Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2016, 03:07 PM   #31

Garage
I did not notice any super hard shifting or black smoke. We will see when I try the 80 hp tune.

TexGX

2006 Casita (Makes it a three bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath)
TexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:32 PM   #32

Anxious to see how it works on the 80 setting. I went with a chip from Jonathan at DynoProven as he worked at Beans Diesel Performance when I ordered my Stage 1 injectors, D66 turbo, and a high output IDM along with some other stuff. I told them my goal was no smoke as my twin turbo Dodge is smokey down low and in hot weather until the turbos lite. I didn't want the Van acting like that, but it ended up being smokey even on the economy setting. The daily and tow tunes were worse. I never even tried the heavy tow or hot tune as I figured the EGTs would be through the roof! I now have a Swamps high output IDM as the Beans bit the bullet(much better IDM than the Beans). I talked to Jonathan about the smoke issue, he burned a new chip and traded me chips from a TS 6 position to a F8 with destiny so he can email me tunes(no down time shipping chips) and would get the van dialed in right. The new chip was still smokey, maybe a bit better, but he told me to get some data logs. I was having trouble data logging with my AutoEnginuity and getting throttle position sensor data. I figured that out right before the trans went south. I put a rebuilt trans in with a billet converter and installed my transfercase(I am still 2wd, but not much longer). This was a good time to build a 4" turbo back exhaust too (they don't sell one for the early 7.3 Vans, mine is a 95). I put it all together and it hit about 32 psi of boost and was making a crappy whiste/screeching sound. I built a boost detector and found my intake plenum was leaking on the driver-side. So apart it came and I ordered a new terminator T500 High Pressure Oil Pump, 200,000 on the stocker. Some of the parts showed up this afternoon, so tomorrow morning I will start putting it together. I am curious to see if the smoke is better with the intake sealed (not sure how long it has been leaking). Also interested to see how much boost it will make sealed up since it was making 30-32 psi leaking. If Jonathan can't get this thing smokeless after all this though, I am going to let Jody try as he has gotten a lot of Van tuning experience lately working with Chris at UJoint from what I hear. Guess I should have left it all stock One question though, does Jody have a "silent" tune? That is one setting I really like when pulling in campgrounds especially at night or drive-up windows. The timing is retarded on the silent tune and it sounds more like a rod knocking gasser than a 7.3
Slicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:46 PM   #33

Jody does have a Drive Thru tune.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:51 PM   #34

Garage
The new wire did not fix the high idle. Waiting to hear from Jody on the next step. Anyone else have this issue?

TexGX
Old 05-26-2016, 12:29 AM   #35

My high idle works okay. Bummer re: the wire.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:28 PM   #36

Garage
Well excitement has turned to frustration. The new cable did not fix the issue. Started my trip to Texas and got 12 out of a 16 hour trip and the truck went into limp mode. I was able to take the chip off and continue on to my destination. Found a dealer open Saturday and they think my IPS is bad. Now the question is was the sensor bad causing the idle issue or did the chip kill my IPS. I take it in tomorrow for them to replace it. Not cheap. I will call Jody tomorrow.

TexGX
Old 05-31-2016, 04:27 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicks View Post
Anxious to see how it works on the 80 setting. I went with a chip from Jonathan at DynoProven as he worked at Beans Diesel Performance when I ordered my Stage 1 injectors, D66 turbo, and a high output IDM along with some other stuff. I told them my goal was no smoke as my twin turbo Dodge is smokey down low and in hot weather until the turbos lite. I didn't want the Van acting like that, but it ended up being smokey even on the economy setting. The daily and tow tunes were worse. I never even tried the heavy tow or hot tune as I figured the EGTs would be through the roof! I now have a Swamps high output IDM as the Beans bit the bullet(much better IDM than the Beans). I talked to Jonathan about the smoke issue, he burned a new chip and traded me chips from a TS 6 position to a F8 with destiny so he can email me tunes(no down time shipping chips) and would get the van dialed in right. The new chip was still smokey, maybe a bit better, but he told me to get some data logs. I was having trouble data logging with my AutoEnginuity and getting throttle position sensor data. I figured that out right before the trans went south. I put a rebuilt trans in with a billet converter and installed my transfercase(I am still 2wd, but not much longer). This was a good time to build a 4" turbo back exhaust too (they don't sell one for the early 7.3 Vans, mine is a 95). I put it all together and it hit about 32 psi of boost and was making a crappy whiste/screeching sound. I built a boost detector and found my intake plenum was leaking on the driver-side. So apart it came and I ordered a new terminator T500 High Pressure Oil Pump, 200,000 on the stocker. Some of the parts showed up this afternoon, so tomorrow morning I will start putting it together. I am curious to see if the smoke is better with the intake sealed (not sure how long it has been leaking). Also interested to see how much boost it will make sealed up since it was making 30-32 psi leaking. If Jonathan can't get this thing smokeless after all this though, I am going to let Jody try as he has gotten a lot of Van tuning experience lately working with Chris at UJoint from what I hear. Guess I should have left it all stock One question though, does Jody have a "silent" tune? That is one setting I really like when pulling in campgrounds especially at night or drive-up windows. The timing is retarded on the silent tune and it sounds more like a rod knocking gasser than a 7.3
Would like to know more about your exhaust system install

I have a 97
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:15 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasm View Post
Would like to know more about your exhaust system install

I have a 97
Sent you a PM with my number, it was pretty easy if you can do some basic fabrication
Slicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:56 AM   #39

Garage
It seems it was the ICPS. The tech did not feel like the tuner had anything to do with it. I spoke with Jody and he is sending me a new chip and controller to see it that fixes it. Bad on road just a little poorer.

TexGX
Old 06-04-2016, 10:25 PM   #40

Garage
New chip and controller showed up today. Quick install and everything is working great. Will report back after some miles.

TexGX