Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2009, 05:38 PM   #181
Site Team

Re: Warning to 6.0 PSD Owners with Amsoil System

Thanks, I'm hoping to finally get to the oil/filter/restrictor issue tomorrow.

Herb

Old 02-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #182
Site Team

SMB stats
2006 Ford E350
6.0L diesel
39,500 miles
7500 miles since last Amsoil engine oil and filter change
15W-40 Heavy-Duty Diesel and Marine Motor Oil
Pre-change filters: EA026 full flow, and EABP100 bypass filter
Post-change filters: Donaldson 553411 full flow, and EABP100 bypass filter

Objectives:
1) Amsoil engine oil change
2) Change the full flow and bypass filters
3) Change from the EA026 filter to the Donaldson 553411 filter
4) Remove the restrictor in the filter head
5) Swap the oil lines leading to the filter head

Process followed:
1) Mark both installed filters with a silver Sharpie at four spots (1” from the base, 1” up from the bottom, a mid-point between the previous two point, and at the crown itself measured from underneath the filter). This would ensure that I measured the oil filter temperatures at the same location each time.

2) Mark a spot on the back of the oil pan, about midway between the bottom edge and the top of the oil pan. This would ensure that I measured the oil pan temperature at the same location each time.

3) Drive a minimum of 20 minutes at highway speeds to get the engine oil temperature up to full operating temperature (per Blackstone engine oil analysis recommendations).

4) Using a laser spot thermometer, measure the four spots on each filter, and one spot on the oil pan at my turn-around point just west of Santa Paula. [Diesel at $2.17 a gallon, same price as Regular gas]. This location was about 12-14 minutes from the house, with about 90% of the time on the freeway with the cruise control set at 65mph. Therefore the roundtrip was 22-28 minutes, primarily at highway speeds, broken up only long enough to hop out and take the temperature readings at the turn-around point. All temps taken with the engine still running.

5) Repeated temperature process after arriving at home, with the engine still running.

6) Turned off engine and took engine oil sample (through dipstick tube) with pump from Blackstone.

7) Proceeded to perform oil change, filter change, restrictor removal and oil line swap. Marked spots on the new filters using the same criteria.

8) Banged up my knuckles and bruised my wrist, made a small mess, hands are now sore, and my back is stiff.

9) With everything restored, took the same drive and same process as above, but with the changes as noted above. Oil filter and oil pan temperatures taken at turn-around point and back home.

10) Proper Scientific Method would have been to make one of the changes and repeat the process, then make another change and repeat the process,….etc, but I was far from that inspired. It was a long enough day as it was.

Some observations and recommendations:
The 2.5 gallon jug of Amsoil is great for saving money over the 1 quart bottles, but it is very heavy and awkward to hold and transfer the oil through a funnel into the engine.

The engine oil does retain it’s heat for quite some time, so be careful when doing this work.

The Allen head plug requires a 5/16” inch Allen wrench. This was not standard in my Allen wrench kit. I had to search around through my toolbox and some of my older Allen head wrench sets to find a large enough wrench.

Had to go out and buy a second 7/8” wrench for the oil line swap. An adjustable crescent wrench did not cut it.

Swapping the oil lines (at the filter head) was easier without the filter in place. The forward filter blocked access to the adapter installed in the filter head.

While attempting to loosen the one oil line, the adapter loosened well before the oil line. This is exactly what Jim Fleschner said not to do. It wasn’t intentional, but the oil line fitting did NOT want to budge. Swapping the lines is what caused most of the banged up knuckles and bruises on the wrist. As others have stated, when the lines let loose, it lets loose with a vengeance. BTW, one of the oil lines dripped maybe 1-2 drops of oil, the other one didn’t drip any oil at all. A pleasant surprise.

As I posted in another thread, when I removed each of the old filters, the rubber filter gasket remained in the filter head assembly. I did not notice this until I was attempting to reinstall each new filter (already filled with fresh oil). If I hadn’t noticed and removed the old rubber gaskets, I’m not sure what would have happened.

I used teflon tape on the oil lines, but not the Allen head plug.

I used a cheapie Harbor Freight laser spot thermometer (maybe $15). It seemed to be fairly consistent, though I did not check to see if it was accurate.

Removing the old oil filters resulted in unrecognizable, oil dripping, twisted pieces of metal. Do I just screw them on too tight? Limited access to the area around the filters doesn’t help (Extreme air compressor, transmission cross member, van frame…), but I was cursing up a storm trying to get the old filters off. I tried the chain type oil filter wrench, a plier style oil filter wrench and a strap style oil filter wrench (not necessarily in this order). I had the best luck with the plier style, but it makes a mess of the old filters. Has anyone tried the clamping wrenches that are on Amsoil’s website?

When I removed the oil pan plug, there was some debris on the plug magnet, but it wasn’t too substantial. I took a picture of it and will add it to this post at a later time. [edit: Photo added. OK, it actually looks really bad when you blow it up this large!]

The Blackstone oil analysis results will be added either to this post or a new post in this thread once I receive it. [edit: Blackstone oil analysis posted in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2665]

On the way to work this morning, I think that the MPGs were higher, but I do not track mileage (still got to get to where I'm going). This is anecdotal at best.

