Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2021, 03:12 PM   #1

Transmission Range Sensor P0706 etc codes and emergency starting

Hi gang,

I suppose this is just an FYI or informational post. Had a new (for me) issue last weekend). I was about 15 miles in towards a campsite on a dirt/4x4 road. Transmission started hunting gears and engine surging. OD light started to flash, transmission moved into a single (high) gear and manual gear selection would not effect gear.

Got to my site late and troubleshot in the morning.

Threw P0706, P0707, P1702 codes--which all indicate Transmission range sensor (or possible PCM) issue.

Ignition key did not engage starter solenoid. = No start.

Tried cleaning the terminal/plug connection at the tranny and disconnecting batteries to reset PCM. Also tried clearing codes with my Edge Insight.

No change.

I was relieved to find that at least this situation the PCM only disables the starter solenoid, not Fuel, etc. I was able to jump the starter and solenoid terminals with a screw driver and limp my way home in 4th gear (guessing, maybe 3rd).

Waiting to get it into a shop to drop the tranny pan and check the TRS.

Just an fyi that if you have an electrical No Start, it is worth powering the key on and jumping the starter/solenoid to get yourself out of a sticky. In my case this would have been a very tricky flat tow, and a very difficult trailer extraction.

Safe travels,

Tom

2005 E350
6.0 Diesel
169k miles
GTRV and Salem-Kroger conversions.

Yovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 03:49 PM   #2

Garage
As most owners, I've had my share of opportunities develop while on the road. Even though my hopes are NOT to encounter any similar issue(s) EVER, info such as this always becomes "valuable" insight...so appreciate your post Tom.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:21 AM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Thanks for sharing your experience---glad you were able to limp out of your camp site. Great ingenuity BTW!!

This does highlight its important to carry a few tools on-board, assembly of such a thing based upon past experiences and/or posts like this as well.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yovan View Post
I was able to jump the starter and solenoid terminals with a screw driver
Thank you for this - might save someone's bacon some day.

To clarify, you jumped the starter/solenoid down at the starter itself, under the van. Is that correct?
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:31 AM   #5

You can also just jump the fender-mounted relay.

Just make sure it’s in park! It’ll run you over if you jumper either starter relay or solenoid and it’s in gear still.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
You can also just jump the fender-mounted relay.
Just make sure it’s in park! It’ll run you over if you jumper either starter relay or solenoid and it’s in gear still.
Good advise, many years ago I saw a guy with a VW bus crawl underneath to jump the starter but it was in gear and it ran him over, took off down the road and kept going till it hit a utility pole. He wasn't seriously hurt, but he sure was embarrassed.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 01:35 PM   #7

Also another thing to try if the range sensor is suspect…

Using a helper, holder the key to the start position while cycling through the gears. Depending which transmission…. It could start starting in gear too so make sure the brake is set, nobody in a potential pinch point.

Those sensors do occasionally fail. Its more likely than a PCM fault. Of course, sometimes rodents can cause damage to that circuit.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:18 PM   #8

I had a somewhat similiar issue. In my case it was the transmission internal wiring harness. Possibly gunk in the transmission partially shorts out the harness causing odd codes. I think a PO707 code will not allow you to start. I had that code and was able to restart after clearing codes. Cleaning the connection between the internal and external connection may work but it is unlikely. Also making sure the transmission is grounded might be be a good idea. At any rate it be worth while to have someone with a sophisticated code reader give you some ideas in what direction to go. We thought initially that it was the PCM but it was not.
lolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 06:53 AM   #9

Jumping "Fender mounted relay" ? Can you describe location and procedure how to do this ? Or is this something you personally installed do to previous needs/use ? I usually carry some extra wiring for helping others - or me - but what gauge best for overall use for "jumpers. "? Thanks --
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:37 AM   #10

The fender mount started relay is next to the main battery. To “jumper” it, just touch your least favorite metal tool across the posts. Channel locks seem just right but sometimes it can weld the jaws open. Also make sure the handle doesn’t touch the body or any other metal since that would be a direct short to ground.