Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2008, 09:27 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
This suggests that the bypass filter was working to some extent.
Or that the one filter is better than stock, or that something about the AMSoil block makes the stock filter work better, or that FILTERS ARE ACTUALLY BETTER RUN BACKWARDS! (Somewhere a conspiracy theorist just got his wings)

What you should really do is cut the bypass filter in half and inspect the filter itself- I've known guys who do this regularly with their filters, but I have no idea how obvious it would be that it is or isn't working.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:48 PM   #92
Site Team

Garage
HA!
Yeah, plus I never did a sample when I did my long run with AMSOIL. I mean that oil only had less than 4K on it! But my mechanic (who is a friend) never found any metals on the magnet and the oil looked OK in his opinion. But maybe the lab in in with SMB

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:53 PM   #93
Site Team

A bit Off Topic, but related.

Anyone running an oil filter magnet? I've seen these down at Expedition Exchange, and they magnets are amazingly strong. I had a very difficult time removing one from an oil filter they had sitting around. I see they also have a similar product for (steel) transmission pans.

http://www.filtermag.com/products.php

Herb
Old 12-19-2008, 09:56 PM   #94

And for differentials!
Old 12-20-2008, 12:21 PM   #95

John of John and Dana really started something with this post. Excellent.

This forum worked extremely well to bring the issue quickly to the attention of SMB and owners. Hopefully no harm done. It's great to see SMB respond so quickly and with some humility. Kudos to Jim from Amsoil for stepping up too.

The ramifications could be huge. It gives Ford tremendous leverage to deny very expensive engine work on any diesel equipped with Amsoil, SMB built or not.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:51 AM   #96

amsoil

Does anyone know why the eao26 filter is not ok.. The reason I ask is I have 5 of them and it seems like a waste to not use them!

Thanks

Jeff
Old 12-23-2008, 11:01 AM   #97

Jeff, I hear that they are too restrictive. Call Jim at AMSOil and he'll give you more info.
I did my line swap and filter change this weekend. After 10 minutes, both bypass and Donaldson filters equally warm to the touch and the motor seems quieter.
armlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:12 AM   #98
Site Team

Re: amsoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by myriadmyriad
Does anyone know why the eao26 filter is not ok.. The reason I ask is I have 5 of them and it seems like a waste to not use them!

Thanks

Jeff
I've got my own little stockpile of both filters. Had to make the order with shipping worthwile.

Herb
Old 12-23-2008, 12:24 PM   #99

Filters

Thanks Herb

Ive been trying to Jim for three days.. He must be on vacation..

Jeff
Old 12-23-2008, 10:09 PM   #100
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by armlock
Jeff, I hear that they are too restrictive. Call Jim at AMSOil and he'll give you more info.
I did my line swap and filter change this weekend. After 10 minutes, both bypass and Donaldson filters equally warm to the touch and the motor seems quieter.
Jeff, Jim told me the same thing last summer about those filters being too restrictive. I just talked with Jim Friday. He says they are back ordered on the Donaldson but is trying to get me one. I have one of the 26 filters but don't really want to use it. I'm not sure when AMSOIL made the switch.

On another note I found some other info for everyone to think about. I took my vehicle into Ford, showed them the oil sample test and asked what they were going to do. Of course Ford did what they always do; NOTHING. I think they sniffed the oil and said there wasn't enough fuel in it to worry about, just the opposite of what the lab said which was I have an injector(s) going bad. I hate to dump oil with only 4K miles on it but I will trust the lab to be safe. I made a call to Jay Mento and he claims that we need to stick with Ford's recommendation about when to change the oil no matter what brand we use or they might void the warrantee. If I remember correctly that's every 7K on a diesel. I think testing is the key but Ford has screwed with me any time I had a problem and I’m not too sure I want to fight them on a major engine problem. So I think I’ll drain every 7K if that is what they require. I wonder about those who change their own oil? Can they turn you down if you have the lab check it every 5K miles? Has anybody put Ford to the test?
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote