Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2019, 06:47 AM   #1

Garage
V10 engine experts - blown engine in LV (facebook)

Morning everyone.

...didn't see this posted elsewhere, so hope this isn't a duplicate post...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/6302...7136401619961/

We were having an amazing vancation in Cali but driving back to Colorado we broke down about 80 miles west of Vegas and had to get towed. $700...a lot but fair in reality. Van is at Ford dealer. We will see what the damage is. Threw a check engine and emissions light - no warning, lost power and died. It starts but has a super loud tick. I have a V10 with 80k miles. Was running great. Could have overheated but no signs of that. Last pic is the end of this part of the trip. #stuckinVegas.

Feeling depressed - blown motor. Have no idea how pre-purchase inspection didn't indicate something and our mechanic who has gone through it several times. $10500. Should I replace it here in Vegas or ship it back to Colorado? We will replace the motor - only 80k miles. I don't get it. But wife wants to sell it after replaced. She can't handke the stress of it and I don't blame her.

I browse FB about once a month, and saw this morning that a sportsmobile with a v10 broke east of LV, was towed back to LV, and a shop/dealer determined it blew a rod/rod bearing. A couple of questions for the group:

1. Anyone know a quality LV mechanic? Gil's Automotive (from an older thread)??? The Owner said it's about $1500 to ship back to Denver from LV.

2. Who makes a quality rebuilt V10?

3. Would a used vehicle with low miles be worthwhile to swap engines?

Will post the answers to FB.
Thanks SMB forum!
Regards.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:43 AM   #2

Factory ford reman is the way to go.

V10 failures are very rare, and every one I've seen was due to oil pressure issues from low grade oil. (Synthetic blend at a min is required, and conventional oil will lose viscosity before the next scheduled oil change unless intervals are shortened)

The best reman is from Ford. Any ASE shop can install it, and the 3 year warranty unlimited miles, will be honored at any ford dealer.

It should run about $6,500 installed.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Factory ford reman is the way to go.

It should run about $6,500 installed.

carringb: Just curious, roughly how much are the Ford Reman engines...excluding labor.... for the V8/V10 5.4/6.8L?

..assuming we are talking short blocks here....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
carringb: Just curious, roughly how much are the Ford Reman engines...excluding labor.... for the V8/V10 5.4/6.8L?

..assuming we are talking short blocks here....
Ford doesn't sell short blocks. You'd have to go Jasper or Portland Engine Rebuilders for that.

The V10 replacement motor from Ford is $3,500 retail. The V8 is $3,000. But this is a complete motor, minus intake. So you save quite a bit of labor vs a short block.

When I took my van in, I was only planning on having one cylinder head pulled and reconditioned, but since book labor included pulling the motor for that job, the new complete motors was only a little more.

Also, they have no restrictions on core condition, unlike most of the rebuilders.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:06 PM   #5

Wow, good to know that I can get a reman'd V10 from Ford for $3,500.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:53 PM   #6

I checked out the 5 dealerships around me for a reman'd 5.4. Anywhere from $3300 to $3800 depending on dealer. Still, a local rebuilder is going to be very similar in price, without unknowns thrown in like needing a crank or rods. The factory rebuilt one is looking like the best bet. And I like that warranty.

In my vans case, as it was a fleet vehicle, I am assuming they didn't use quality anything even though it has service records indicating it had regular service. For example, the off brand trans filter fell off when I removed the pan. Remembering back to my first oil change with this van, the oil filter was a generic non branded white can. Given those two discoveries, why would I assume the oil was any better.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:11 PM   #7

Thanks for the comments. This is my van. I posted the note on Facebook. I've received 6 quotes and so far $8500 is the lowest for an install of a Ford motor. Everything else has been higher (including for Ford, Jasper, and other motors). The Ford dealers range from $8500 to $10,300. Independent mechanics are $9500 to $10,500+. Have not found anyone for less. Unclear why it spun a bearing at 81K miles. We've only owned it for 6k. Prior owner gave me the service records and it was well maintained. We had it inspected prior to buying and then immediately had all fluids in the van changed. So we were bummed this happened as we've been loving this van. Oh well...we decided to ship it back from Vegas and have it fixed in Denver. Fortunately, my insurance will actually cover most of the shipping and will reimburse me for the two cost.
Dbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:57 AM   #8
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
So sorry about the crapola' you had to go through...BUT, it now seems you will have a van that will last many, many more miles of fun adventures with a maintenance schedule that will be followed by an owner who cares about the investment...good luck! Keep us posted!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:14 AM   #9
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Add me to those advising a Ford reman'd engine is the best way to go. I paid just over $2800 out the door for my 5.4, purchased new stainless steel exhaust studs, nuts and washers to avoid any issues with those later on. The motor arrived filled with the proper oil, intake and exhaust gaskets, a new oil filter adapter and oil cooler. There was an $800 no-fault core charge---as long as you return something in their very cool shipping box your money is refunded.

The weak link in buying from Ford is how any warranty issues are handled---dealerships are very resistant towards working on one of their own brands engines they did not install. Additionally I've spoken to several service writers who had almost no knowledge Ford sells reman'd engines or that they have warranty guarantees.

I could go on for quite a while about issues I've had with issues encountered with a Ford reman'd 5.4 that replaced another 5.4 with just over 143K miles due extremely low oil pressure--holding barely 8 PSI at hot idle. Ford is the best choice IMHO but dealing through or with their pitiful dealership is a potential nightmare.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Ford is the best choice IMHO but dealing through or with their pitiful dealership is a potential nightmare.
Unfortunately, this pretty much describes Ford in most situations....