Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2008, 08:25 PM   #31

I have a 2007 RB 50 6.0 also. Mine is also plumbed bassackwards. I'm very upset that such a neglent issue could occur. I purchased a diesel for it's longevity and expect at least 200k from the interrnal parts. This may constitute a class action suit. Why should SMB get away with nothing has happened yet suffice. What premature wear has already occurred?
I'm doccumenting all of it. SMB should be held accountable. What do you think would happen if our CHECKS were written with a minus sign to the amount. Would SMB just shrug it Off?

OLDBONESCLIMBER
2007 6.0 PSD RB50

Old 12-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #32

Should'nt the oil be sent to a 3rd party for testing rather than AMS oil?
Santa Barbara Ca
Jammyauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:48 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbonesclimber
I have a 2007 RB 50 6.0 also. Mine is also plumbed bassackwards. I'm very upset that such a neglent issue could occur. I purchased a diesel for it's longevity and expect at least 200k from the interrnal parts. This may constitute a class action suit. Why should SMB get away with nothing has happened yet suffice. What premature wear has already occurred?
I'm doccumenting all of it. SMB should be held accountable. What do you think would happen if our CHECKS were written with a minus sign to the amount. Would SMB just shrug it Off?

OLDBONESCLIMBER
2007 6.0 PSD RB50
I don't think there is any evidence to suggest that this oversight caused any problems. Heck, until this thread, we were all just happily driving our SMBs totally unaware of the situation. I'm not happy about the snafu, but I don't see what 'being accountable' should cause SMB to do for owners. If it were convenient, I'd have them switch the oil lines for me, but Fresno is 5 hours away so I'll do it myself.
R
Old 12-03-2008, 10:03 PM   #34
CJ

Send a message via Yahoo to CJ
Oh it.s currently being tested by an independent lab alright!

lets not make threats, just take your own actions and keep your own records of everything. But allow SMB the opportunity to take swift appropriate actions to remedy this unfortunate manufacturing/assembly deficiency.

I for one expect a detailed cause and corrective action to be taken, one that will correct the specific defect, preclude it from ever happening agin, determine if repair or replacement is necessary, replacement of specific items involved, and appropriate customer compensation. Maybe more depending on future outcomes.

The longer it takes to get the official word the worse it could get.

I learned a valuable lesson with the flat plate water heater. It cost me a few hundred dollars and a two days off of work. All for the lack of quality control in receiving inspection and lack of vendor controls and in my opinion unacceptable customer service by SMB West.

They are nice people at SMB west but enough is enough. The more I sit here the more I think it should not be acceptable to any of us and this forum is the place to speak out loud about all lack of quality control, assurance, reliability, and maintainability issues for these 60K + vehicles most of which are at the 100K+ value.

Some of us routinely use these vehicles to go to remote locations. The extreme oil related stress I just recently put mine through doing Mengel pass, parts of Pleasant Canyon, Swansea Cerro and Lippincott trails this past week makes me question......... the confidence I had and the life of my SMB.

They are fun However feel free to voice REALITY !

Old 12-04-2008, 06:13 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny

Again thanks to all the members who continue to provide valuable information and great stories/trip reports as the SMB community continues to grow and thrive!

Jonny
Johnny, thanks for taking the time to reply to let us know that SMB is still formulating a plan. I have high hopes that SMB will come back with a response that not only clarifies the situation as well as addresses any consumer discomfort due to the mix up. At the very least, let me just express my thanks in your participation on this matter.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:13 AM   #36

I, like many of the other SMB owners affected, also feel like there is an unknown and somewhat incalculable level of damage whether direct or indirect. Let me try to clarify. It's like car insurance. (which to me, the upgraded oil system was a measure of insurance that the expensive diesel upgrade would last the 15 years I plan to use the vehicle.)

So let's say I buy car insurance, but haven't had a wreck in three years. No problem, no worries. I haven't even been pulled over for a ticket, so at no point have I been forced to check my insurance statement.
One day, I happen to start investigating my coverage, and I find that my coverage is only for the absolute minimum, when I was under the impression that I had full coverage with replacement value yaddah yaddah due to the initial contract with the insurance company. If I had an initial contract with the insurance company saying that by paying $100 a month, I would have full coverage, when in fact they had only created a policy for minimum coverage. That would not be very good, and would indicate a lack of coverage this whole time.

Maybe this analogy is a little thin. It sounded good in my mind when I started typing it, but I was too slow getting it out on the keyboard to really capture what I was thinking.

Obviously, the other concern is what is direct damage from this issue. At the bottom line you've got folks who were operating their vehicles with the AMSOil service intervals when they weren't getting the additional filtration necessary to do so. I'm sure at one point or another we've all let the oil change slip from 3000 miles to 5000 miles in our old beaters, but going twice the distance on a much more expensive vehicle... that's supposed to last a long time... and has been on many dusty trails... under high heat and heavy usage...

I split this second message off of my initial reply to Johnny because I didn't want to give the impression that I'm looking for answers from him directly at this point. I'm (at this point) merely having my part of the conversation with the community. As I said above, I'm hopeful that SMB will do the right thing by the owners, and in the meantime I'd like them to focus on making the right decisions.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:10 AM   #37
CJ

Well said and I think I understand your initial thought.

The technical damage, if any most likely cannot be proven nor fixed nor taken back by SMB However, I’m’ absolutely sure that if correct decisions are made and the appropriate actions are taken every customer can be satisfied

Old 12-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #38

CJ, reading your response I couldn't help but think of this poster:

Old 12-04-2008, 12:20 PM   #39
CJ

Ah, 'Listless condition'........... yep I think its going to be.

I think the web address on that poster better describes it all. lol
Old 12-04-2008, 06:55 PM   #40
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buji
I, like many of the other SMB owners affected, also feel like there is an unknown and somewhat incalculable level of damage whether direct or indirect.
I asked about this problem with several diesel mechanics that maintain out fleet. All agreed that the oil running backwards was not a problem unless you went for unusually long intervals between oil changes. Being our utility tests the oil on all our BIT vehicles regularly and they are getting 10 to 12K miles using stock Delo motor oil, I think using AMSOIL filters (which are supposed to superior) and higher grade synthetic oil will only add longevity to our motors. But what one mechanic said hit home with me. He asked "do you test the oil every 5K miles"? How many owners do? I don't but will now. If some kind of contaminate gets into the oil, it's best to catch it as early as possible. I also plan to change the oil every 10-15K miles.

As for SMB's responsibilty, I hope they spring for the filters at least. It would be a simple token but they really should pay for the oil also IMO.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote