Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #141

Re: Transmission Temperature

My temperatures are right on par with Robs using the Amsoil product and no after market transmission cooler . I feel that the Mag Hytec Pan has provided the greatest reduction in temperatures while towing Boats and Trailers in the summer months . I have noted reduced temperatures with the addition of the Edge Platinum Controller set on the #2 mode that they define as Tow Mode when towing or pulling long grades in the summer months of 5 to 7 degrees , this mode allows for longer periods between shifts , I have also ran some slow back country trips in this mode and noted a very mild difference in the transmission temps and it was also some what beneficial for water , Oil and EGT's , I really noticed the change while locked up disconnected and in Low Range crawling , the Transmission wasn't continually looking for the next gear .
Greggd

Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:23 AM   #142
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
PCM monitors inside the valve body, which could be hotter than a pan reading.
Well, that's something I didn't want to hear. My next big project is to get those above 220 degree temps down while I'm crawling slow in low range on a hot day...bigger cooler I guess. The tow package just isn't cutting it.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:30 AM   #143

I went to two tranmission places and they would not touch a cooler for front stating the ford stock is the best there is. I wanted to do what the Badger's did and move the small transmission cooler over for the steering fluid and then replace that with a much larger tranny one. Not much room to place anything else. Then off to a credible offroad place here in Portland and they suggested a fan operated system behind the gas tank. I had my reservations since if the fan went out, there is very little air flow back there and I would burn up my transmission. I wonder if the 2010 year has a larger cooler. Regardless, I still need something better.
Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:14 PM   #144

I have a 2000 Quigley 7.3 Diesel, 3:55s running 285s and I believe the 4R100 tranny. Also have Amsoil synthetic in the tranny and everywhere else. Running the Edge to watch EGTs and Tranny temps as well as gain some power, either on the 2nd or 3rd tune. The 3rd tune really wakes up the motor and helps a lot in the hills, just need to watch the EGTs.
On normal highway driving I don't see much over 170-180, sometimes 190. However in the mountains it jumps to between 190 and 210 on normal mountain roads. Going up the very steep switchbacks to the Sequoia's a few weeks ago it reached a max of 237, way too warm for my likings. I pulled over when I could and let it cool down. After getting to the top it dropped back down in the 190-210 range and was fine for the normal moutain roads the rest of the trip. Granted the Edge is probably using the stock Ford pickup that carringb says is in the valve body so I could be getting higher readings that what is in the pan. Still too high either way.
Last weekend I was at some local mountains in some tighter roads where it was running around 210 and 220 at times because of how slow I was going and how steep some sections where. When the road turned to dirt I put it in 4Low and just cruised up the rest of the way to camp and the temps stayed down around 200-210.
Having 3:55s with 285s doesn't help the situation but I like the highway mileage and low RPMs for long trips. Combined with the Edge I have enough power so I will try installing a tranny cooler with a fan and see if that is enough. Hoping it will be because if I can keep the 3:55s for the highway stuff the transfer case helps out in the slow stuff. Will call over to the South Bay Auto guys who work on my van and see if they have any ideas and if they will do the work for me, don't have the time and I like them.
Is there a preferred tranny cooler? Looks like the Badger's used one and then someone else used a B&M, both with fans. Putting it behind the gas tank doesn't sound like the best plan as I would want to take advantage of the direct airflow when not going slow and then the fan when wheeling.
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #145

My shop said the same thing on my 01 PSD. That the existing tranny cooler is as good as it gets and that anything else is going to be very little value for the money. Its hard to understand where these guys get their science. In theory with abig enough cooler one could cool the highest temp to ambient so by definition the more surface area being cooled the lower then tranny temps.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #146

I have the Mag Hytec pan on my 99 2WD V10 4R100 and LE 7500 monobloc oil and no issues (admittedly a lighter van but I have towed some monster loads, including a 32' car trailer with 2 cars on it, plus a full load of spares/wheels).

Not sure what I will do for the SMB --- definitely thinking about a temp gauge. I like the Mag Hytec pan but worried a bit about ground clearance. The LE oil is great but it is important to fully drain and bleed the torque converter.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #147
Site Team

FWIW, a number of 7.3L owners (at least the F-series, not sure about the E-series) have replaced their factory trans coolers with the Ford trans cooler for the 6.0L. Quite a bit larger.

Herb
Old 07-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #148

Reading KTMRIDER's post reminded me about the low-range option. I almost always go into low-range on steep and twisty grades. The noticeably reduces tranny temps. Even on some very steep and long climbs I have never seen above 210 when in low-range.
R
Old 07-15-2011, 06:16 PM   #149

how fast can you go in low range -- I assume you keep it in 2wd? P
pinsx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:24 PM   #150
Site Team

Garage

I rarely move over 30 MPH in low range (2 or 4 wheel drive). I don't know what advanced adaptors suggests but it probably depends on the overall gearing on the drive train. In steep situations I move in 4x4 to reduce heavy loads on the rear diff/axle. I do see a reduced trany temp in low range but slow crawling (5-10 mph) is still a problem in my vehicle. "WHEN" the fan is set to cycle on might be where Rob and I differ. (Rob I thought you are running a tunner, but I might be wrong) I'm stock. It's possible that my fan might engage at a higher temp than those with tunners...I just don't know. Every vehicle is different. I have a Starcool and that be what's causing the problem as well. Like I said, I just don't know but it needs to be addressed.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote