Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #1

Twogone in Page with new fan- clutch always engaged

Marc's van is a 95 7.3L and he had a dealer OEM fan put in, it's the second fan as the first that was put in was probably from 1995 and sitting on the shelf for so long it failed right away. So the second was new-new, double checked as "the right part number for the van" and all.

So the problem as I hear it is that dude is on ALL the time. I'm talking 55º in the morning and it takes two+ fingers to move it and all the force in the world won't move it any further than you push it. The backside of that is that it's engaged constantly, which sucks all the power off the engine.

It's supposed to be fully mechanical, being 95, but is it possible there is a 7.3L later (post 99) fan that needs an electrical signal as well? Otherwise I'm stumped, everything I ever did was when the clutch was gone and the fan spins free even hot- this is the opposite, the fan is locked up even cold. It's not even that it's that hot, it's just sucking all the pedal out of the van.

Marc is calling me back in a few hours, so any suggestions or "flip the floor mat over" solutions would be great. Any info on the Page Ford Dealer (good bad indifferent) or little Diesel shops that are top notch in Page would be welcome as well- but of course, holiday weekend and all, Marc is hoping for a "twist that and put an egg in there and you're good to go" solution!

Old 05-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #2

Re: Twogone in Page with new fan- clutch always engaged

I have no help for Marc, but if you have to have a fan fail, that is the failure I would choose. The thermostat will keep the engine hot and except for the noise and a slight power loss there won't be any downsides. Remember when all vehicles had fans that always ran when the engine was running?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
slight power loss
Well, the way I hear it the power loss is anything but slight- "it takes the top end off". I know on the 6.0L you know when the fan comes on, but apparently the constant fan is more of a drag than I'd have thought.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #4

It doesn't make sense that a fan would use an lot of power. I mean, the big industrial fans that move lots of air run a 1-2 HP motor. And the V-belts that used to drive car fans are limited to about 10-20 HP for long life and that includes the alternator, water pump, PS pump. I know the modern drives can transmit more power, but I doubt the fan is using that much power.

On my 6.0 the fan roars when the engine is cold and the noise is enough to make me think the engine will explode and keeps my foot out of the throttle. As it warms a little the fan shuts off until the water temps hit 215.

Could Ford have designed a similar feature into the viscous fan clutch?

Of course, like anything on the internet, this could be all wrong.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #5

The fan on my 2000 7.3 will come on if it is really cold but shuts off once it warms up. The thread i found quickly below says may be the fluid had pooled and needed to be warmed/distributed. It will also come on once the engine gets over a certain temp, normally only when climbing hills and hot out. When on full it does rob a lot of power and this thread is stating 20+ HP.
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f24 ... ad-137084/
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Could Ford have designed a similar feature into the viscous fan clutch?

Mike
Yes but I could be wrong

My work old truck did this and it did suck down a little power. From what our shop says, sometimes the fan clutch sticks...it won't hurt anything so he just needs to get it to a shop and replace it. His engine might even run cooler on the way there.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #7

The fan is basically locked to the driveshaft, s.t. when he turns off the engine the fan stops with the crankshaft.

From my reading at KTMRider's link at 3600 RPM the max fan RPM should be 2850 hot and 2000 cold, and we're pretty sure Marc's is doing 3600@3600, 4K@4K etc, which is what is robbing his hp (i.e. more than the normal fan which no longer spins at speed).

So Marc is hitting the river tomorrow and when he gets back needs a recommendation on Lake Powell Ford's service and/or whether he should hit a dealer in Flagstaff instead.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
Site Team

When is Marc getting off the river? I have a friend in northern AZ, but I can't get his opinion until Tuesday (at the earliest). He should have some recommendations.

The good thing about northern AZ,is that it's truck country.

Herb
Old 05-27-2013, 10:53 PM   #9

Try a hammer. Sounds like the valve in the fan clutch is stuck. Not uncommon on the 7.3L.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #10

how and where do you smack it?