Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
Site Team

Tire siping

When I bought my replacement tires 4-5 months ago, I was somewhat in a rush for an upcoming trip, so it completely slipped my mind about getting my new tires siped. Has anyone here had their tires siped on their SMB, and are you happy with them?

I've been running siped 35" BFG Mud Terrains on my Bronco for a number of years now and they've been wearing great. I went straight to the siped 35" tires when I went to the BFG's, so I don't have a direct comparison from un-siped to siped.

FWIW, siping is suppossed to let the tire run cooler, wear slower, and be quiter with virtually no downside. I know one of the local America's Tire Companies can sipe a tire for $10/tire.

Herb

Old 07-08-2008, 09:03 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon
Herb-
I have no doubt that all those great things happen when you sipe a tire.
I wonder why BFG (or whoever) doesn't sipe them as a matter of course if it makes them better?
Bill
Old 07-08-2008, 11:29 AM   #3

For one they "chunk" which means the rubber loses chunks around the sipes. It looks bad but didn't seem to affect anything in my case.

I've heard mixed things about siping, but my BFG Mud TAs lasted 9 years with sipes from day one. Discount tire sipes (or used to) and it didn't affect the warranty.

I would only sipe Mud tires or other treads with large flat rubber surfaces. The ATs already have broken up tread so in my opinion don't need it.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:43 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon
Herb-
I have no doubt that all those great things happen when you sipe a tire.
I wonder why BFG (or whoever) doesn't sipe them as a matter of course if it makes them better?
Bill
From the Discount Tire Company website:

"Why Don't My Tires Come Siped From the Manufacturer?

Our siping process doesn't remove ANY rubber from the tread allowing the individual sipes to support each other. A molded sipe leaves vacant gaps in the tread. Siping creates edges without gaps. To sipe (in mass production) after the molding process would be too expensive and time consuming for the manufacturer. "

Of course, Discount Tire and others are trying to sell you their service, so take it with a grain of salt.

Herb