Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2013, 12:41 AM   #21

Re: Vacuum Pump

This is what fulthrotl did to back up his vacuum pump. He added this pump http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-760150/
and this tank http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1460/
It seams like a good back-up plan. Has anyone else done this?

jwintersteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #22

jwintersteller: Thanks! I never knew that aftermarket pumps like that existed.

Eventually I want to install an electric vacuum pump to operate my ESOF hubs which are on a 4x4 front axle from a 2007 F250/F350. The 4x4 converter hooked up my hub vacuum switch to the serpentine belt driven oem brake vacuum pump -- which increases vacuum with engine rpm. In contrast the 2007 oem electric vacuum pump for the hubs when switched on gives a large pulse of vacuum to suck in the hubs to lock, then keeps them locked with a constant but low vacuum.

Contrast the uncontrolled vacuum of the mechanical vacuum pump on the serpentine belt which within 2 1/2 years after the conversion sucked the hubs so hard that it broke the plastic retainer tabs off the hubs such that they wouldn't unlock even manually. I have since replaced the hubs again with new oem ESOF hubs but have disconnected the vacuum to them and use them only manually for the time being.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #23

Vacuum Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle
I did not get a check engine light.

I had pulled into a rest stop, all was fine, went to pull out and noticed A/C was not blowing through the vents. As I was backing out the brake pedal was rock solid and not slowing the van very quickly. The pedal then got soft again and I cautiously moved on. At the next stop the pedal was solid again and took me basically standing on the pedal to slow down and stop.
Sounds exactly how my failure happened in 2011, except I was far from home (in TN from NY) on a holiday weekend. Mechanic said it would be at least 3 days just to get the part.

I eventually got it fixed and I believe it was $400-$500.
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #24

Garage

Vacuum pump replaced - $450. Mechanic also recommended replacing the upper and lower turbo CAC boots since they were leaking a little bit. Have some spares now just in case. GO 6.0 GO!