Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2016, 08:17 AM   #21

I love my Max Tow guage which has analog and digital. It mounts in the test port and has done well for me. I used the Autometer triple pod in the A pillar and also put air compressor guage there, 3rd guage will be a Max Tow coolant temp someday.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ns%2Caps%2C185

86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:32 AM   #22

ooh, that's a really good idea! I want a gage for my air compressor as well. I've seen them mounted externally but hadn't thought about mounting it inside. Unfortunately, my A pillar is occupied by a bitch'n tweeter!

That gage is nice but still only goes to 260F. I hit 275F going over Imogene Pass as measured by my scangage. I realize the Mag-hytec won't do much for additional cooling but my 6.4 pan (to fit the better filter) is leaking at the drain hole.

I picked up the Tru-Max and just need to figure out how to mount and plumb it.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:37 AM   #23

Dang man, that's HIGH! I would worry about that. I don't like to go over about 225 but maybe that's with the test port mount. Maybe as carringB stated there's noticeable difference in where it's read.

BTW, love the compressor guage and switch mounted up front. That way I never forget to charge up my compressor before I park somewhere, and I can do it anytime I think to while driving. I've chased and chased leaks but they keep resurfacing. Probably because the whole system gets shaken around a lot?

Old 01-28-2016, 08:55 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Dang man, that's HIGH! I would worry about that. I don't like to go over about 225 but maybe that's with the test port mount. Maybe as carringB stated there's noticeable difference in where it's read.

BTW, love the compressor guage and switch mounted up front. That way I never forget to charge up my compressor before I park somewhere, and I can do it anytime I think to while driving. I've chased and chased leaks but they keep resurfacing. Probably because the whole system gets shaken around a lot?

I waited too long to put it in 4lo I think. But there's that last stretch where there's no turning around or backing up. You've got to go for it and watch the temps creep up. But I'm at 220 or 230F regularly while rock crawling. I've also read similar input to what carringb had to say about the PCM trans probe location on the powerstroke forum.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:39 AM   #25

FWIW - Nothing makes the trans temps skyrocket faster than backup up a trailer. Combination of tall reverse, no lockup function in reverse, and the radiator basically sucking up hot air when backing makes it shoot up fast.

And yeah, I agree even 260F is too hot. My Banks gauge hits the RED zone at 240F. I typically give it a break when it hits 225F
Old 01-28-2016, 10:25 PM   #26

The scanguage II works just fine, but if you want to step up to the current century look into the Torque Pro app.
Iirc you can monitor up to 32 features at once.
It's what I use every day on my 2001 E350 PSD.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
The scanguage II works just fine, but if you want to step up to the current century look into the Torque Pro app.
Iirc you can monitor up to 32 features at once.
It's what I use every day on my 2001 E350 PSD.
Pretty cool but the Torque app doesn't monitor fuel pressure and egts. I sure like the display though.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:56 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
FWIW - Nothing makes the trans temps skyrocket faster than backup up a trailer. Combination of tall reverse, no lockup function in reverse, and the radiator basically sucking up hot air when backing makes it shoot up fast.
I was recently told the same by the tranny builder who just rebuilt my Expedition trans. He said if you want to really care for your tranny (in a 4wd) ALWAYS put it in 4 low when backing a trailer, especially a heavy trailer or uphill. Anyway, temps will probably still rise but it's much easier on the components and distributes the force.

Not to change the subject, but as a 20 year tranny builder with an impeccable rep (yeah, I know, try to find that anywhere!), he said that the 4r75 in his mind is a very tough tranny. This is the one in most F150s and Expeditions, and I think in the 5.4 vans too. He also said the 4r100 is brutally tough and that the 5r110 is so good that he's never rebuilt but one of them. By the way, he does a lot of work, several a week and rebuilds for 13 shops. What was it on? A dually truck used by a marina to back heavy boats uphill in to their parking places.
He's actually a Chevy guy but believes strongly in the 4r100 and the 5r110, which he says is probably stronger than the Allison.
The above info is opinion, mind you, and worth just what you paid for it.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:02 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
Pretty cool but the Torque app doesn't monitor fuel pressure and egts. I sure like the display though.

You're correct because Ford did not put a EGT sensor in.
And as for fuel monitoring, I'm not sure. Here is two screen shots from the app.

But I solved the EGT problem... I added my own.

And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:26 AM   #30

On the 6.0 you need a fuel pressure sender in the fuel bowl beneath the filter.

Either way, I like it but Torque App also won't work on an IPhone. I could pick up a cheap android so the like but then you have to pay for extra service. How do you handle texts and phone calls