Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2011, 08:03 AM   #161

Re: Transmission Temperature

That's amazing that the exhaust wrap has lowered your EGTs....it seems like it would increase them, if anything. Can anyone explain this?

Looks like they did an excellent job, I wonder how this would work on a 6.0

Old 08-31-2011, 08:46 AM   #162

KTMRIDER - Look at your owners manual. It warns specifically against installing a tub/fin cooler, because the pressure drop introduced can damage the transmission.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:55 AM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
KTMRIDER - Look at your owners manual. It warns specifically against installing a tub/fin cooler, because the pressure drop introduced can damage the transmission.
Thanks for the info! I will take a look in the manual and ask Hubert about it. Isn't the stock Aux Cooler a tube and fin though, I thought it was? It is an additional run of tranny tube back to the new Aux Cooler but have no idea if it is enough to cause a pressure drop issue. Wonder if the pressure can be measured to make sure it is in spec?
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:37 PM   #164

Transmission Temperature

KTMRider, Are you comfortable with that cooler mounted where it is?
Old 08-31-2011, 12:49 PM   #165
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDieselVans
That's amazing that the exhaust wrap has lowered your EGTs....it seems like it would increase them, if anything. Can anyone explain this?

Looks like they did an excellent job, I wonder how this would work on a 6.0
From what I was told is it allows the exhaust gas to exit the system faster. Increased exhaust scavenging is produced helping to lower intake temperatures. Diesel exhaust wrap also reduces radiant heat damage and can lower under hood temperatures by as much as 50%.
I found my trany temps have not climbed above 220 in the same conditions that before the wrap was exceeding 220*. But I'm taking temps from the top of the pan. I also saw lower EGT's

Gregg posted on this. I was surprised.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:11 PM   #166

Stock cooler is either plate-and-fin, or stacked plate depending on year. Mine '00 had plate/fin (still has actually, just it's the 40k Tru-Cool now).
Old 09-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver350
KTMRider, Are you comfortable with that cooler mounted where it is?
It is the best place we could figure out and is protected by my steps and the thick guard they made. It wouldn't fit in the stock location with good mounting and like someone else posted since it has a fan it can be mounted remotely. I would prefer the stock location though but at least it is away from the engine heat and the other side of the frame from the exhaust.
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
Old 09-01-2011, 06:04 PM   #168

I was able the fit the monstrous Tru Cool Max 40,000 GVW cooler in the stock location. One of the stock cooler supports had to be trimmed away, but other than that, perfect fit.

I do think I'll probably add a fan though, but mostly for AC performance at idle.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:35 PM   #169

I am having a custom cooler placed behind the gas tank...last place of real estate left under the EB van. It will have a thermostat and engage only when above a set temperature. That way the cooler will not over-cool in cold temperatures. I will post photos when done. The 2010 E350 has zero room under the hood to modify anything. Although I will enlarge the steering fluid cooler.
Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:21 AM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
carringb,

I put in a call to the shop and asked them to check into this. Their initial response was that this was the cooler recommended by the people they ordered from. Don't know if this was from a catalog or a horse's mouth but all the specs were given by the shop when ordering. Not that what you are saying isn't true I just need somewhere to point the shop.

Also, finally just read through all the manuals that came with my van and see no mention of the warning on using a tube and fin cooler. I have the 2000 7.3 E350 EB with the 4R100 tranny and stock towing package. Are you sure this is true with the 4R100?

Did look online and found a few mentions of not using a tube and fin with overdrive trannies but it was so generic I can't go just by that blanket statement. Can you point me to a reputable source or document on this topic for proof that I can take back to the shop for more research?
Thanks for your input on this, appreciate it.
Eric