Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2022, 09:49 AM   #21

Garage
This thread has drifted a bit and you guys seem to be using the terms R99 and B99 interchangeably, which is incorrect as they are drastically different fuels. Yes, B99 has much difficulty in low temps, will clean out your fuel system like Metamucil will clean out your colon, is known to cause issues with older fuel lines and seals, tends to provide lower MPG and has a short storage life. R99 however is not prone to any of these issues. R99 is a biofuel made from plant based oils but it IS NOT Biodiesel. I use both B20 as well as R99 and have used B20 for many, many years. These fuels (B99/R99) are different, please be aware of that when reading here.

Glenn P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 10:38 AM   #22

While not trying to sound like a conspiracy cuck there are many warnings from Mercedes themselves to not use any fuel higher than B5. The use of B20 can do serious damage to the motor not covered on warranty. It further states fuel filter life is shortened. Even more, extended idleness is not good and when started up can cause internal damage. "The farm fuel is not so friendly with seals, metallic compositions (head gaskets, exhaust seals) in the fuel system, including corrosive damage to injectors.
Here's the catch, R99 while being a blend, is still made from vegetable oil and animal fats, municiple waste ect. Telling me it will not separate is a farce, it happened to me twice, so no thank you.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 10:45 AM   #23

Had a chance yesterday to give the R99 a tryout. A 76 station in Santa Cruz, CA has it. Price was cheaper than the surrounding traditional fueling stations but more expensive than the Costco diesel nearby. Added 31.5 gals to the 41 gal tank which was the last of a Costco diesel fill up. So 75% R99. Air temperatures in the 50's and 60's so no cold weather issues right now.

My first impression was when I returned the nozzle to the pump and had the dreaded diesel fuel on the hands moment. What blew me away was there was NO typical diesel smell, in fact it was nearly odorless. My hands cleaned up with a wipe and no residual smells. That was really good!

Second impression was starting up and idling. 1derGirl who hates the smell of traditional diesel fuel and exhaust commented she was not smelling any annoying fumes. This is good!

Third impression was driving - Seemed a bit smoother and quieter but I need to give this aspect more time / miles. I usually find the engine seems smoother and quieter after any fill-up. I would also like to see if the mpg numbers change much.
Old 02-28-2022, 01:59 PM   #24

Fortunately as an ex-owner operator and now responsible for hundreds of equipment, half being diesel, the smell of diesel is part of my menu. I look at immediate savings not being worth long term damage and cost but that's my opinion. For those that can't take the smell of diesel and don't want the advantages of diesel they can always get a gas/cng/ev. There is no right or wrong just know that there is documented cases of mechanical njury as listed in many magazine articles like Goodsam RV.
Old 02-28-2022, 05:31 PM   #25

As Glenn P stated, there seems to be confusion between BioDiesel and Renewable diesel. Trying to compare Biodiesel and Renewable diesel is like trying to compare the 6.0 powerstroke to the 7.3 powerstroke. Each have their own pros and cons, but they are NOT the same.

I did extensive research on Renewable diesel before putting it into my 7.3 van. Compared to petroleum based diesel, Renewable diesel has a higher cetane rating, lower cloud point, similar lubricity and better cold flow properties.

Here is a link that I think would be helpful for everyone. It explains the refining process as well as fuel properties between petrodiesel, biodiesel and renewable diesel.

https://advancedbiofuelsusa.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/11-0307-Biodiesel-vs-Renewable_Final-_3_-JJY-formatting-FINAL.pdf[/URL]
RVRRNNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 05:35 PM   #26

Sorry, that link didn't seem to work. Try this

https://advancedbiofuelsusa.info/wp-...ting-FINAL.pdf
RVRRNNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 11:09 AM   #27

Thanks for sharing the link for all to be able to make their own decision. I was already aware of that link and several others as well. There are many pro and con links available. Each argues in their favor. The fact still stands that it is a plant based product that at low temps needs additives to keep from gellying which also means it will separate if left idle for extended periods, as my backhoe experienced and now my Cat powered diesel pusher of which I will have to have the HEUI pump rebuilt again. By no means am I trying to suggest not to use it. I think it is an extremely capable alternative for everyday use. Local Truckers and some over the road trucks in some cases never shut their motors down across country and in cold states. I don't want to worry about having to remember if I filled up with R99 or petro diesel next time I park my van and it sits for a week or two. Been there done that.
Old 03-04-2022, 02:58 PM   #28

Garage
To be fair Vanimal, in cold climates all diesel has additives to keep it from gelling. Diesel #2 is good to about 20F, while the station may not say it, in colder climates the fuel is winterized to some degree. Of course you have Diesel #1 and of course Kerosene for the super cold environments. Additives and blending is nothing new. I do agree with you however that in cold climates I definitely am not in favor of any Biodiesel and I don't know enough from real world experience yet to have an opinion on R99. That said, they are now making a renewable jet fuel and that has to be able to handle damn cold temps so the ability is out there, love some input from those that have run R99 specifically in cold climates. Of course being in SoCal, my cold weather experience is rather limited, but I do travel to the cold climates occasionally.
Old 05-31-2022, 10:50 AM   #29

Garage
I wanted to add a little note here about my experience with R99. I still use it rather frequently in both my 7.3L and 6.0. While traveling in the 7.3L with my girlfriend who knows absolutely nothing mechanical at all but she can hear and sense the smallest rattle, vibration or even smell imaginable, I swear she is part bloodhound. I asked her if she noticed anything different about the truck as we were driving down the highway. She of course pointed out that one of my cowl mounted lights was wiggling a bit but she also said the truck was quieter than usual. I didn't prompt her to come to that conclusion nor did I say anything about a different fuel at all. In addition to that, I am noticing a few more rattles in my truck coming from the bed, things I didn't hear before as the engine was louder. So I can say my observations from using R99 are as follows, It doesn't foam when filling up, it doesn't stink like diesel when you get a little on you when filling, your truck will run quieter and lastly, you will discover other rattles and vibrations that the engine sound used to cover up!
Old 05-31-2022, 01:22 PM   #30

Glen,
Funny you posted this.
My wife said the exact same thing about the quieter ride on our first trip running R99 fuel. In addition to my observation after several tanks of R99, I to noticed no foaming. This makes filling up a one stop action, whereas before it would take several start and stops to top off the tank.

I wear hearing aids behind the ears and now hearing noises I never did before. I am now chasing them down to bring co.fort to my ears.

Thanks for raising this, I feel better now.!

Sam
Sloya is offline   Reply With Quote