Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2017, 11:26 AM   #41

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
MTBike Roamer... can you PM me the name of your shop??
Eddyturn --- just about to send you a PM!

As an update:
The rebuilt E4OD Transmission is still going strong, by the way.
Gave it a good solid workout this past weekend when climbing a rough/steep/burly 2000-vertical-foot fire-road climb just outside Idyllwild, CA. At the time of the transmission rebuild, the shop also installed a new transmission cooler and radiator....everything seems tough as nails and it ran cool the whole way up the mountain. Definitely still a solid recommendation for the transmission shop that did the rebuild.

As a side note:
I've read a fair amount about these transmissions....and found this interesting:

The early (up until 1996) Econoline transmissions (e4OD's) are VERY similar to the 4R100. As in, the 4R100 is essentially a highly-evolved-and-improved version of the e4OD. So when an older e4OD is rebuilt (especially an early one of those), there's a TON of improvements that can be made to an e4OD while it's apart that take advantage of the learnings/improvements incorporated into later versions of the e4OD and then the subsequent nearly-identical 4r100.

Among these desired updates to be sure to go for when doing a rebuild of an e4OD (if your transmission doesn't already have them) are:

1) STEEL vs aluminum planetary gear carriers
2) Some sort of strategy to get HIGHER SHIFT PRESSURES / FIRMER SHIFTS:
this can be done with either a modified/updated valve body strategy (as my transmission shop did), or with a Banks "TransCommand" module. Long and short --- the early e4OD's were built by Ford with extra-soft shifts programmed in to them. Which satisfied drivers who didn't like the abrupt shifts of typical truck/van transmissions (it made the shifts feel more like a passenger car) --- but it also led to premature clutch burnout. (Because the clutches were allowed to "slip" longer, and under less pressure, and thus soften the shifts.)
3) A number of other HD bearing and output/input shaft updates.
4) Optional (yet advisable) : a more robust/HD torque converter (my original 1995 torque converter failed....that led to the rebuild (and discovery of all the sub-par parts inside the transmission that looked questionable....)

This company, Baumann Electronic Controls, has a "one stop shopping" collection of all the major HD parts you'd want to update an e4OD transmission to the "most bulletproof version" it can be: (*scroll down to the bottom of this linked page to find the listed kit)

E4OD Hard Parts Update Kit
BEC E4OD & 4R100 Information

(** Prior to my transmission rebuild, I located the above HD rebuild kit --- and so I shared that information with my transmission shop when we did our early discussions about the rebuild. As it turned out, they were already very familiar with all of these updates. (Since they have done a ton of e4OD / 4R100 rebuilds over the years (a lot of them for HD commercial and ambulance companies!) and thus they know the timeline of updates/improvements across both transmissions.) So without needing to buy that Baumann kit, they were able to acquire all the same parts from their suppliers and incorporate them (and also some of their own additional HD tweaks) into the rebuild.

ALSO:
Here's some links to the aforementioned Banks "TransCommand" module that will "ramp up" shift pressures in an e4OD transmission to the later specs that were higher (create the firmer shifts that don't slip/wear out clutch-packs.) I am guessing you'd only want to do this on a low-mile / non-abused e4OD if it hadn't been rebuilt, as the suddenly-higher shift pressures might accelerate clutch pack failure in a well-worn transmission that might be close to needing a rebuild.)

*Again, my transmission shop opted to simply update the valve body configuration such that it automatically incorporated later-model shift pressures/firmer shifts without the need to add a TransCommand.

BANKS POWER: WHY ADD A TRANSCOMMAND?
Banks Power | Why Add a TransCommand?
BANKS POWER TRANSCOMMAND FOR E4OD / 4R100
62560 Transcommand, Automatic Transmission Management Computer for use with 1989-1998 Ford E4OD Automatic Transmission

And....in case anybody still wants some further reading (I doubt that, lol....) --- here's a great Ford Diesel Truck forum thread about the differences/similarities between the e4OD and the 4R100. Amazing that they're all evolutions of the original C-6 automatic transmissions that date back to the 1960's! Interesting reading of the strengths/weaknesses noted for both the e4OD and the 4R100.

4R100 vs E4OD
4R100 vs E4OD - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

(btw Eddyturn --- I notice you've listed your location as Durango --- just wanted to make sure you picked up on the detail that I live in Southern California (and the transmission shop is here too --- in Mission Viejo, CA --- which is in southern Orange County (approximately halfway between Los Angeles and San Diego.)

Look for a PM shortly.

MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:33 AM   #42

Great info Mike!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote