Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2008, 08:46 PM   #11

Thanks for the hint...it will take a little study to implement. If I have questions, you're see them here first...

Old 10-10-2008, 10:20 PM   #12

Programming the scangauge for tranny temp is pretty easy and being able to monitor this while driving is helpful.

Highest temps I've ever seen were about 200-210deg, while pulling a very long hill in 100+deg temps through Utah. To state the obvious, my tranny temp varies substantially depending on the outside air temp.

We just did 300 miles tonight heading into the Sierras and outside temps were a cool 50-70deg the entire drive. On Sherwin grade just north of Bishop it never broke above 155deg. On a hot summer day I'll typically get up to 190-195deg on that climb.

When climbing any grade, as soon as my speed falls below 50mph, I turn off OD.

Rob
Old 10-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #13

Trans temps will run highest when the torque converter is slipping the most. Input and output rpm's are quite a bit different and the input and output torques are the same. Since Horsepower is a function of torque x rpm there is more horsepower coming into the torque converter and less going out. All the lost horsepower is turned into heat.

At higher rpm's the torque converter becomes more efficient and temps tend to run lower. At higher loads the rpm spread becomes greater and temps go up.

The highest temps I've seen were about 225 while climbing a long, steep, rough grade in 4wd Lo range at 1-5mph.

Not all ScanGauges can show trans temp. Only the newer ones. Even my early ScanGauge II couldn't show it until I sent it back to be upgraded for X-gauge.
Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Not all ScanGauges can show trans temp. Only the newer ones. Even my early ScanGauge II couldn't show it until I sent it back to be upgraded for X-gauge.
Mike
Im wondering how old ours is. I will try the program today. Did they charge you to upgrade to the X-gauge version?
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:56 AM   #15

I just checked our Scangauge and it doesn't have the X-Gauge function. To check yours, push the button with the red ring and then More>More>More. If you have the X-gauge function, it will show on this screen. If not, it will show "Use Defaults" and Version (if I recall from viewing a minute ago).

Here is the information on upgrades:

http://www.scangauge.com/support/upgrade.shtml

Unfortunately, while ours is a Scangauge II, it was purchased back in 2006. But $25 is a lot cheaper than having a transmission temperature gauge installed! Thanks Scatter for bringing this to our attention!
Old 10-11-2008, 07:04 PM   #16

I bought my Scangauge about a year ago, and it didn't come with the tranny temp setting in it but it was able to be added. I was happy to find that out as keeping track of the trans temp is one of the main reasons I bought the gauge. I do wish they made a "double" size display so I could track eight items instead of four. More info is always good to have...
Old 10-21-2008, 10:26 AM   #17

This is some good info on the transmissions. I work for the Park Service and we have had transmission issues in several of our work trucks with the 7.3 PSD. One truck only had about 40k on it. I don't own a SMB yet (but I'm looking hard) and the tranny issue is something I am definitly looking out for. If the transmission hasn't been replaced in a 7.3 PSD is it safe to say that I might as well take the price of a replacement into consideration when I do finally buy a SMB? I doing a lot of research before I offically join the SMB club so I'm glad I found this website. Good stuff...
Old 10-24-2008, 08:29 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider
Highest temps I've ever seen were about 200-210deg, while pulling a very long hill in 100+deg temps through Utah. To state the obvious, my tranny temp varies substantially depending on the outside air temp.

We just did 300 miles tonight heading into the Sierras and outside temps were a cool 50-70deg the entire drive. On Sherwin grade just north of Bishop it never broke above 155deg. On a hot summer day I'll typically get up to 190-195deg on that climb.

Rob
OK my trany runs normally at 195 and on a steep run between 200-220. Our shop says to keep it below 240 on the 6.0's trany. Even when its 50 degrees out, on a steep grade I get close to 220 at lower speeds in low range.
Dave.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote