Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2010, 08:26 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon
Re: VAN IS DYING---HELP!

Sticking injectors?
Bill

Old 07-08-2010, 09:59 AM   #12

I know you said the fuel pressure was verified, but was it checked under load? You could have a mostly plugged fuel inlet allowing enough fuel for idle, but not enough under load.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #13

change the fuel filter..drain the water sepperator...

then...head to www.oilburners.net and do some reading...you might be loosing the turbo or the injection pump might be failing..

85 E250 Turbo 6.9 vegiburner
92 explorer (well the vin tag and body skins are anyway)
09 jeep wrangler unlimted...for walmart wheelin!!

nothing scares my wife like my boredom and a welder!!
wanderer351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:01 PM   #14

After nearly $2000 invested in repairs, the problem is not fixed. Need some advice. Fuel system has been gone through. Tanks dropped, filters cleaned, new pump, pressures verified at idle and under load, lines blown, fuel inertia switch OK. Injector tests done and one injector replaced, including new o-rings on others. VSS replaced, CPS replaced. At a loss. Thanks for any new info. Toby.
tortorelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:49 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

John suggested it might be an electrical problem. All the harnesses check good? I know the 6.0 has some history on that. I'll run it by our fleet guys....see what they say.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:26 AM   #16

Make sure that the fuel pump relay, and the fuse for the fuel pump located in the Power Distribution Box are okay. I actually saw a van that had been on the road for several months begin to have intermittent loss of power issues and when we looked in the Power Distribution Box we discovered that Ford had never installed the fuel pump relay.

It appeared that the manual high pressure pump was able to draw enough fuel out of the tank until the engine demanded more fuel (I believe this customer first experienced the problem while driving up a long grade). Since the low pressure, high volume electric pump was not working, the engine was starved for fuel under load. The problem progressively worsened, and I just happened upon the missing relay. Once the relay was installed, there were no more problems. I seem to remember using the horn relay, or one like it, as a substitute until a new relay could be installed.

It's been some time since this happened, and it could have been on a 6.0L, but it's easy enough to check.

The other item I've seen is the interior of the factory Ford fuel tank de-laminating and causing similar issues, but I think you indicated that both tanks have been dropped and cleaned.

I hope this helps!

John K.
John Kalmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:27 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage

To add to Johns post I also was told if that particular relay is clicking the same problem can occur. Sometimes they have a poor connection or just fail

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:13 PM   #18

Have you ever talked to BD Performance in Abbotsford BC? They are the local go to guys around here. They are only about 45 minutes from Bellingham. I think they could help you. My experience with Large Diesels has taught me that you can find any problem on a Dyno. They have one.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:00 PM   #19

Thanks for the responses. That is the 2nd reference to BD Performance I have had, so I will get it to them if this continues. The shop that I have it at said they want to stick with me to get this figured out and wont charge me any more. We will see. It is back to the fuel delivery system, and I drove around with the shop guy with a gauge on the fuel rail with the doghouse off. Pretty loud! The gauge was showing 60 Psi and would drop to 0 and stay there if the pedal was down to the floor. Next, the tanks were eliminated and a dummy tank was run from the suction side of the lift pump. Test drive showed no loss of pressure. The tank screens and draw tube are figured to be the culprit. The tanks have already been dropped and lines/screens blown, so it seems like we have been here before... They are planning on removing the screens and putting an in-line filter prior to the lift pump. Any problems with this? To replace the factory assembly, Ford wants $600 for the part. This is why they want to retrofit it...
tortorelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:15 PM   #20

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortorelli
Thanks for the responses. That is the 2nd reference to BD Performance I have had, so I will get it to them if this continues. The shop that I have it at said they want to stick with me to get this figured out and wont charge me any more. We will see. It is back to the fuel delivery system, and I drove around with the shop guy with a gauge on the fuel rail with the doghouse off. Pretty loud! The gauge was showing 60 Psi and would drop to 0 and stay there if the pedal was down to the floor. Next, the tanks were eliminated and a dummy tank was run from the suction side of the lift pump. Test drive showed no loss of pressure. The tank screens and draw tube are figured to be the culprit. The tanks have already been dropped and lines/screens blown, so it seems like we have been here before... They are planning on removing the screens and putting an in-line filter prior to the lift pump. Any problems with this? To replace the factory assembly, Ford wants $600 for the part. This is why they want to retrofit it...
Collapsing fuel line? Sometimes the inner layer can delaminate--especially if something like biodiesel is used that may attack the fuel lines.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote