Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2023, 09:30 PM   #1

To add or not to add - transmission fluid

Checking fluid levels for a trip coming up and have a stupid question:

Hopefully this is visible in the photo but I'm right on the bottom edge of being in the hatched area on the tranny dip stick midway through the hole on the dip stick end. The owners manual conveniently doesn't show this dip stick end style in it for the operating range.

I'm thinking I'm probably a tad low given this is was measured after the van was fully warmed up (driving for 30+ minutes on one occasion and over an hour on another occasion, engine idling on flat surface measured after running through all the gears then back to park).

What do you think? maybe add 1/4 or 1/2 half a quart of ATF until I'm in the hatched area? I know it's important to have correct fluid volume in these things, this is the 5r110.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
20230105_184809.jpg  

Old 01-08-2023, 06:59 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I carry a quart bottle of AFT I use to top off the transmission as needed only because I'm a bit anal at times. When that bottle is finally empty I'll refill it from a 5 quart jug I keep around, left over from the full fluid exchanges I DIY.

I'd top it off but running a bit "low" as you show shouldn't be too much concern---just be sure to check every other fuel stop maybe?!

FWIW the level does show up fairly clearly here---I have one of those annoying white plastic tipped dipsticks on my 4R75E.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 07:41 PM   #3

Right on, yeah I'll add a bit until its in mid range. From what I can tell I'm not leaking any ATF

Last time I had the fluid change done the mechanic overfilled the transmission and it actually belched out ATF from the pressure relief valve on the top of the transmission (you can see it when the dog house is off). This happened a couple times when I would put it in a low gear while going downhill, first I thought it was an oil leak took me a minute to realize it was the tranny preventing itself from exploding.

I've put down about 40,000 miles in 1.5 years since then haven't seen any fluid leaks from there but 40,000 miles is probably enough to burn up a little bit of ATF.

Thanks for the feedback JWA
Old 01-09-2023, 05:44 AM   #4
JWA

Looking again I'd add the full quart and monitor the level over time, until the next "flush" anyway. According to Blackstone Lab's along with Mark K on FTE 30K miles is the recommended change interval for most Ford automatic transmissions. Following is the text of BL's report on my 4R75-E flush earlier in 2022:

J W: Thanks for letting us know about the rebuild. All things considered, this sample looks very good.
Universal averages show typical wear for a Ford 4R75E transmission after about 33,300 miles of fluid use.
This ATF was in place longer, and wear metals are in great shape next to averages, showing healthy
internal wear. Insolubles (solids) are a bit high at 0.1%, so it's good this fluid was changed out. No
contamination was found, and the TAN is 1.2, showing only mild acidity. This is a good report, overall, but
we recommend sticking with ~50,000 miles next oil due to insolubles.

Just a few additional thoughts about the AFT "flush":

If you're capable or willing to DIY IMHO that's the best practice as it gives knowledge what was done including materials/parts used and more importantly by whom. The overfilling bit would be easy to do if not paying attention. That's not necessarily harmful but its annoying and unnecessary along with creating a mess, also avoidable. One can "creep up" on establishing the correct level after a few miles test driving.

I'm not overly familiar with the 5R110's "flush" procedure but that can be easily discovered here or through FTE, there might be a thermostat in the cooling circuit affecting how the DIY method would be affected.

Typically AFT isn't burned off unless there's another problem yet undiscovered. In the "flush" procedure its somewhat easy to not fill properly according to the dipstick but careful monitoring has you discovering that very quickly.

Just a few thoughts---YMMV quite literally!
Old 01-09-2023, 01:47 PM   #5

Overfilling is definitely an issue with bigger pans like the Mag-Hytek. More fluid equals more expansion.

I've been leery of a trans flush on my 5R110. Not done correctly and it just seems like a way to cram contaminants into every smaller passageways. Drop and drain at the 30k interval for me. And consider the 6.4 filter on the 5R110 for better filtration. You'll need the 5R110W pan but it's a rather cheap mod as far as mods go on these rigs.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 07:18 AM   #6
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
Overfilling is definitely an issue with bigger pans like the Mag-Hytek. More fluid equals more expansion.

I've been leery of a trans flush on my 5R110. Not done correctly and it just seems like a way to cram contaminants into every smaller passageways. Drop and drain at the 30k interval for me. And consider the 6.4 filter on the 5R110 for better filtration. You'll need the 5R110W pan but it's a rather cheap mod as far as mods go on these rigs.
I'm not quite following your idea the trans flush will or does add contaminants into the system? Being its a relatively straight forward procedure not sure how debris could be be introduced? I ask mostly because this thread on FTE seems to address most 5R110 transmission flushes: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-exchange.html

Forgive me if I'm outta my lane!
Old 01-10-2023, 09:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
I'm not quite following your idea the trans flush will or does add contaminants into the system? Being its a relatively straight forward procedure not sure how debris could be be introduced? I ask mostly because this thread on FTE seems to address most 5R110 transmission flushes: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-exchange.html

Forgive me if I'm outta my lane!
No no, good stuff! I hadn't seen that cold flush thread and presumed a heated flush machine was the only way to get 100% of the fluid because of the thermostat. That is, so the new and old won't mix. So, my concern is having someone not that versed in the 6.0 and 5R110 doing a "flush" incorrectly and the new oil loosening deposits which then go into the valving or gunking up the solenoids.

Anyway, the stock filter on the tranny only filters 1% of the fluid flow below 165F and about 10% once the fluid gets hotter (as per Mike K). With the 2008+ trans filter and trans pan you filter 100% fluid all the time. So, my rationale is with a pan drop and filter change at 30k a drain and fill is fine.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 04:40 AM   #8

I think, need to add oil
Grant638r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atf, tranny fluid, transmission