Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2018, 08:04 PM   #71

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Tranny temps normally in the 145 area. Hot is 180/190 area on a long climb.

Engine Oil temps will go to 230 and the clutch fan kicks in at that point and the temps drop. I am contemplating a larger cooler for the engine oil.
1der: Just out of curiosity, are you running an auxiliary transmission cooler? No towing, and just flat freeway speeds at 65-70mph mine normally runs 175-180...your temp seems low in comparison & now has me concerned.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:36 PM   #72
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Just seeing this post before Ray replied, but yes, we’re both running the tru-cool tranny cooler on our 7.3’s....my oil temps run a bit lower though, fan kicks on at ~117 and usually brings it down to normal running temp of 109-112. Things tend to run a bit warmer when climbing passes when in a higher tune, I usually like to back off when my EGT’s show 1300-1400 for any duration.

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:22 AM   #73
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
From my Excursion, but you get the idea. Hosts my trans temp, EGT and Boost Pressure gauges.

Herb
That's a nice look Herb---thanks for sharing!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:11 AM   #74

I used the visor bulkhead area for my spod switches and put 3 autometer gauges in the dash.
Attached Thumbnails
sPOD panel_VLT.JPG   sPOD_panel1.jpg   autometer gauges.jpg  
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:05 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
1der: Just out of curiosity, are you running an auxiliary transmission cooler? No towing, and just flat freeway speeds at 65-70mph mine normally runs 175-180...your temp seems low in comparison & now has me concerned.
Yes, I had a Tru Cool trans cooler added. Temps are per ScanGauge TFT reading.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:08 PM   #76

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
I also do not like the amount of smoke generated in the 60 and 80hp settings if the engine loads up because of a hill. The tune is very nice when cruising with its crisp throttle response and extra passing power. One of these days I will speak with Jody about what can be modified to make the DP Tunes more everyday usage for me.
Ray, did you ever get the black smoke issue resolved? I'm assuming it's black smoke you are referring to anyway. I just installed the Infinity Mini with the 60-Daily and and getting black smoke at the slightest throttle input over grandma style acceleration, even on flat land (which is about all I have around here in Dallas). Rolling coal is definitely not my thing...
Old 05-06-2018, 02:40 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt View Post
Ray, did you ever get the black smoke issue resolved? I'm assuming it's black smoke you are referring to anyway. I just installed the Infinity Mini with the 60-Daily and and getting black smoke at the slightest throttle input over grandma style acceleration, even on flat land (which is about all I have around here in Dallas). Rolling coal is definitely not my thing...
Thats not very practical and would drive me crazy. On mine with the 80hp tune it only smoke crazy if I put my foot to the floor. Even a good acceleration won't smoke, really have to push it hard for any coal effect.

I still love mine aside than two problematic spots at around 40 and 55mph where it feels like I have a fuel starvation. Really annoying if I'm following someone in that speed zone as I simply can't keep that steady speed. I'd happily send the unit back to get fixed but I can't bare to drive without it anymore! Lol

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 02:47 PM   #78

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abitibi View Post
Thats not very practical and would drive me crazy. On mine with the 80hp tune it only smoke crazy if I put my foot to the floor. Even a good acceleration won't smoke, really have to push it hard for any coal effect.

I still love mine aside than two problematic spots at around 40 and 55mph where it feels like I have a fuel starvation. Really annoying if I'm following someone in that speed zone as I simply can't keep that steady speed. I'd happily send the unit back to get fixed but I can't bare to drive without it anymore! Lol

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Well I've never done a tune on anything I've owned before so have no clue what to expect. Throttle response is greatly improved, although it does feel like it surges just a bit upon leaving a standstill. It also stay in 3rd gear in city traffic a long time, like until 50mph, but haven't driven it enough to really decide if that's an issue. But the black smoke bothers the shit out of me. I'm going to reach out to Jody but was just curious if others had gotten smoke issues resolved since it is a canned tune.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:15 PM   #79

Drizzit - No, I have not done anything to get the changes done to my DP Tuner. I use the 80 on the flats occasionally, still have the 45 to 50 surge /whatever that bugs the crap out of me. I love the high idle albeit a bit too high at 1200 rpm, and the throttle response is greatly improved. I just find it rather concerning and troublesome to use the tunes, so much of the time I spend in stock. The tunes also mess with my scan gauge mileage readings big time. The surging gets me a bit concerned it may be related to torque converter lockup or something tranny related. I do not know at all, but I am playing it super safe.

In 60 tow or 80 hwy, mashing the throttle to around 3/4 will pump out quite a bit of black smoke. I also keep a very close eye on the EGTs since they will start to climb pretty quickly. Imho, anyone running a tune on their diesel engine without an EGT gauge is courting disaster.

If someone wants to take up the effort to contact Jody and let him know many of us Van guys are not so happy and are almost all experiencing the 45 to 50 mph surge, maybe he will address it quickly. I would be quite happy with a tune which provided better throttle response, next to no black smoke, and no surging - maybe a hwy 40 for everyday use.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:17 PM   #80

Garage
What do you mean by surge at 45-50? Like unexpected acceleration? Abitibi sounds like he has the opposite problem. I already reached out to Jody, but if he responds I'll point him in the direction of this thread.