Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #1

Transfer Flow 47gal Tank using only 37 gal?

I have a 2010 RB diesel with a Transfer Flow 47 gal tank but can only seem to access 37 gal of fuel.

My engine starves of fuel at roughly the same time my trip computer says 0 miles to empty. At this point I still have approximately 10 gal of fuel remaining in the tank. I've verified this several times and have only been able to 37 gal +- when topping off my tank.

SMB sent me new parts, float/pickup tube, ford did the repairs and said was as it should be. Still having the same issues.

Anyone else having the same problems?

FWMC

fwmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #2

Re: Transfer Flow 47gal Tank using only 37 gal?

I can't shed any light on your problem other than what you have already done. That usually remedies the problem.

However avoid running the 6.0L diesel out of fuel!!!! It can destroy injectors due to reduced fuel pressure.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwmc
I have a 2010 RB diesel with a Transfer Flow 47 gal tank but can only seem to access 37 gal of fuel.

My engine starves of fuel at roughly the same time my trip computer says 0 miles to empty. At this point I still have approximately 10 gal of fuel remaining in the tank. I've verified this several times and have only been able to 37 gal +- when topping off my tank.
Similar experience here with my gasoline TransferFlow tank....

Despite what Sportsmobile told me, my extra 10 gallons (when I finally got it working) were ABOVE full, not below empty.

Can you fill an extra 10 gallons above full? They might go in VERY SLOWLY -- trickling the fuel in after the automatic cut-off at the fuel pump. This was my experience. (My story getting this fixed...)

Some more info on this...
- Some may want to know-46 g. tank info
- 46 gal "Replacement Tank" (Diesel)
- Transfer flow fuel tank behavior

-- Geoff
Old 01-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #4

I've never been able to figure out the 46gal tank mystery either.

When my low fuel light comes on it usually takes 35-37 gallons to "fill" the tank. I've never actually run down to zero or fuel pump shutoff because of concern about injector damage.

But some experimenting does suggest as geofff says that the extra capacity exists above the full mark on the gauge. If I'm really patient and want to waste a good 15-30 minutes at the pump, I can get an extra 5-10 gallons into the tank above the auto shut off point.

When I'm going off into BFE this is worth the extra time and I'll dump in 40+ gallons just to be safe.

But 95% of the time I don't worry and just fill until the pump shuts off.

If you learn more of have contrary info, please let me know.

R
Old 01-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #5

I have the same issue. The replacement float was the same part. They offered to bend the float but I refused...rather say empty with 10 gallons left than the reverse. I did run my tank 110 miles beyond empty. Then I was able to fill 45 gallons (ie two gallons left) without having to slowly overfill the tank as others describe. So in my senerio, I am unable to tap that last 10 gallons. SMB feels my computer will learn overtime. We will see. At empty, the engine goes into limp mode and loses power. This is a computer issue, not an engine starve issue.

If you drop the tank, lower all the auxilliary fuel lines...heater/stove/flatplate etc.

-j
Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketcham
At empty, the engine goes into limp mode and loses power. This is a computer issue, not an engine starve issue.

-j
How do you define 'empty'. Are you saying when the engine goes into limp mode that is 'empty', or are you saying when the gauge reads 'empty' the engine goes into limp mode?

I've had my van go 80 miles past the 'DING' indicating 'LO FUEL' and never been in limp mode - I was getting concerned however.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwmc

SMB sent me new parts, float/pickup tube, ford did the repairs and said was as it should be. Still having the same issues.

Anyone else having the same problems?

FWMC
How do you know there are ~10 gallons in the fuel tank? Is it because you can only put in 37, or is it because you drained it and checked how much was left?

As noted in some of the posts referenced above, there is an issue with venting the tank that makes it difficult to get the last 10 gallons into the tank. The first time I filled my tank, it took 45 minutes to get those last 10 gallons in. Then I got the venting fixed and no more issues.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider
When I'm going off into BFE this is worth the extra time and I'll dump in 40+ gallons just to be safe.

But 95% of the time I don't worry and just fill until the pump shuts off.
Yeah, I also thought I could just live with the slow filling, but after a long Baja trip I decided get it fixed. How do you convince full-service attendants to stand there drizzling gas into your tank for an extra 10 minutes?

I bought my van to go deep into BFE, so the extra range is so worth it.

-- Geoff
Old 01-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #9

I did not check to see if there was 10 gallon left. I ran it on empty for 100 miles. If 10 gallons were left at 15 miles per gallon...I had some reserve for margin of error. On empty I consumed another 7 gallons. 2 were left if I filled with no issues filling to 45 gallons. That would lead me to believe this is not a venting issue, since I started at 47 gallons. The computer reads zero and goes into limp mode immediately...2010 year van.

thoughts?
Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #10

You guys are on it.

I'll try filling the tank o-so slowly to see if I can pump more fuel than previously. I usually click it a few times after auto shut off to top it off, or so I thought. I just started communicating with Ben at Transfer Flow today about this problem and will bring the venting issue up with him.

If this is the issue it's hard to believe they haven't figured this out themselves and come up with a solution if this many owners have the same problem. The extra range would be nice.

Thanks all for your input. Cheers!

FWMC
fwmc is offline   Reply With Quote