Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2023, 04:38 PM   #1

Transmission Type from VIN Door Sticker...

Hello All,

Wondering if anyone can help identify which transmission i have in my 2006 e250 SMB Conversion (cargo van original) w a 5.4 in it. I'm away from my van travelling for work and trying to do some research in my transmission (for a cooler) while travelling.

Door jam pic attached
Attached Thumbnails
e250 VIN.jpg  

bhamBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 08:48 PM   #2

All 5.4L vans that year got the 4R75W transmission.

What makes you suspect you need more trans cooling? Usually those only have issues at very low speeds (like trail crawling... because of no airflow). Mostly because the 5.4L just doesn't make enough power to usually cause excessive heat in the trans.
Old 01-04-2023, 09:18 PM   #3

carringB,

I'm being preemptive w the cooling. I want to comfortably flat tow a 3,000lb Suzuki sidekick and we do a lot of mountain passes in the pacific northwest. We also like to head up forest service roads in search of dry camping spots.

I'm only 2wd at this point; but considering a conversion in the near future if we can 'justify' the cost... basically gotta use the van more to prove the family enjoys it enough.

The 5.4 might not make alot of power, but like any vehicle, it'll go slow up mountain passes and backcountry vehicles. That's gotta be hard on stock trans coolers... so I'd like to upgrade and keep it cool. I grew up driving a '77 VW bus that would get anywhere; just a little slower than everyone else. So it's in my upbringing to drive slow and take it easy on my vehicle.

Happy to take suggestions or constructive advice if I'm going the wrong direction in my thinking though...
bhamBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 09:41 PM   #4

My suspicion is, you probably don't need it. Do you have a data display, like a ScanGauge? Maybe get a baseline before throwing cooling at it? I don't think you'll have issues on the passes pulling 3,000 pounds. It'll be the slow-speed steep Forest Roads when you might have issues. But... you may want to unhook anyways in those situations, because bumpy terrain can really throw around your Sidekick while it's being towed, and you won't be able to back up while you're hitched together.

My dad's van also has the 5.4L, and the only time the transmission has gotten hot, was after he made numerous attempts at backing the boat up a steep driveway (~25%) on a hot day. I've even towed my 11,000# trailer with his van once when mine was getting a new rear axle.
Old 01-13-2023, 03:03 AM   #5

Smile

I found sites that can help you https://www.transmissionrepaircostguide.com/what-transmission-do-i-have/ https://www.faxvin.com/vin-decoder
I also found 6 easy ways to find out what kind of gearbox you have
Method #1: Use The Transmission Lookup Tool
Method #2: Check The Placard On The Driver’s Side Door
Method #3: Use The Owner’s Manual
Method #4: Observe The Transmission Or Transmission Oil Pan
Method #5: Decode The VIN Number Method #6: Search The Transmission With License Plate This info found this https://www.obdadvisor.com/what-transmission-do-i-have/ I hope advice work and be useful for you.
Grant638r is offline   Reply With Quote