Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2009, 05:27 PM   #131

Re: Warning to 6.0 PSD Owners with Amsoil System

daveb

I was looking for my book but can't find it. I will get the info and post it here. I would really like to know why he thinks its to restrictive and how he can tell unless he measures the delta p.

Greg

LanduytG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:53 PM   #132
Site Team

OK we need to get one, clear, consistent position on this issue.

I'm ready to go with this as my new Donaldson filters just showed up today, I have spare bypass filters, I have enough oil on hand for more than a full oil change, and I have a Blackstone oil sampling/analysis kit. I am going to reverse the lines, and I'm going to remove the restrictor, but now I'm second-guessing myself on the restrictor issue with all these conflicting opinions.

Has anyone gotten a response from SMBw on the restrictor?

Herb
Old 01-20-2009, 06:00 PM   #133

The restrictor is there so the bypass element will get some flow. The way the head is made if you don't have some restriction it will get very little flow. All you need to do is call Amsoil at 715-392-7107 and ask the tech. I think the new heads have changed internally but it still has to have something in it to create some restriction.

Greg
Old 01-20-2009, 06:08 PM   #134
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanduytG
The restrictor is there so the bypass element will get some flow. The way the head is made if you don't have some restriction it will get very little flow. All you need to do is call Amsoil at 715-392-7107 and ask the tech. I think the new heads have changed internally but it still has to have something in it to create some restriction.

Greg
OK, but (Amsoil)Jim is telling me to remove it, and says he has discussed, if not confirmed, that issue with the Amsoil tech.

Herb
Old 01-20-2009, 06:35 PM   #135

Garage

Yes, Jim from Amsoil told me to remove it. I gotta believe someone!

I don't get the 'restrictor provides better flow' concept, and I'm an engineer.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:38 PM   #136

OK, now tell me if the bypass element is first inline and no restriction is after it how is it going to get the proper flow. That is very simple engineering.

Greg
Old 01-20-2009, 06:49 PM   #137

OK, I sure could use a drawing showing the intended oil routing and how the flow of the two filters is designed to work. And maybe one showing how it would work (or not) when the lines are installed wrong. All this discussion of various routings and with and without valves has been too much for my brain to keep track of...
Old 01-20-2009, 08:04 PM   #138

We stopped by SMB West yesterday and had the lines reversed and the restrictor removed, no charge. I did pay to have them install two new filters even though the old ones only had 5k or so miles on them. All went well, and we were back on the road in a little over an hour.
Ralph

2006 Ford 6.0PSD EB-50/E-PH SMB S&K 4X4

11 RB150 MB Sprinter w/pop top
Burklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:56 PM   #139

I had started another thread last Saturday (AMSOil Restrictor Valve Removal) about the restrictor valve as I felt the decision to keep or remove it is a distinct topic from the reverse flow issue. A few people have viewed it but I feel it important that anyone discussing this topic should view it. It's in General / Technical too. As stated by others, if you remove it you are reducing your flow to the bypass filter by reducing the pressure in the inlet supply. Think about the path of least resistance. I proved this with a crude delta temerature test presented in the other thread. While switching the hoses I had completely removed and disassembled the filter head and tracked its flow passages in order to understand it and evaluate the reverse flow situation. I have now put the restrictor back in and will leave it in. I have a Mechanical Engineering degree (BSME) if that helps give any credence at all to my opinions.
Pat
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #140
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Today, I reversed the lines on my '07 RB-50, changed the two filters and removed the spring loaded restrictor. The restrictor is simply a reducer bushing that makes the ID for oil flow smaller, but not that much. The filter block oil passage ID is .60" and the ID of the restrictor is .30", so I'm getting better oil flow now, and in the correct direction. I doubt that will be a problem.
Jeffrey,

Since you changed the filters (are you using a Donaldson?) and removed the restrictor, next time you run the engine for 15 minutes or more, can you check to see if both filters are warm? That will tell me that even without the restrictor, that both filters are getting fairly significant oil flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanduytG
daveb

Jim was the original designer of the adapter. Then SMB refined it. Jim showed me the orginal at a direct jobbers convention in FL a few years ago.

Here is a link to the Donaldson catalog that tells about the filter that is being recommended by Jim. https://dynamic.donaldson.com/webc/WebS ... item=12291
If you look you can see it has the anti drain back valve and a built in pressure relief set at 18-20 psi.
I for one would be a very POed person if I had a new motor oil system hooked up backwards. The anti draw back is a check valve and even though it might have let some oil through it still bypassed a lot of it as well.

Greg
Greg,

If Jim was the original designer of the adapter, isn't he fairly well qualified to recommend removal of the restrictor?

Herb