Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2022, 08:44 PM   #1

Transmission Issues…

2006 E-350 6.0 90k miles, 10k loaded, 4WD.

She been a bit delayed on engaging into first, needing to rev up a bit to lock into gear. Once moving she’s fine with normal shifting.

This weekend while doings some Off-roads and climbing a steep slope she starting slipping bad, would not engage into 1st. I went into 4WD Low and she engaged no problem, shifted fine.

While driving home (2WD) the issue returned with Van randomly slipping before engaging into 1st.

I’m thinking a bad torque converter, likely ?
Is there and upgraded HD plug and play replacement ?

Any good SoCal trans shops, I’m a happy Capistrano Ford Customer but figure something like this may be better at a shop that focuses on transmission? Thoughts ?

Tks

Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 08:47 PM   #2

Possibly a weak pump. Definitely should get some diagnostics done. Could be a sticking solenoid but I'm not sure sure since it seems to happen consistently but go away with more RPMs (=more line pressure). What's the fluid service history? Old/broken down fluid can affect line pressures.
Old 04-17-2022, 08:54 PM   #3

Inglewood Transmission Services in Fullerton, CA. "Mike L" has been a big presence on a number of forums and appears to be an expert from everything I've seen from him. Definitely knows the diesel truck world...most of the places I've seen his posts are in Duramax and Powerstroke forums.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 09:15 PM   #4

Carringb,
Trans Oil changed ahead of schedule, it looks clear, no smell, temps always fine. Shouldn’t low trans pressure show an engine code?

mgmetalwork, Thanks! reaching out to him this week.
Old 04-18-2022, 03:48 PM   #5

I'm sure it is not the same problem, but I just had an issue with the transmission harness on my 6.0 starting to fail.

The original harness wires started to crack and my trans was locked in 4th gear limp mode. If you end up doing transmission work, you might want to look at replacing the harness before it becomes an issue.

If you are interested, I have the upper and lower harness for your van, new and unused. I mistakenly bought the harness for 2007 and earlier 6.0's
Old 04-18-2022, 04:55 PM   #6

I had the same issue with a delayed first gear engagement, although it did not get as severe as your symptoms. When I took it to a transmission shop they felt it was a problem with the pump. When we dropped the pan there were just a couple of small metal particles in addition to a reasonable amount of microscopic filings on the magnet. The shop felt as though I could get perhaps two more years out of it, or maybe only two weeks. After looking at all the options, all the guarantees, I ended up with a Ford remanufactured transmission that is guaranteed for three years with unlimited mileage and warranty at any Ford dealer. It was not cheap, but the extended warranty and availability of service at any Ford dealer sold me. Most all other transmissions I looked at were 12 months or 12,000 miles, and if it breaks down, they said no problem, simply bring it back to us. That would be fine if it broke down somewhere near their shop, but more likely, it would be somewhere thousands of miles away, so I elected to spend the extra money. By the way, have you checked the fluid level with the transmission fully warmed up and idling in park?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 12:51 AM   #7

Metalworks, drove by today. Mike sold the place a few years back and retired. 2/3 of the place now a parts wh and distribution biz. They have one bay working on off-road and race cars, didn’t seem interest on the van. But Tks anyways.

Fork-N-Road, I’ll keep the hardness in mind, may be a thing that I have to buy from the shop to get warranty, PM me a pic of the item - SKU and I can show it to the shop.

arctictraveller, I’m of the same thinking Re PM on a 6.0 that spends a lot of time off the asphalt, (my relax time). If the repair requires a removal we are likely doing overhaul and looking for items that could be upgraded like the torque converter ….

Looking for ideas on what a bullet prof trans would look like.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:46 PM   #8

Update, trans oil pressure decreasing when she hot. At this point probably putting a remanuf replacements but Fords OEM ($$$) are on back order, no even providing a delivery date. Looking at 3rd party options at this point…. Any suggestion ?
Old 04-25-2022, 07:42 PM   #9
Site Team

John Wood Automotive, but according to their website they may be slowing down.

They do show an extended lead time, but I don't know if that applies to you bringing the vehicle to them and having them rebuild it on the spot.

jwtt.com

Herb
Old 04-25-2022, 08:27 PM   #10
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
https://www.atsdiesel.com/ats-5r110
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote