Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2014, 08:07 PM   #11

Re: Uh-Oh, I think Hal is intercoursed

What a drag. You have put a lot of work into your rig.

On our 98 Dodge Neon had the water pump freeze and take out the belt which stopped the cam. The engine is an interference fit so we bent the valves. It was a difficult decision but we opted for a rebuild by our mechanic, about $3,000. The Neon was paid for and to replace it would have required car payments. Hate car payments.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:17 AM   #12
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

When I was considering a reman'd engine comparing prices between Jasper and Ford it was almost a wash. My needs were for a 5.4, ca 2000, without a core charge it was $2,700 delivered to my garage of choice. I'm sure the 4.2 would be less, can't say for certain as I've never priced one of those.

Both Jasper and Ford have a standard nationwide warranty---I'd not buy without it.

With the work you've already done I'd strongly consider a new motor---at this stage of building plus your ingenuity this would be an easy swap for you WVVan!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:02 AM   #13

It seems like a whole lot of your work could be switched over to a new van pretty easily, though I know that's not an ideal choice. Do you have parking where you could work on slowly swapping things over, if you go that route? The biggest thing I seem to remember at the moment is the pop top. What about doing a body swap on to a better frame/drivetrain/etc.?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:37 AM   #14

My bet is also on hydrolock. I sucked water into my beater Cherokee engine a couple years ago (water crossing was a bit deeper than I thought it was). Having never done that before, I didn't know to pull the plugs and pump the water out before trying to start it (now I know). Cranked the engine, heard a loud bang and that was all she wrote. I had snapped a piston connecting rod which later shot a hole through the side of the block. Luckily, this was all on my beater vehicle though.

Good luck.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #15
Site Team

Thanks guys.

I don't know where this filmed but I wish it was around here. I could use their services.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:54 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage

Sorry to hear about this. I'd think engine replacement would be the way to go being you've put so much work into the van.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:17 PM   #17

When you price remans, be sure to ask about their core policy. If the block was damaged, most rebuilders will not credit the block for a core.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:36 AM   #18
Site Team

I thought long and hard about getting another van but beside the RV specific work done to Hal I've already replaced almost everything else except the motor, power steering pump, master cylinder and AC compressor. It's almost like a newer van.

Asked my regular mechanic this AM and was directed to a local shop that does engine swaps. Was quoted labor of $760. Tried for a Jasper engine but they don't make them for my year. Only 2001 and newer. Going with a Spartan reman which is the Advance Auto house brand. I've only found a few things on-line about them and I've got my doubts. Shop owner swears by them. $2600 for the engine. None in stock so they have to build it. A 2 week build time. Thanks to the heads-up from Carringb I asked about the core damage. He said it's probably an extra $200.
I told him to get the wheels in motion. Will let you know how it goes. Maybe I can get some pictures.

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 05-14-2014, 07:19 PM   #19

"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:57 PM   #20
Site Team

Shop called a couple days ago. Engine has been built and was being shipped. Should be here Friday. Next I'll have to figure out how to get my usual number of pics of the operation.

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG