s not at all disposable to me.

I come from a gasoline automotive background so the idea of adding boost without more fuel is very “wrong” to me, but I read in one of the forums that the 7.3 PCM is adding all the fuel it can at like 20psi, well before the 24psi limit (or wherever it is that it defuels and sets the CEL), and that adding a little more boost beyond that doesn’t lean things out the same way it would in a gasoline engine. I’m trying to wrap my brain around that so that I can understand if it’s logical or just Tomfoolery. I’m still currently at a loss. 😊

To your point about the +80DD being aggressive, after running it I hesitate to go back down to the +60DD. The difference cruising down the freeway at 70mph is really what it’s all about, so far as I’m concerned. I felt like I was killing this thing at 70 before, with my foot basically on the floor. Now it cruises, foot barely tipped into the throttle, and while I haven’t been able to really verify the mileage yet, I assume it’s probably better. That was what I meant when I said have my cake and eat it too. I’ll keep you all posted if I ever get a hold of PHP.
crazycaseys53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:42 PM   #124
Site Team

Quote:
...I bought my chip from Clay at RiffRaff diesel. He’s been VERY helpful getting me the parts I need for the van, which as everybody knows is NOT a truck. 😊 ...
Clay at RiffRaff is great, and I've gotten multiple upgrades from him for my 7.3L Excursion.

Herb
Old 01-02-2021, 01:17 PM   #125

This is a copy/paste from Bill @ PHP from over on PowerStroke.org in a thread titled “Why Do I Need a Boost Fooler”.

“ There are a few codes that can be addressed through proper tuning. P1211 ICP codes and P0238 Overboost codes are some of the ones that are easily addressed.

The big issue with overboost codes is that on most calibrations there is a hard limit set at about 25 PSI (175 kPa). Since most performance calibrations are going to achieve boost values in excess of this, we raise the value of the limit to the full extent of the MAP sensor. This allows the PCM to have full range of the MAP along with subsequent control over fueling.

What surprises me (or maybe it shouldn't) is that some tuners continue to charge "extra" for this little tidbit. This makes as much sense as charging extra for changing the 3-4 shift pressures or raising the speed limiter. I mean c'mon, let's get serious.

I understand the need to be compensated for the extra time involved in custom tuning for different modifications, but if an issue occurs on a bone stock struck and you have to make a tuning change to address it... well, I just can't see making someone pay extra to fix it.

Take care.”

Based on reading this, it seems like there are some issues with the specific tunes I was provided, and I think it’s absolutely something that PHP should address. So, since they’ve quit responding to my emails, I’ll try calling them again on Monday morning, and if they won’t return my call, I’ll involve Clay at Riff Raff.

Keep you posted,

Thanks
Casey.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:37 PM   #126

Quote:
Based on reading this, it seems like there are some issues with the specific tunes I was provided, and I think it’s absolutely something that PHP should address. So, since they’ve quit responding to my emails, I’ll try calling them again on Monday morning, and if they won’t return my call, I’ll involve Clay at Riff Raff.

Keep you posted,

Thanks
Casey.
Hey, I just wanted to chime back in over here. I had to be fairly persistent with PHP to get the issues with the codes for my Box Code addressed, but they did eventually address them, and when they did, they did a great job. My Box Code now has the full host of codes that PHP offers, and they all work as they should. Include no needing to mess around with a Boost Fooler, or other such work around device, as some others have had to do.

I even have a +120hp race tune now...though I’m kind of afraid to mess with it.

I am VERY happy with my PHP Hydra chip.

Thanks,

Casey