Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #1

tranny questions 2000 v10 quig...

i know i could search the web for a lot of this info, but i thought id post here anyway.
which transmission do i have in my 2000 e350 v10 quigley anyway? and then what are folks experiences with these as far as things to watch out for and which maintainance to do when? are those mag hytec pans worth installing for the extra cooling?
ive only had the van for about 4 months and have gone through most of it, and all is good, but the transmission is the one thing im not very familiar with on this vehicle. it has 98000 miles and the transmission fluid was changed about 25000 miles ago, fluid looks clean still. im towing 5000lbs very infrequently.
anyway, any info, thoughts appreciated, thanks
jas

yondermountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #2

Re: tranny questions 2000 v10 quig...

It is probably a 4R100. I had a Mag Hytec pan on my 99, reduces ground clearance a bit. There are threads on here about it if you do a search. I was towing aout 4000lb no issues, but I also upgraded the LE fluid that Mag Hytec recommends, this requires that you drain, fill and bleed the torque converter, as well as draining and filling the tranny.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:42 PM   #3

Garage
tranny questions 2000 v10 quig...

I just lost my tranny in my 2001. The torque converters are a problem in those years. I would suggest after my $4600 experience that you have the transmission gone through and built more bullet proof. My rig has 100k and was treated nicely it's whole life. This is the weak link. Had I known I would have done it. Once mine bit the dust I heard all the "oh yeah they were bad that year" intelligence. Mine checked out perfect 3000 miles before failure with good fluid etc. Just my 2 cents.

Brad
Old 09-11-2011, 01:52 AM   #4

Re: tranny questions 2000 v10 quig...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel
The torque converters are a problem in those years.
The V10 torque converter is not problematic like the one behind the diesel.

I recommend skipping the aftermarket pan, and installing a temp gauge, and replacing the stock aux trans cooler with larger unit of the same style (plate-and-fin, don't use a tube/fin style). The larger cooler will be much more effective at reducing temps compared to a larger pan. As mentioned, the larger pan reduces clearance. It can also break apart if it hits the ground, unlike the factory pan which will dent.

I have 313,000 miles on my 4R100, with about half of those towing, usually 18-22k combined, but sometimes over 25,000 pounds. I change the pan filter every 100k. In between, I pump out a couple gallons once a year (~35,000) into a bucket by pulling the cooler hose, then re-filling with fresh fluid.