Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2020, 08:13 PM   #21

Garage
Thanks Phil (great times)!

Cheers,
---Bruce--- (epic-exposure.com/albums/adventure/)
twolost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:23 PM   #22

Garage
TwoXentrix - you are a wise. My low estimate is working on my original engine. The high estimate is with a new (rebuilt) engine from Jasper. The Jasper option (long block) is roughly $2K more than working on my original engine and like you mentioned it already comes with head studs (new bearings, re-ground crank, cam, cylinders, and more. Now the ODO can basically be reset to zero. In addition the Jasper comes with a 2 year warranty. Addressing my original engine comes with no warranty. I just need to do a little research on Jasper to see if their work is acknowledged as good, fair, or poor. Thanks,

Cheers,
Old 11-03-2020, 08:38 PM   #23

Garage
Thanks unreng. Diesel is needed to run the diesel heater and diesel generator and use the same fuel source for the works. I have the Edge Evolution CTS2 Diesel tuner (just for engine monitoring) I also now have a ODBII splitter than connects to a Scan Gage scanner to capture the inputs not available on the CTS2.

Cheers,
Old 11-03-2020, 08:46 PM   #24

Garage
Thanks much marret (Chris)! I want to go back to the Gravel Travel route (parts of it) with my family. We wont be in such a dang hurry this next time.

Cheers,
Old 11-03-2020, 08:58 PM   #25

Garage
Dave, I think our vans were made one right after the other. Right before my van encountered the no start when hot issue that had left it stranded for the past year a failing transmission temperature sensor caused my van to go into limp home mode for 400 miles while on a camping trip with my daughter.

Cheers,
Old 11-03-2020, 09:28 PM   #26

Garage
A brief trip down 6.0L memory lane... :-)

Cheers,
Old 11-03-2020, 09:47 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolost View Post
TwoXentrix - you are a wise. My low estimate is working on my original engine. The high estimate is with a new (rebuilt) engine from Jasper. The Jasper option (long block) is roughly $2K more than working on my original engine and like you mentioned it already comes with head studs (new bearings, re-ground crank, cam, cylinders, and more. Now the ODO can basically be reset to zero. In addition the Jasper comes with a 2 year warranty. Addressing my original engine comes with no warranty. I just need to do a little research on Jasper to see if their work is acknowledged as good, fair, or poor. Thanks,
I put in a long block Jasper when I melted a piston at 90k. No issues with the Jasper in the next 40k. If I had to do it over again I would do an Ashville or Kill Devil but Jasper has a solid reputation and I was able to get it quick. That was roughly 8k for the engine and 8k for labor. Wrt labor I did a bunch of other stuff while the engine was out but as I recall 40 hours is not out of the question.

Hard to comment on the local rebuild option since I didn't have that option but with what little I know about the 6.0 I would make sure they eat the powerstroke for lunch. Good luck with it!
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:04 PM   #28

Garage
Many thanks JoeH! I am leaning toward the Jasper option because I think I will end up with a better product with less wear than what I will currently have with patches applied. I dont have the option to go with another engine builder and use this same local shop (and retain the warranty). Thanks again.

Cheers,
Old 11-04-2020, 07:42 AM   #29

Garage
Twolost, Just wishing you well on the outcome. As another 6.0 owner with a rebuilt engine I feel your pain.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:48 AM   #30

Garage
Twolost, If you haven't already converted to Hydroboost brakes, it would be a simple upgrade with the engine out...makes a world of difference!
Might also consider new hoses, Aluminum radiator, a low temp thermostat, and the Tru-cool max 40,000# cooler (P/N LPD47391) transmission cooler upgrade. I could keep going, but just take into consideration that while that engine is out whatever additional items you decide to replace/address are basically 1/2 the price (savings associated with the labor costs... if you had to do any of it with the engine in place it gets expensive). I'd take full advantage of this opportunity.