Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2009, 10:07 AM   #81

Re: Transmission Temperature

What did you use to make the holes? I see you did not install the winch. Why go with that bumper if not going to have a winch?
I have the ruenell front bumper. I have been looking at cutting out some of the steel to improve airflow, and reduce the wieght. Any suggestions on how to do it right?

Old 09-28-2009, 11:25 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider
I'm going to have the Zylstra folks install an air scoop on the bottom of the front aluminess to re-direct airflow upwards into the bottom of the radiator and tranny cooler. It is pretty cheap and they have done this for several other owners with good results.

R
Any idea on the time and cost to install? I've been fairly satisfied with my engine and trans temps (I do have a MagHytec trans pan), but excess heat is the enemy of all things mechanical and electrical, so I'd be interested in additional steps to keep temps down. There seems to be such a large variance in user's engine and trans temps, its hard to tell what the norm might be. I've got three large Hellas on top of my front Aluminess bumper, but like I said, my engine and trans temps have been OK.

I'm heading to Fresno early next month, so a detour on the way home may be in order.

Herb
Price is about $250-$300 for the air scoop mod, depending on the exact configuration.

I'm glad to hear that others have seen improvement with various 'tricks' to improve airflow to the bottom of the radiator.

I need to do some light towing up long grades in the near future so want to get this fixed asap.

Another option aside from losing the bumper entirely is to sacrifice the built in storage box. Just cut a 12-14 inch (best guess) air tunnel right thru the front of the bumper to allow air flow. I'd rather try that than have to swap back to the stock ford bumper.

Rob
Old 09-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMBDAD
What did you use to make the holes? I see you did not install the winch. Why go with that bumper if not going to have a winch?
I have the ruenell front bumper. I have been looking at cutting out some of the steel to improve airflow, and reduce the wieght. Any suggestions on how to do it right?
I first made the holes with a drill and a hole saw. It takes awhile to cut through 1/4" steel, but it worked. Then when I got home I put the bumper on the milling machine and accurately finished the holes.

There is nothing wrong with a holes saw and time to make holes. It helps to measure and locate the starting position for each hole. Maybe even a small pilot hole to ensure the hole is where you want it to be.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:04 PM   #84
Site Team

Garage

I would like to see a picture of Zilstra's air dam.

Anybody got one?

I plan to do the air box before summer and if the scoop looks good I'll have them do that as well. But I still want to address the trany temp issue during steep climbs at slow speeds. That is where I run close to 220 not when cruising at 50MPH

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:46 PM   #85

EB E350 Cruiser Top with V10

Yall have got me thinking

Per dave, the over heating is not a common deall

However, i am nipping in the bud with the below mod to my bump

Pic supplied by Dave at Aluminess, my bump will be black

billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I would like to see a picture of Zilstra's air dam.

Anybody got one?

I plan to do the air box before summer and if the scoop looks good I'll have them do that as well. But I still want to address the trany temp issue during steep climbs at slow speeds. That is where I run close to 220 not when cruising at 50MPH
Dave,
I had zylstra do the air box mod and the air scoop for me on Friday. They have a nice facility and it was a good experience. I told them in advance that I had a time constraint and had to be on the road for home no later than 2pm. Left home at 445am, pulled into their lot at 8am sharp and they started to work on the van by 815am. The airbox mod is an interesting design that they created. That was a lot more labor intensive than the air scoop. The scoop was attached between the front leaf springs to direct air upwards.

I worked all day in the van while they worked away outside. They finished the work at 130pm and off I went for home.

The mods did cause a change in my operating temps and performance. Modest, but noticeable and not exactly in the way I expected.

Outside air temp on the drive home was in the low 90s. Intake air temp was 92-94 all the way down hwy99 till I hit the grapevine. That strecth is flat as a pancake and I was doing 65mph with the AC on the whole way.

The mods helped drop my average operating temps by a modest 10-15deg versus where they were on an identical drive home a few weeks ago. The water temp fluctuated between 205-215deg the whole way and it took a much longer 12-15min or so to cycle between the low and high ends of that range. On my prior drive, once the fan kicked on and knocked down the water temp, it would be back up at 215 within a minute or two. The tranny temp fluctuated in a very tight range of 180-185 the whole drive, versus 195-205 on the prior trip.

So, better, but on average not as much as I anticipated.

There was a more noticeable difference in my peak temps, however. Not sure why, but there was. Climbing the grapevine (with both AC and overdrive turned off), I pulled the hill comfortably at 50-52mph, versus 45mph or so on the prior drive. I assume that was due to better airflow into the motor. My peak observed water temp on the climb was 216deg. My peak observed tranny temp on the climb was 192deg. Outside air temps were low 90s. That seemed pretty good to me. On my last drive, scangauge showed peak water temps of 225deg and tranny temp of 212deg.

As always, my experience is just one anecdote. But all in all, I'm glad I had the work done. Every little bit helps.

Rob
Old 10-04-2009, 08:12 PM   #87

PIcs of the Zylstra mod anyone??
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:51 PM   #88
Site Team

Garage

Thanks Rob. I too would like to see the scoop. Greggde had Zilstra's do the air box with good results and I plan to have it done early next year. This engine runs so hot everything to help flow is a positive move. Greg told me Zilstra's are working on a paper element. When you get a chance throw in a couple of pics shoot em this way.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:15 PM   #89

Rob ,
You experienced nearly identical results to my Air Box installation , not a huge change but every little change in lowering our operating temperatures is important . I haven't seen one yet but Shawn as Zlystras was going to copy my Scatter Scoop and it can be seen in my Gallery if Rob hasn't had the time to photograph his yet , I would think they are very similar check out page 16 in my gallery .
Another little bit of information from FORD's tech manual says that the normal operating temperature for the Radiator / Water system was 195 to 215 degree's , I had the Service Manager at Colley FORD pull it up on their computer while having my Radiator system flushed and refilled . It also referenced the Fan would begin to cycle at over 200 plus degree's .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:39 PM   #90
Site Team

Garage

Scatter scoop??? For Christ sake don’t post that in the homemade section. Zilstra’s might be in trouble and I hope Scatter doesn’t sue In all jests, I have been waiting for this and feel a manufacture somewhere close to SMBW is a good choice. If it helps SMB owners, all the better. I still vote it to be called the Scatter Scoop