Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2019, 12:32 AM   #21

My van came with a Ford remanufactured engine in it. As far as I've been able to tell that happened closer to when I bought it than when it was new. It's prior life as we news van suggests that it might have been driven harder than even an ambulance, so I didn't put too much weight into it having been called into question sufficiently to be replace once already.

Part of my reasoning at the time for buying the v10 (over the vastly more torque producing, more fuel efficient and "clean" diesel) was that swapping the entire engine out, if it came to that, was economically reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
IF I were to ever buy another 5.4 or 6.8 Ford engine I'd DIY an actual oil pressure test which is relatively easy to do. That single test would be a major deciding factor whether to buy or not that particular van. If it would affect the price downward to compensate for a replacement engine then I may still buy such a van, if the body/chassis were in good enough condition to warrant that sort of time and money expenditure.
Agreed. It's up there with a compression test, and far easier to do.

I actually hooked up a cheap aftermarket oil pressure gauge a couple of years into owning the van, shortly after some of my other automotive experiences forced me to understand how to interpret what such a reading is telling you. I was a bit concerned about what I would find initially, but it turns out that my v10 is in good shape so far.

Other things to look for are any irregularities in oil pressure. A bouncing oil pressure gauge needle can indicate that one or more bearings are on their way out, and will show up sooner than an outright low oil pressure.

Also, while you can make some guesses on oil temp based on water temp and cylinder head temp, it's a separate reading, and if you don't want to be guessing while interpreting oil pressure, it's easiest to just get the oil temp as well. Yes, you can guess pretty closely, but installing an oil temp gauge took that guess work out of it.

Not that any of this is really required, but observing and trying to understand what's really happening inside whatever engine I'm using is part of how I pass the time while driving.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:05 AM   #22
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
My van came with a Ford remanufactured engine in it. As far as I've been able to tell that happened closer to when I bought it than when it was new. It's prior life as we news van suggests that it might have been driven harder than even an ambulance, so I didn't put too much weight into it having been called into question sufficiently to be replace once already.
My own "new" van had its transmission replaced while it was fairly new, covered under Ford's vehicle warranty. So yeah its not uncommon for typically trouble-free assemblies have issues now and again--its part and parcel to making so many of them.

Quote:

Other things to look for are any irregularities in oil pressure. A bouncing oil pressure gauge needle can indicate that one or more bearings are on their way out, and will show up sooner than an outright low oil pressure.

Also, while you can make some guesses on oil temp based on water temp...... installing an oil temp gauge took that guess work out of it.

Not that any of this is really required, but observing and trying to understand what's really happening inside whatever engine I'm using is part of how I pass the time while driving.
Agreed on all those points---I've not yet added an oil temp gauge but that might get more consideration as time goes on. I didn't go cheap when adding a coolant temp and oil pressure gauge---used Auto Meter GS series of DC stepper motor electric gauges. I'd hate having either of those gauges having pressure lines inside the cabin. That's not only a bit dangerous but from past experience the connections are prone to loosen up over time and begin leaking---not a good thing.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 01:42 PM   #23

Garage
I use an Edge Insight to monitor things on my E-350 and my Dodge 2500. I don't run programs on my rigs, but getting good data while driving is important to me.

https://edgeproducts.com/insight/

Edge is not the only game in town that sells systems like this.

They feed you a lot of data. I never tow or go on a long trip without one.
Sboring35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:08 PM   #24
Orv

Garage
Quote:
I actually hooked up a cheap aftermarket oil pressure gauge a couple of years into owning the van, shortly after some of my other automotive experiences forced me to understand how to interpret what such a reading is telling you. I was a bit concerned about what I would find initially, but it turns out that my v10 is in good shape so far.
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know when Ford switched from using an actual pressure sender to the placebo version where they hooked the gauge up to a switch and a resistor?
Old 08-12-2019, 05:56 AM   #25
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know when Ford switched from using an actual pressure sender to the placebo version where they hooked the gauge up to a switch and a resistor?
Its been so long ago I've forgotten when that change came to be. I would guess somewhere in the early 1970's.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:46 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Factory ford reman is the way to go.

V10 failures are very rare, and every one I've seen was due to oil pressure issues from low grade oil. (Synthetic blend at a min is required, and conventional oil will lose viscosity before the next scheduled oil change unless intervals are shortened)

The best reman is from Ford. Any ASE shop can install it, and the 3 year warranty unlimited miles, will be honored at any ford dealer.

It should run about $6,500 installed.
Good info for a stressed Van brother Carringb. Glad you could give him some light. I agree V10 even though once in a great while you throw a plug (not a big deal) is a very good motor. Most live well into the 300K even after harsh commercial fleet abuse.
As far as external gauges, believe me I agree. You can never have enough info whether an electronic unit or just plan old mechanical ones. I run trans & oil temp. Oil pressure, Voltmeter, turbo boost (7.3 diesel), tachometer, exhaust temp and monitor them as much as my mirrors.
$6500.00 installed seems like a really fair price with the warranty even better. Do not lose hope STRANDED IN VEGAS we are all betting if you take $10.00 and hit the slots you may come out ahead! Good luck! We are sending you the magic touch!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:30 PM   #27
Orv

Garage
Quote:
Its been so long ago I've forgotten when that change came to be. I would guess somewhere in the early 1970's.

Definitely later than that. I had a 1990 Club Wagon that had a proper oil pressure gauge -- I could tell because it would read differently depending on engine speed and temperature. But my current 1990 E250 has a gauge that reads suspiciously consistently so I'm wondering if that was a crossover year.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:43 AM   #28
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post
Definitely later than that. I had a 1990 Club Wagon that had a proper oil pressure gauge -- I could tell because it would read differently depending on engine speed and temperature. But my current 1990 E250 has a gauge that reads suspiciously consistently so I'm wondering if that was a crossover year.
I wonder if this wasn't as much dependent on the manufacturer rather than the year?

Wracking my brain for what I've owned where OP indicated was actual and not just an idiot light---all for naught I have to say.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:24 PM   #29

Quote:
I wonder if this wasn't as much dependent on the manufacturer rather than the year?

Wracking my brain for what I've owned where OP indicated was actual and not just an idiot light---all for naught I have to say.
Orv Is referencing two Ford truck/vans from 1990 though.

There certainly are new vehicles today that have proper oil pressure gauges, but they tend to be up-market. There you're either dealing with an educated enthusiast customer, or a luxury situation, where the service folks can take the time to reasonably explain what a customer is seeing to them.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:27 PM   #30

Don't they build in a pretty large deadband into the temp/oil gauges so people don't freak out when they move a little? That would explain why it gets to an operating level and just stays there, which would be more switch-like, but it's still data from an actual sensor. It was something in the land cruiser crowd we often reversed so we could see what was actually going on.
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote