Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2022, 07:25 AM   #11

Orv, Mobil stations in California still have the B20 20% biodiesel mix, although I couldn't find any information about it on their website.

Old 02-25-2022, 08:17 AM   #12
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Just as a side note to the B-blends, I try to fill up at a Love’s when on the road, many locations have their bio blend, up to 20%

https://www.loves.com/en/location-and-fuel-price-search
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 09:01 PM   #13

I first noticed the 76 "renewable" diesel at one of the local 76 stations 2 summers ago and have been running it in our 7.3 ever since. Initially there were only a couple of stations around that carried the "renewable" diesel but I've noticed more and more 76 stations in my area carrying "renewable". I've seen it offered at multiple stations in the greater Sacramento area where I live. I have yet to see it outside of California.

In my experience, it has made a huge difference in reducing the cabin noise and the van seems to run smoother overall. I've also noticed improvements in both fuel economy and cold starting. It will take a couple of tanks to really appreciate the difference. After running 400-500 gallons of 76"renewable" over the past 2 years, I won't run anything else unless I have to. Over the past 2 summers we've taken road trips out of state and were reminded just how loud the 7.3 can be when we had to use regular diesel!
RVRRNNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 05:56 AM   #14
Site Team

My only questions are if there might be any long term effect on any fuel system seals, if there's any effect on the longevity of the injectors, and how the lubricity compares against regular diesel.

I'm not saying I'm against this diesel, but I have too much money in my rig to go to something new without some insight.

Herb
BroncoHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 10:16 AM   #15

R99 in Sprinter

Recently I became aware of the 76 R99 diesel option. I did some extensive reading on the product and found no negative info regarding this fuel. I decided to try it in my 3.0 V6 and was surprised the vehicle ran a little smoother and added pep. Not earth type chattering change but a subtle change for the better.

Now for the bad news. I tried several 76 stations here in SoCal. I got tired of waiting for the pump to complete the fill-up. It would pump very slowly. When I complained to my local 76 station, his response was cold weather. This was the case at every station I filled up at. The average temperature during filling was 60-70°, surely not freezing. I found several stations with dirty equipment, and now don't go out of my way for R99. From what I have read R99 is not affected by cold weather with gelling like other diesel fuels.
Just my 2 cents...
Sloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 11:45 AM   #16

Currently running B99 in my 6.0 Powerstroke, it got a bit quieter but it alwasy does when i use Biodiesel B20 as well.
Only concern may be how much this new diesel will dissolve the old crud in the system, I have notice that B20 is very good on lubricity and keeping the systems cleaner, works like solvent to remove the old crud, I usually get in around Lost Hills I5 at a fair price, locally only 76 carries the B99 which so far has been great, have not recorded yet any improvement in MPG's but will check when it comes time to fill the tank again.
jquevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 11:53 AM   #17

Hi All,
Yes! I’ve had same reduced db experience. Someone turned me onto Propel Fuels Diesel HPR. Cheaper, better, quieter!
There is even an App to find stations that have it. Very helpful. Just search Propel Fuel in App Store (apple).
Been running it in E-350 7.3L. Seems great.
https://propelfuels.com/our_fuels?active=diesel
Tookmyhandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 12:38 PM   #18

My 2cents. I have had several bad experiences with Bio D from 76. This is not a good product for vehicles that sit as my 7.3 does. I learned this with my Ford Backhoe. It gummed up the tank, fuel lines and pump resulting insufficient monetary loss of cost benefit. I have experienced jelling in many of our loaders , 4 yds and 10yd dumps not to mention in our above ground storage tanks. It is each ones choice but not for me but maybe for thee. Renewable is fine and dandy but when we start fully relying on farming to produce it it increases food cost and starvation along with transportation cost. Again my 2cents.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 01:20 PM   #19

Agree with the gelling of Diesel, whenever I'm expecting lower temperatures like going skiing, I avoid the use of Biodiesel, will do the same with B99.
I usually add cold flow from Amsoil when the forecast predicts low temperatures..
That is where the good old fossil fuel is better than some of the other blends.
jquevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 01:54 PM   #20

Yes was wondering about gelling etc esp in cold temps. I’m in CA but do hit the mountains regularly in ski season. So thanks for this perspective. There is no magic bullet.
And yes concur that if pushing for more Bio approaches to fossil fuels it’s not really helping the overall picture. V curious what the next decade presents re big rig electric. It’s obv not practical rt now for vanlife types….but where is the Tesla Semi we’ve been reading about for a while??
Ok different thread. Thx for feedback on Bio fuels.
Tookmyhandle is offline   Reply With Quote