Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #21

Re: Tow/haul vs. downshifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Tow/Haul was/is only available with the V10 in the vans, and also with the 5.4L in the cutaways.

It is not the same as OD-off. Tow/Haul changes shift point, shift pressures, and provides automatic downshifts when descending grades when using cruise control, or will downshift 1 or 2 gears depending on brake pressure.

There is nothing different between the 5R110 in the diesels and V10, except the diesels got OD-off because that's what Ford's big customers wanted. It is purely a programming difference, theoretically could be turned into a Tow/Haul button (or vice versa) with a programming change. Except it's not something published, and I'm not aware of anyone that offers that service.
Exactly correct.

What I hate is that, when using cruise control, the Torqshift in my van will downshift going up a grade, upshift as it tops the grade - and then downshifts again as soon as it senses the downward grade. And that's when NOT using Toy/Haul, only cruise control. None of this happens when not using cruise. I can cross the same summit not using cruise and the van will stay in OD both uphill and downhill just fine. I wish there were a way to fix that!

Old 02-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle56
I wish there were a way to fix that!
Why not just tap the Tow/Haul button one more time? You don't have to use if you don't like it.

Since the 4R100 doesn't have Tow/Haul, the only way to up shift pressure and change shift point is with programing (I use the Predator). This is certainly an option for the TorqueShift as well. I Highly recommend looking into a 5-Star tuner. He does nice things for the V10, and can make it shift however you want (actually, come to think if it the 5-star will disable OD in tow/haul if so desired).
Old 03-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #23

Tow/haul vs. downshifting

Broncohauler, I goofed, and CarringB is right, mine has O/D off, not tow/haul. I drove a Chevy truck for years before this van which had tow/haul there and I guess it kind of ran together in my mind.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #24

On my 2006 Mike from 5 star told me that the tranny always starts out in 2nd gear, only in Tow Haul mode will it start in 1st. I actually had Mike remove 5th gear from my Tow Haul programing so mine works like an overdrive off on button with the other tow haul features. Mike also set mine up to leave the torque converter locked up much longer than stock. My unit is nearly 12,000 lbs being moved by a 5.4 so his changes made a huge difference. Fuel mileage did not improve but I have tons more power going to the ground. I can always keep the motor in the torque sweet spot. The Tow Haul button works great for me now that it has been modified.

2006 Ford E350 Cutaway Motorhome Quigley Conversion
capnjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #25

BTW my tranny is the 5R110. Not many 5.4s have this option but it came in the cutaways.
capnjim is offline   Reply With Quote