Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #21
Site Team

Garage
Re: Warning! 6.0L cooling cap

Same here. Not worth the risk.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider
I have always enjoyed this guy and found his videos very helpful.

Anyone get the specific part number info?

Thanks
R
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... OLAMS_____

But that's probably not much good to you as they are like most other auto places and parts counters (ignoring NAPA) these days. You can't walk in with a part# or general part description, like "standard 30a automotive relay", got to give them a make/model/year/trim color/optional packages/paint color and probably vin before they can find that part#.

What bothered me is that cap has some pretty scathing reviews on the advanced autoparts web page. Every post/review was about a failure.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #23

Bought two in Advance Auto Parts store. Replaced the 6.0L, it came off like a milk jug cap. Didn't think anything of it until I pulled the F250 7.3L cap and it went *ssssssssssssttttthhhhhhhhhhuuuk* because even after 36 hours of sitting it still had plenty of seal and vacuum.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #24
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider
Anyone get the specific part number info?
Waked into Advanced AutoParts and bought one for a 2005 E350 6.0L and one for a 99 F250 7.3L- same part number. $10.56 out the door.
I also purchased the new Ford cap for just over 10 bucks. The Stant was about 6 bucks but it does not click to install ...I just don't want some tech to think the Stant is a Ford cap and mess up the tank threads. Plus I'm still under warrantee. I'll keep the Stant and see if it holds a better seal. The video made it sound like Ford's new cap was fine, just twice the price.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #25

My dealership charged $15 for the new cap. A bit expensive, but you could definitely see the difference from my old/original cap. It would've cost me more in gas to shop around for a less expensive one .

For those using the Scangauge, is FWT (Water/Coolant Temperature) the same thing as EOT (Engine Oil Temp)? I just programmed EOT into my gauge. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea
For those using the Scangauge, is FWT (Water/Coolant Temperature) the same thing as EOT (Engine Oil Temp)? I just programmed EOT into my gauge. Thanks.
Different, but related. If there's too much difference between the two (fully warm engine, level ground, constant speed), it's a good indication that the Ford oil cooler if plugging up and on it's way to failure.

Herb
Old 03-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea
Different, but related. If there's too much difference between the two (fully warm engine, level ground, constant speed), it's a good indication that the Ford oil cooler if plugging up and on it's way to failure.

Herb
Thanks Herb, however I completely screwed up my question. I meant to ask if FWT (Water/Coolant Temp) is the same as ECT (not EOT). So, does FWT = ECT?
Old 03-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #28
Site Team

Believe they're the same.

Herb
Old 03-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Believe they're the same.

Herb
Yep, they are.

It's kinda an interesting game to watch how they change depending on grade and speed. The deltas are on average less than 10 degrees so all that time I've spent getting scared on the diesel forums has been put to rest. I recently purchased a coolant filter and now I'm debating whether to put it on at all.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #30

I would put it on. The crap that is inside the filters I change is alarming. If it wasn't filtered out it would end up in the oil cooler or wearing out your water pump. The 6.0L's on commercial applications have coolant filters from the factory.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote