Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2020, 08:31 PM   #1

Turbo on the 6.0L

I have a question for the engine whizzes about the turbo on my 6 liter engine. 2009 van and at 14k in 2016, had the turbo replaced by Ford with a stock unit. Fault code thrown and turns out PO that I had just bought it from didn't do a good job of exercising the turbo and it was rusted and would not put out much boost. Had it replaced... all was good and I think probably still is.

Noticed then after letting the engine cool down a bit, I would kill the engine and heard a whirring sound from the engine compartment like something freewheeling. Kind of like shutting off power equipment and the 'whatever' spins on it's own till it stops. This sound would go for maybe 10 seconds or so and I believed it to be the turbo just spinning to a stop. No electronic type of sound like some actuator or anything controlling it. No clicking or anything like that.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago and doing preventive maintenance at 48k. We were planning on heading to Baja so I wanted all systems checked and one of them was the turbo. I had my local shop inspect the turbo to make sure everything was in working order which they did. Pulled it apart and made sure everything looked good and operated properly. They cleaned it out and put it back together. Now... no whirring sound. I let the engine EGT get down to about 375 before shutting down like always and as soon as I shut off the engine, no whirring sound. No nothing - just quiet. EGT's are the same as before when operating and I get my 17 pounds of boost like before (high altitude so not getting more than 17).

So... anything to worry about? Was the whirring normal or not? Is the silence upon killing the engine normal or not? Inquiring minds want to know.

TIA
Bob

Old 05-27-2020, 01:51 PM   #2

Whirring is good
Longer after shut down the better
Sounds like he goofed when taking down
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote