Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2016, 05:49 AM   #21

Thanks........I think I saw some pictures of your ambulance..white right?.....Is yours turbocharged or IDI btw?
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abitibi View Post
Ive too had my 7.3 ambo done at Agile and I'm running DP Tuner. Mine is a bit lighter (slightly under 10,000) and I run 35's with 4.10 (I should have gone 4.56!)

The 80hp is great aside from one small annoying issue that I'm not sure it's only on mine or the same for everyone else (it hesitates at 35 and 55mph) but regardless, it now drives like a gas engine. Throttle response is amazing, power is great and the only time my egt goes above 1200 is on long Hill so I just switch it on the hill mode and it helps.

For climbing safely, I'd suggest you slowdown to 50-55mph and switch off the OD. It will raise your rpm and lower the egt below 1000...

Hope this help!

Cheers
David

SLACKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:53 AM   #22

Thanks..........I think I am going to look at the Edge as well as the Hydra Chip.....Lots of projects going on here in an effort to head south early January
Power Steering pump & gearbox-
Fix fridge
Mount storage box on roof
Sort spare tire mount on cab roof
Motorcycle Mount on rear...
New mirrors
Yes!.....The obsessive list goes on and on!
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Mitchell View Post
The truck I wished I never would have sold was a 1999 Superduty Crewcab shortbed with a 7.3 I bought it with just under 100k on it and it was stock. I redid the front end with all Moog parts and then changed the turbo and exhaust from front to back, 4in all the way. I ran an Edge Chip (link to mine) on it and was really happy with it. It ran up until 250k miles when I sold it and it is till running great. I see it around town every now and then and it makes me mad I sold it. A good tune makes that motor come alive for sure, mine definitely shifted better had better MPG and more power for sure. It had a built E4OD though so a different trans than your running.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:55 AM   #23

Garage
I have a DP tuner Infinity, with a 60hp and 80 hp tune. 35"s and 4.10 gearing. I also have a built up tranny from Diesel Site (4r100 legendary) Billet output ,torque converter and their upgraded valve body. At first I had some issues after my tranny/4w4 install with shifting in the original tunes Jody sent. Just really hard shifts from 2-3rd 3-4th gears. I called Diesel Site, as well as talked to Jody. We narrowed it down to the valve body being built up having higher line pressure. Thus the tune over calculating the pressure(or something). After a few different tunes. The result was Jody making a tune that had NEGATIVE LINE PRESSURE. He set it to the MAXIMUM MINIMUM (lol if that makes sense) Line pressure (not sure but I think -5)This solved my shifting and now its super smooth with lots of pick-up. Just my two cents. But I run his 60hp Tune as my daily and LOVE IT. Just the right balance/pick-up and HP I feel. I do use the 80hp on long highway driving but it seemed to be to much for daily driving but a great tune. I should probably pick up a 60hp mountain tune from him, sounds like that will do well where I live. If anyone is having problems with their tune, as in with shifting holding I would contact Jody at DP Tuner and he probably has a more recent version of the tune available or can set your RPM shift points a little higher.
ebflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:30 PM   #24

Garage
I just got the DP tuner with 6 tunes. Mine isn't the infinity but the piggy back chip on the ECU. I have 6 tunes including the said 60hp and 80hp daily tunes. My shifts are great but slightly off time due to my speedo being off. I have 4:56 gears and 4" exhaust. I have hit 1400 degrees a few times but only passing on the pass. My tranny is freshly rebuilt by a prominent builder here locally who does truck pull trannies and all the ambulance work as well. I would put him in the same class as BTS Brian and John Wood. He built it the way John Wood does except for a few of John's extras. I have a 3 clutch billet torque converter. The only "strange" shifts I have is when that converter locks up the van feels it in the form of a surge forward. The engine doesn't surge just the momentum as that beast grabs hold. I'm still getting used to the whole setup and it seems like I am just experiencing the engine's power for the first time even though I've had the van for 7 years and put in a brand "new" ford HD tranny. When Sam built the transmission he was very accessible and showed me the whole process. He pointed out, as did John Wood, Ford put in new clutches and the rest was more than questionable. The main bearings in my HD tranny where no where to be found beyond the golf ball of metal on the magnet. The tranny only had 38k on it BTW. Overall I'm REALLY happy with everything. Towing sleds up to St Helens on Wednesday.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:00 AM   #25

Thanks for everyone's input about their experiences with the 7.3 . Having 155K miles on the motor (with original injectors)...I am going to have a local Diesel shop give the engine a once over and see what my baseline is in their opinion. I have no blow-by at the valve covers so I think the rings are in good shape at least.Once I get their opinion on the overall health of the engine (I have driven it about 6K miles back and forth to Agile and it seems to run well to me) I will decide what kind of tuner to proceed with.
I may be going overboard a bit with preventive maintenance but I would rather spend the money and time here in the USA then have problems south of the border. In the meantime I have other Ambo projects going on;
New steering pump/gearbox and hoses
Spare tire rack for 2 tires on cab roof (using scraps of SS I've had laying around my garage for 15 years!)
Motorcycle rack on back- (Raised up about level with bottom of rear doors)
Sorting out the bed- PO had an inflatable mattress setup and I'm switching to Futon
Thanks again guys!
Jim