Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2015, 02:35 PM   #1

Troque Pro or Scangauge II?

I currently have a bully dog GT tuner that I use to monitor EGT/ECT/EOT but cannot monitor FICM with it. Will the Torque pro app monitor FICM or do I just need to bite the bullet and buy a scangauge?

scummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:46 PM   #2

Garage
What engine? I believe it can. On my 02 7.3, it was programmed to read it and it worked... kinda.

I have an OBDII splitter cable so I had both units plugged in at the same time so I could compare the readings on both. The torque pro readings were generally comparable to my scangaugeII readings... BUT the FICM reading on torque pro would bounce around randomly sometimes and then settle out again for a little while and then bounce around again while the scangauge stayed consistent and steady the whole time. I never figured out what one was reading correctly, but I generally believed the scangauge more than torque pro. I also had an issue with the HPOP reading bouncing around on torque pro too so I think my bluetooth ELM327 module was acting up and causing some funny stuff to happen.

The other issue with using torque pro is that sometimes it can decide that it will randomly turn off your vehicle. It's only an issue with Fords and apparently is more of an issue when you're using the cheaper chinese ELM bluetooth modules. Mine isn't a cheap module and I still had that problem so it's kinda hit/miss. Some people smarter than me have figured out ways to get it all to run smooth but I didn't really want to spend the time on it when I have a perfectly functioning scangauge that requires NO fussing around.

Read here:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13...ine-stops.html
ert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:42 AM   #3

Thanks! Looks like I will go the scan gauge route.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ert01 View Post
What engine? I believe it can. On my 02 7.3, it was programmed to read it and it worked... kinda.

I have an OBDII splitter cable so I had both units plugged in at the same time so I could compare the readings on both. The torque pro readings were generally comparable to my scangaugeII readings... BUT the FICM reading on torque pro would bounce around randomly sometimes and then settle out again for a little while and then bounce around again while the scangauge stayed consistent and steady the whole time. I never figured out what one was reading correctly, but I generally believed the scangauge more than torque pro. I also had an issue with the HPOP reading bouncing around on torque pro too so I think my bluetooth ELM327 module was acting up and causing some funny stuff to happen.

The other issue with using torque pro is that sometimes it can decide that it will randomly turn off your vehicle. It's only an issue with Fords and apparently is more of an issue when you're using the cheaper chinese ELM bluetooth modules. Mine isn't a cheap module and I still had that problem so it's kinda hit/miss. Some people smarter than me have figured out ways to get it all to run smooth but I didn't really want to spend the time on it when I have a perfectly functioning scangauge that requires NO fussing around.

Read here:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13...ine-stops.html
What splitter are you using? I'd like to run the bullydog and scan gauge at the same time if possible. The more info I can see at a glance the better off I'll be. I have a 2006 6.0l
scummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:24 AM   #5

Garage
I dont remember the brand name, but you can find them on Amazon for a reasonable price.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:16 AM   #6

There's no comparison, Torque pro app is miles ahead.
Here is a screen shot from recently, and lets see a screen shot from a scanguage lol.

Don't get me wrong, I've had both... but.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:40 AM   #7

Garage
I agree Torque can functionally do much more, but look at all that information overload though!
I mean is intake temp really necessary? And speed? You already have a factory speedometer... And unless you can control the shift points manually, gear position is unnecessary.

My Scangauge is much more plug n play than TP and shows exactly what I need it to show. If I want more, I just push one button to cycle through it all. Pretty easy to use.

I'm not saying TP isn't good... because it totally is great... but only if you feel you NEED all that stuff.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:45 AM   #8

That's the great part, 30 guages or 1... the user can set what they want.
As for over-load, hardly. I have two more mechanical guages on the dash for EGT and water.
It's better to have the option to know than not.
Do I live in fear or feel the need to constantly look, nope but when I'm climbing a hill/mountain out west or cruising the flats of Florida I can know what's going on with my van.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
That's the great part, 30 guages or 1... the user can set what they want.
As for over-load, hardly. I have two more mechanical guages on the dash for EGT and water.
It's better to have the option to know than not.
Do I live in fear or feel the need to constantly look, nope but when I'm climbing a hill/mountain out west or cruising the flats of Florida I can know what's going on with my van.
Have you had any issues with running the Torque pro? Can you add a FICM gauge?
Old 12-15-2015, 05:27 PM   #10

Issues, not one. As for FICM, I'll have to look into it. Does the 7.3 have it?