Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2017, 11:37 AM   #1

Garage
V10 2v Exhaust

I originally installed a Magnaflow 13743 7" OD case size 3" tube inlet/outlet muffler on my V10 setup primarily for ground clearance. That muffler was quite loud and had a rather unpleasant note in the 55mph range. Fast forward 2 years and thousands of miles offroad and that muffler was no longer structurally sound. Turns out the stainless they use is not capable of withstanding the salty elements for very long without issues. I credit this quick failure to too many trips across Soda Lake (Mojave Road near Baker) in wet/muddy conditions. The lake bed is extremely salty and ruins most everything it contacts.

This week I replaced the Magnaflow with a Flowmaster 70 Series big block (PN 53070) muffler. This swap was based on several reasons, but again mostly centered around ground clearance. There was one weekend in between the swap when we took it out and ran a large part of the race course in the Barstow area. The stock muffler actually dragged on the ground in the ruts from the trucks many times and that was enough to make sure we replaced it immediately with another aftermarket unit.

The Flowmaster install was a piece of cake for my application, but I did already have the rear hanger fabbed up and I don't run a tail pipe. The 70 series is a nice combination of mild sound, ground clearance and improved throttle response. It is a large and heavy muffler, but the quality seems nice and the fitment off the stock muffler inlet tubing is perfect. It is just aluminized steel, but since the install was so easy replacing it in the future is no big deal. Highly recommended for those in the market.

Don't hesitate to ask questions on the setup and sound as there is relatively no info available for the E-Series platform.

reference links:
https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=13743

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/70-series/

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
18839153_1581199725245538_6043410546366863683_n.jpg  

REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:23 AM   #2

I'd love to see/hear a vid of the sound. How is the highway drone? My experiment was a failure. I hate it. Sound like a straight six and the drone is annoying. It's a POS brand. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:35 AM   #3

Garage
mangaflow isn't garbage. overpriced, but not garbage. you just need to understand that different motors put out different noise. some brands of mufflers just don't jive with some engine noise. flowmasters behind a mustang 5l is music to the ears, that same flowmaster on a honda sounds like absolute garbage. theres a science to piecing together custom exhausts. imho, chambered mufflers like flowmaster work better on high piston count motors, where baffled mufflers like magnaflow sound better on lower piston count motors and motorcycles. theres also other factors like inline resonators, crossover pipes, etc.

theres a LOT more to making an exhaust sound good then just putting a random muffer on the end of your exhaust
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:06 AM   #4

+1 I'd appreciate a sound clip as well.

This might be the largest ICE I'll ever own, part of me keeps thinking it might as well be capable of making some noise. My current theory is keeping the stock muffler, but putting a solenoid cutout post cat into a medium resonator. Not 100% carb compliant, but close enough...

Doing the sports-exhaust conversion is pretty low priority. OTOH It might be worth the grins...

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:27 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I'd love to see/hear a vid of the sound. How is the highway drone? My experiment was a failure. I hate it. Sound like a straight six and the drone is annoying. It's a POS brand. [emoji16]

My experience so far shows very low undesirable frequency for freeway cruising speeds compared to the Magnaflow. The sound is deeper around town and a lot less "tinny" or V6 sounding. In the end I am satisfied with the Flowmaster muffler on my setup as it fulfills the requirement of additional ground clearance, throttle response and mellow tone. I will say that driving with the stock exhaust in between the two aftermarket units makes the van feel very sluggish and completely different. The freer-flowing exhaust really wakes up the drivetrain and makes for a very fun experience.

I will try to get a sound clip put together.

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:57 PM   #6

Thanks Scott. Good stuff.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:47 PM   #7

All, I am on my second SMB and what worked best for me on both was to install JBA Headers, a "Y" cat back connector to 3" tubing through a standard muffler then a resonator. I got 70 lbs more torque, 2.5 mpg improvement, and no highway speed exhaust noise. Go to my album to see pictures of the headers and exhaust set up.
BillPa1
BillPa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:29 PM   #8

Curious about these JBA headers? Also, is there space to run dual pipes out? I have a 2014 van with the v10.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:23 PM   #9

Garage
Prally - is your van 4wd yet? If so, running dual pipes would be difficult because of the transfercase on the drivers side.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:40 AM   #10

Oh yes, I am 4x4 already. I suppose a single pipe would have to suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
Prally - is your van 4wd yet? If so, running dual pipes would be difficult because of the transfercase on the drivers side.