Conclusions: A cop-out, but please draw your own conclusions. This was not a scientific experiment. Clearly some combination of the changes I performed resulted in much more flow to the new oil filters, based upon the significantly higher temperatures of the filters themselves (compare the two "Back at home" columns that are bolded). The oil pan temperature did not change substantially, not that I expected it to change, but I think that can be tied to the residual heat of the first roundtrip along with the slightly higher ambient temperatures. These same factors are “probably” the source of the marginally higher transmission temperatures and maximum coolant temperatures.

Hope this helps,
Herb
Attached Thumbnails
Slide1.JPG  
Old 02-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #183

Herb ,
Thank you for your diligence and result's , I am still trying to find out at what the (Operating Temperatures)
of the 6.0 should be . Scatter and I have dealt with various issues with regard to cooling our engine's and some of these temperature's that you posted have made me more comfortable with the numbers that I am experiencing now that my clutch fan has been replaced and the Amsoil system has been corrected . I am particularly interested at your finding's for your Transmission Temperature's as I too am running the Mag Hytec
Transmission Pan and Amsoil Transmission Fluids . When I return from Louisville I am going to research and purchase one of the Laser Thermometer's that you used and perform similar tests under variable conditions .
Thank you again Herb
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:54 PM   #184
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggde
Herb ,
Thank you for your diligence and result's , I am still trying to find out at what the (Operating Temperatures)
of the 6.0 should be . Scatter and I have dealt with various issues with regard to cooling our engine's and some of these temperature's that you posted have made me more comfortable with the numbers that I am experiencing now that my clutch fan has been replaced and the Amsoil system has been corrected . I am particularly interested at your finding's for your Transmission Temperature's as I too am running the Mag Hytec
Transmission Pan and Amsoil Transmission Fluids . When I return from Louisville I am going to research and purchase one of the Laser Thermometer's that you used and perform similar tests under variable conditions .
Thank you again Herb
Greggde
Your welcome Greggde! That's the power of this and similar forums, sharing info.

FYI, the Trans temps and EGTs were from my X-monitor, and the Intake air and Max Coolant temp were from my Scanguage. I reset the maximums (X-monitor) and the Trip results (Scanguage) at each stop after recording the temps.

Here's a pic and a link of the Harbor Freight thermometer I used (wait for a sale or coupon), though they have others as well. It lists for $20. The real cheap one only goes to 230 degrees which doesn't give you much margin. I've also used this thermometer to check the hubs on my Bronco where I suspect I have a front axle bearing going out.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=93984

Herb
Old 02-23-2009, 01:14 PM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggde
Herb ,
Thank you again Herb
Greggde
I've driven about 2,500 miles since having the mag-hytec tranny pan installed. The guys at BBA put it on while doing a full oil/tranny fluid change and fixing all of the stuff with the amsoil bypass lines.

So far, it seems to have reduced my operating temps (via scangauge) by only 3-10deg. I used to cruise at about 160deg on the highway and now I'm at about 155deg. The temp drop when pulling long hills is closer to 10deg, but still nothing huge. Oh well, every degree reduction helps.
Rob
Old 02-23-2009, 01:30 PM   #186
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider
I've driven about 2,500 miles since having the mag-hytec tranny pan installed. The guys at BBA put it on while doing a full oil/tranny fluid change and fixing all of the stuff with the amsoil bypass lines.

So far, it seems to have reduced my operating temps (via scangauge) by only 3-10deg. I used to cruise at about 160deg on the highway and now I'm at about 155deg. The temp drop when pulling long hills is closer to 10deg, but still nothing huge. Oh well, every degree reduction helps.
Rob
The biggest difference (e.g. reduced temps) I notice with the Mag Hytec is when towing uphill. Additionally, I went with Amsoil trans fluid at the same time, and subjectively, I think the trans shifts smoother than before.

Herb
Old 02-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #187

Herb ,
It was at your suggestion that I installed the Mag Hytec , and I seemed to have reduced my Transmission temp's on average while pulling the Boats by ten degree's , I think that my transmission also seems to shift better and I noticed this immediately after the installation was completed . Thank you again Herb
Greggde
Old 02-23-2009, 03:45 PM   #188

I switched to amsoil full sythetic ATF too and no question the tranny shifts smoother.

Since I don't tow, my only stress comparison is climbing long grades, and as noted, the drop in temp is more significant under those conditions.

The mag-hytec pan is also a nice looking bit of bling on my otherwise boring SMB.

Rob
Old 02-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #189

Quote:
I switched to amsoil full sythetic ATF too and no question the tranny shifts smoother.
Ditto here, but did any of you find a slight presence of ATF odor that can get pulled in the vents now that you switched? As soon as I switched, I had ATF odor coming into the van pretty strong. I finally found that I had the transmission filled to the top of the dip stick marker, so I drained it down so it is now in the middle of the "hot zone". I still get a very faint ATF odor at times.

My ATF temp seems to be within the range most people talk about. The hottest I've seen it get is going up Old Priest Grade Road on the way to Yosemite. But the fan kicked in and brought it right back down.

I know .... off topic.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:52 PM   #190

Phil ,
I have never had any odor of any type in our SportsMobile , I just went out and checked and my ATF fluid level is right on the top mark of the indicator .
Greggde