Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2016, 11:29 AM   #31

I handle the phone and text messaging simply by pulling over. I'm never in that much of a rush...

And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:32 AM   #32

Pros and Cons to everything. But I can't drive 55 and I certainly can't pull over to answer the phone. I got places to go
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:51 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by c7train View Post
I added the same transmission cooler that Badger trek did (I forget the part number thought), and last week I put on the Mag-Hytec aluminum transmission pan Mag-Hytec 5R110 Transmission Pan 03-07 6.0L Ford Powerstroke

It added a spot for a 3/8" NPT fitting and temp gauge, does anyone have any recommendations for a good gauge?
I just added the same Tru-Cool Max 40,000 GVW cooler. However, the cooler has 3/8" fittings and the OEM cooler has 1/2". We modified the lines but now I'm worried about down-sizing to 3/8" fittings and the potential corresponding decrease in flow rate thru the cooler. Or, pressure drops on the return line. Has anyone that has done this mod with the 6.0 and 5R110 had an issues?

Using smaller lines will restrict the transmission’s fluid flow but I'm not sure it's that big a deal going from 1/2" to 3/8" when the increase in volume of the cooler is ~5x that of the OEM cooler.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:51 AM   #34

Greetings JoeH, I had the same concern a few years ago when I installed the same cooler. I have the 6.0 PSD and the 5r110 you have but here is the story. The trans that came with my van let go in 2011 and I was having John Wood install one of his so I wanted to improve the cooling for the new trans. I liked Eric Badger's set up so I tried to copy his but also including a 12v fan. When I got the cooler it had what looked like reverse flair fittings and a set of adapters with hose barbs none of which were the 1/2" that the van had. My solution was to take the cooler to a speed shop/race car parts shop where the the hydraulics guy found a stack of fittings that would adapt the coolers odd flair to a 1/2" barb. (you could also do ACN hose fittings if you liked). It took two fittings stacked to accomplish this. And there is a brief reduction to ACN -4 (can't quite remember) between the two fittings. Feeling cleaver at first, I then got worried and called John to make sure he thought this was ok in his opinion. His statement was this, it's ok to have a small restriction through the fittings but maintain the 1/2" hose and factory piping under the van. I've been running this setup since then and it seems all good. My opinion is to have as few restrictions down to 3/8" for as short as possible.

I hope this helps,
- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:11 AM   #35

Good info Shuttlepilot! I had read so many posts that the Tru-Cool was plug and play that I didn't figure out that the 6.0 had 1/2" fittings and the 7.3 had 3/8" until it was too late. There are posts that insist the Tru-Cool has 1/2" flaired fittings but if they made one they don't anymore.

I think there is a way to measure it if there is indeed a restriction to the circuit. The return from the cooler is used for lubrication. If you restrict this you could damage the transmission. But if John Woods thinks it's ok that's good enough for me.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:42 PM   #36

I was still worried about down-sizing to 3/8" fittings and if it results in a reduction in flow. So, did a partial flow test. The procedure is to check the flow by disconnect the cooler return tube and measuring the rate of flow in a graduated cylinder or something similar while running the engine at idle with the transmission in neutral.

Unlike the 4R100 mated to the 7.3, the 5R110 has a temperature valve in the pump so flow rate will vary as a function of temperature. These are the specs as per Ford:

44°C (112°F) 236.6 ml (8 oz) 15 sec
78°C (172°F) 473.2 ml (16 oz) 15 sec
82°C (180°F) and up 1893 ml (52 oz) 15 sec

My results were 10 oz. at 110F and 19 oz. at 176F, respectively. Didn't attempt the test at anything hotter. These results suggest that flow rate is comparable or even slightly increased with the low pressure drop 40k Tru-Cool cooler.