Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2012, 01:08 AM   #21

Re: Trans temp?

I would say there is only one thing wrong with my 08/V10/ 5R110 TorqueShift vans power train. And that is around where I live it is mostly 25-30mph speed limits and even though I have stock size tires and 3.73 gears it is hard to drive that slow. It shifts into quite a high gear with light throttle pressure and then it is around a1000 rpms at that speed. If you let off to try to stay around the speed limit the engine braking slows the van down, give it even a little bit more gas and it speeds up enough to get you one of those high price CA achievement rewards from the cops.

I know some people say they shift too much especially with the cruise control on in hills but I think all that is great. (ok maybe one more slight complaint every once in a while in just the right situation it doesnt up shift as soon as I would think it should after coming down a steep hill) It down shifts nice and its engine brakeing is great. It does rev very high in tow mode when going down a hill sometimes but it does slow down well without using the brakes. I love how smooth, quiet and powerful the van is. The transmission (the whole van really) has been completely trouble free and still shifts smooth and tight...Thanks Ford...

2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #22

Does my 2006 5.4 have a 4R100 or something else? All this talk about trans temps has got me thinking again. I think there's already a factory cooler in place. Should I get an aftermarket cooler? If so what brand and model does the forum recommend? Do I replace the factory cooler or install it in series?

Thanks,
Ray
06 E350 RB
08 Nissan Armada
12 Lexus CT200h (if the IRS says so)
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3kids
Does my 2006 5.4 have a 4R100 or something else? All this talk about trans temps has got me thinking again. I think there's already a factory cooler in place. Should I get an aftermarket cooler? If so what brand and model does the forum recommend? Do I replace the factory cooler or install it in series?

Thanks,
Ray
06 E350 RB
08 Nissan Armada
12 Lexus CT200h (if the IRS says so)
Your Ford owner's manual should tell you what trans you have. As for an additional cooler, I'd go for some gauges or other instrumentation to let you know what temperatures you are seeing.

Herb
Old 06-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #24

Ray,

The best way to tell is by the transmission code on the vehicle information sticker in the drivers door jamb.
Its on the bottom row sixth from the left. It will say TR at the top and either Q for a 4R75E or T for a 5R110W just below.The other way to tell is by the shift lever. If it says OD its a 4 speed, if it has TOW HAUL its a 5 speed.
My bet is you dont have to worry about the trans all that much, just keep it serviced...

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #25

And yes, the vans come with 2 transmission cooler stock (one oil to water, one oil to air).

If you are within your weight ratings, including combined weight, 2WD vans are generally OK without extra cooling. 4WD vans need more for off-road operation, and changes like grill guards or lights in front of the grill can necessitate more cooling.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #26

Thanks. I forgot all about the door jamb sticker. Mine shows Q under the TR column.

I don't have anything (grill guards, aux lighting, bikes, spare tire) in front of the grill so I won't worry about trans temps as I'm not near the weight limit and do 99% normal driving.

Ray
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
I haven't read the above links yet, but I've got an 02 5.4 with the 4r100 trans if I remember right. I looked it up awhile back.
I'm curious how you found out which transmission you have? I have a '97 E-250 2WD with the 5.4 and recently acquired a Scangauge (love that thing!). I made a long tow and wanted transmission temp readings on the trip (and it was nice to learn the typical RPM's too since I have no tach - although of course now that I know them it's not essential to see them all the time).

One thing I was wondering about (and folks here may know) is what sort of transmission cooler would have been included with the stock towing package that came on the SMB. Just the usual one (that I'm guessing) the vans all came with? Something upgraded from that? Or should I consider adding one (or a larger one). On my car it was a no-brainer (I added one), but not sure on the SMB.

When I was towing I found that highway temps when not in overdrive stayed pretty reasonable. 150º to 160º or so, with a high of 183º while coming over Homestake Pass. Ambient temps were not very high when I was in the mountains, however - maybe in the 70's and of course lower on the passes (was in June).

Just to see, I put it in overdrive for a short while while towing (flattish ground) and it went up into the 170's (might have gone higher after a while; I don't know as I took it back out of overdrive). Even though I've read all about overdrive, and I understand intellectually how it's "worse" than non-overdrive, it sure drives the point home to see how much cooler the trans temp runs when not in overdrive (even when not towing), even though the engine is "roaring" more.

I just *love* the Scangauge. I bought it for the transmission temperature specifically, but the other data is also fantastic. I wondered about the engine/water temperature since the needle just seemed to always sit in the same place (when running), but.... it really IS consistent. Still nice to have a real number though! I would never have known about it if not for reading about it here on the SMB forum.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote