Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2017, 09:32 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by luked View Post
reviving an old thread
what's the purpose of the high idle tune? to warm up, or charge batteries faster?
Thanks! Luke
For me, the high idle is used when we need the inverter to cover a heavier load like the heated sandwich machine that draws from the battery bank @ ~60 amps/hr 12v rate. Granted it is only for 5 to 10 mins depending on how many sandwiches, but I do not like drawing from the batteries alone at a rate higher than 25 amps/hr. We have dual 110A alternators which makes it nice to cover thd draw.

I selected 1200 rpm but would choose (really add since there is no need to delete what I already have) 1100 or 1150 if I Did it again/send it back for re/additional programs. At 1100 the alternators are kicking out enough to cover the electrical loads we see. I guess if someone wanted to power a continuous 10A++ /120v load via inverter/batteries, then a bit higher idle would be warranted. There are enough positions on the DP Tuners to have different high idle settings if needed.

Other: I do not use the DP tuner very much, and especially if speeds are around 45mph due the shudder many experience, including me, around that speed. I also do not like the amount of smoke generated in the 60 and 80hp settings if the engine loads up because of a hill. The tune is very nice when cruising with its crisp throttle response and extra passing power. One of these days I will speak with Jody about what can be modified to make the DP Tunes more everyday usage for me.

Lastly, anyone running and extensively using one of these HP tunes without a properly located EGT gauge is risking serious engine damage, imho. With the tune it is easy for the EGT's to pop over 1300F in seconds under a medium/ heavy load. In stock tune I never see over 1250F on a long climb. Part of the trick with the tune and the EGT threshold seems to be keeping the revs up by holding in a lower gear on a climb. This does require attention/intervention when using cruise control since the cruise will allow the engine to load and then kick down the tranny in a way that will shoot the EGT up very fast.

"Nice to have available" is how I rank it. It is not a perfect solution.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:47 AM   #62

Garage
What he said. Also the high idle is nice when using the winch. DP towing is about perfect except even with higher RPM I still cannot keep the heat down. I hit Willamette pass every summer loaded with boat and gear. The pass has about a 10 mile 6% climb that just stresses me due to heat. I would love to hear how other mitigate it other than just slowing way down or pushing through. What I would give for an intercooler...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2017, 09:56 AM   #63
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel View Post
What he said. Also the high idle is nice when using the winch. DP towing is about perfect except even with higher RPM I still cannot keep the heat down. I hit Willamette pass every summer loaded with boat and gear. The pass has about a 10 mile 6% climb that just stresses me due to heat. I would love to hear how other mitigate it other than just slowing way down or pushing through. What I would give for an intercooler...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Drifting off topic, but how are your trans temps? Though the trans cooler is separate from the radiator, if hot enough it could pre-heat at least some of the air getting to the radiator.

Herb
Old 09-21-2017, 11:34 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Drifting off topic, but how are your trans temps? Though the trans cooler is separate from the radiator, if hot enough it could pre-heat at least some of the air getting to the radiator.
Herb
Tranny temps normally in the 145 area. Hot is 180/190 area on a long climb.

Engine Oil temps will go to 230 and the clutch fan kicks in at that point and the temps drop. I am contemplating a larger cooler for the engine oil.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:30 PM   #65

Garage
Has anybody here installed a DP Mini on a pillar pod? The pod I got from Jody didn't fit the pillar, found the correct one from Auto Meter and the mini hits the contours of the pillar pod.

I went with the mini over the full sized Infinity because I don't like the way I've seen them mounted against the windshield as it interferes with my insulated blackout screens. Plus it's cheaper and does everything I needed. Does anybody have a suggestion on a different way to mount either of these units?

Really kind of frustrated with this because I was really looking forward to his tunes after all the good things in this thread...
Old 01-07-2018, 01:55 PM   #66

Garage
I did it on the pillar with the mini pod. I’ll go jump in the van and take a picture and post it for you. I used the pillar mount with 2 pods. Mine isn’t even screwed in.

vandiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 02:01 PM   #67

Garage
Thanks. I'm guessing that is an 02 or older van? My pillar has a grab handle (03+) which I don't really want to lose as I use it. The pod the 03+ has the gauge opening much closer to the pillar than what it looks like your is. The Infinity Mini which has a much larger face than a standard 2-1/16 gauge and that is what is hitting the pillar.

EDIT: Went and looked at the 03+ gauge pillar pod that didn't have the grab handle and it looks like yours, but for whatever reason the single pod that keeps the grab handle is spaced closer. It's clearly visible in the pictures now that I'm looking for it.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:44 AM   #68
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Re: AutoMeter gauge pods........

They make several that fit between the sun visors, attaching to the headliner and windshield, fairly unobtrusive. If pressed I could temporarily install one on my various E-Series ranging in years from 2000 > 2005. Here's a link to Auto Meter's gauge pods, this one for their direct or vehicle-specific fitment: https://www.autometer.com/mounting-s...ofile=products

A few I either already have or have considered are their P/N's: 18022, 18023, 18024, 18016, 18018 & 18017. One that fits over the steering column is P/N 15004.

These are just a few in the 512 versions Auto Meter offers for gauge pods.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:34 AM   #69
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Re: AutoMeter gauge pods........

They make several that fit between the sun visors, attaching to the headliner and windshield, fairly unobtrusive....
From my Excursion, but you get the idea. Hosts my trans temp, EGT and Boost Pressure gauges.

Herb
Old 01-09-2018, 05:36 PM   #70

Garage
Thanks for the suggestions. I wanted to mount it on the pillar so it's more in view and easier to reach the touch screen. I finally just hacked the auto meter pod to make it fit; just feels weird hacking up a brand new part! My OCD is having a hard time with some of the gaps around the gauge from the cuts I made, but we'll see what it looks like once I get it installed in the van.